2008 FJ

Cyclone.1983

Observer
Im sure these threads get old, but have a question. Currently looking at a 2008 FJ. has about 70k miles and they want about $22k. It has a lift, looks like 2-3 inches, aftermarket wheels, snorkel (which I don't need) and an aftermarket full rack that I cant tell what brand. Looks brand new inside. Question, now that they are no longer making the FJ, how will that reflect resale when I sell it 3 years down the road, and I know that some 2008's had some issues with something about the frame separating or welds breaking, cant remember, can anyone elaborate?

Dalko43

Explorer
$22k for a 2008 FJ iwth 70k miles seems a bit steep, but you should check on the quality of the mods before you agree with me on that.

Resale values will probably continue to go down for the foreseeable future...if they ever go up, it will be well into the future when people start collecting and restoring them the same way people nowadays are collecting and restoring old Jeeps and Land Cruisers.

Honestly, outside of its looks, there is nothing very unique about the FJ. The 5th gen 4runner pretty much offers everything the FJ does but with a different body. If I were you, and not in a rush, I would definitely wait a bit more for the price to depreciate some more.

As for the weld issue, I had heard something similar, but someone else with more experience will have to chime in on that.

F40

Adventurer
Check around the motor mounts... The frame is known to fail there.
bottom.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I would try to get a 2010+, which have more power and tougher axles.

I didn't pay much more than that for a pristine 2010 with 50k miles, last January. Although from what I have seen, prices have actually gone up some...hard to say how long that will last.

gkcarmory

Observer
I love to tell the story of a friends FJ... She opened the rear hatch to put her grocery's in... AND BAM the door fell off completely ...

Edit: guess I should have finished the sentence.. :)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cyclone.1983

Observer
little more info, talked to the salesmen (ive none him for years) the rack is ARB, the guy who traded it in just had it as a 3rd car, no off roading. snorkel is safari coilover radflow he didn't know what the sliders were. mint condition supposedly. But I agree, they are certainly asking to much for it.

'Check around the motor mounts... The frame is known to fail there..'

This is a misleading comment. Check the FJ forums for the real scoop. Jumping FJ's is closer to the truth as to why it might happen.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Im actually see used prices go thru the roof for FJC's around here. Toyota dealer is asking prices higher than what they cost new. I know there is wiggle room but they are asking 32 to 35k for 2 year old units.

berkmberk1

I paid a Toyota 19000 even (TT&L) for a thoroughly stock 2007 with the same miles. I shopped in a 100 mile radius from Springfield, IL (included St. Louis) and the early models with decent backgrounds all went for about 19. The private sales were over 20. Your's sounds like $1000 + in extras....so, about 19. You might even talk him down. If its really in decent shape, and you like it, I don't think you'ld be wrong.......

Thoreau

'Check around the motor mounts... The frame is known to fail there..'

This is a misleading comment. Check the FJ forums for the real scoop. Jumping FJ's is closer to the truth as to why it might happen.

There's nothing misleading about it at all. Jumping the trucks is not a requirement to develop this issue. It's no more relevant than what color shirt the drivers prefer to wear.

Zero trampoline time is necessary to encounter that issue.

Meanwhile there's no shortage of people trying for olympic medals in gymnastics with their FJ and having no signs of the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger