2006 xterra build question

vivithemage

Observer
I was curious, has anyone build an overland xterra with sleeping quarters inside the vehicle?

Did you fold the second row seats, or remove them? Or do most get a trailer/RTT?

Allof75

Pathfinder
I was curious, has anyone build an overland xterra with sleeping quarters inside the vehicle?

Did you fold the second row seats, or remove them? Or do most get a trailer/RTT?

I don't have an Xterra personally, but which generation are you talking about? I have a friend with the second gen, and he very easily removed the rear seat bottoms, folded the seats and slept in there. It would be extremely easy to cut a piece of plywood with a piano hinge to fit.

vivithemage

Observer
Sorry, I thought it was known that 2006 is the 'new' generation!

I'd like to see somoene's build to get ideas ... I also wouldn't mind having the ability to keep the second row seats in there too, in case we have company on the trip.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
How tall are you? I have a 2001, so its a bit smaller but at 6 feet tall I have no chance of fitting back there straight with the seats down

mortonm

Expedition Leader
yeah, I have been on there .... was trying to see what expo had to offer!

I am 6 foot, gf is about 5' 10"

do you already own the vehicle? I would just jump in there with the seats down and see how it feels, I think you will find its pretty tight.

vivithemage

Observer
I do own it, and it isn't horrible. I am just trying to devise a way to not need a RTT or a trailer for long expeditions/trips...and just camp inside the truck.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I know that you used to be able to get a tent that would connect to the back with the hatch open, would give you space to stand up and chance and with he hatch open you might have more leg room. If just one person you could sleep on an angle and probably be okay

skibum315

Explorer
I'm 6'3" and yes, I fit fine (quite comfortably, actually) for sleeping in the back; however with enough gear to support a longer (more than weekend) trip or more than two traveling light, I think you're going to find it less than workable.

For it to work for me, I have to have the seat bottoms (and headrests for the backs) out and the front seat all the way forwards ... then I put the 8gal Rubbermaid Action Packer that I use for recovery & emergency gear in front of the folded seat back. It winds up at the perfect height to extend the platform provided by the seat back and rear cargo area. If you've got the fold flat front seat like I do, it opens things up enough to not feel claustrophobic and gives a nice little shelf for my glasses, phone/alarm clock, headlamp, hat/gloves or anything else I might need quick and easy access to.

The problem, though (since I haven't made a dedicated platform to preserve any storage area), is that then you're sleeping in your main storage area and need a place to put anything that's there when you're not sleeping. This means it either winds up outside or all piled on one side of the truck if it's just me.

I suggest if you're serious about not using a ground tent or trailer, and want to set up the X for a longer trip, make like you're getting ready for it and see how much gear you've got ... heck load it all up, and try to see what the "getting ready for bed" routine will be. This will tell you whether it's really feasible for you, and if you still want to pursue it, what you need to do (as far as designing/implementing integrated storage under - or over, like an elevated rack - a sleeping space) if you're not willing to put stuff outside while you sleep.

pibi64

Hi Vivithemage,

I have a 2007 Xterra and I have built a sleeping platform. After removing the back seats I used some bed legs cut in different length, put a frame on them and then the platform. Here are some photos :

img5995cs.jpg

img5993et.jpg

img5991fg.jpg

img5992r.jpg

There are two hinges allowing the front and back parts of the platform to open (you can see them on the photos). I put some plastic boxes underneath.
I'm 6'1" so the platform is too short for me but with the front seats forward and a good camping pad it works great.

I have used it many times for short or long trips alone or with my wife and I find it very convenient if you can travel light. It starts to be less funny with bad weather outside ! When we don't travel light, or with bad weather or if we plan stay longer somewhere we bring a tent with an awning along (oztent) to be able to cook, eat etc...

wd3w.jpg

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998