2009 Suburban

TMOD

I'm looking to purchase a 4X4 Suburban to start my first build and wanted a few expert opinions.
The primary purpose of this rig will be to tour the country after retirement in a couple of years. I want to finish up my state highpoints and hit some of the big national parks out west. I want to be able to camp and stealth camp out of it. Mostly on road use with occasional light off road needs. I backpack in the smokies often, and we family camp there as well a couple of times a year, so it will serve as a family hauler too.

Once I make a purchase, I'll start a build thread and be asking for plenty of advice and suggestions.
In the mean time, I've found what appears to be a pretty clean looking 2009 LT Z71 package with 111k miles and the guy is asking $16,500. I haven't looked at it yet, but plan on making the 1.5 hour trip to see it this week. This seems like a reasonable deal to me given the lowish miles and the z71 package.

Fair deal, great deal , or pass?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Read up on the thread about GM engine opinions. Does the 2009 you are looking at have Active Fuel Management? If so has it already suffered the inevitable destruction of the camshaft or, even worse, the entire engine? If the issue has already been repaired, you probably are set.

TMOD

Thanks for the heads up. I should have mentioned that it is a 1500 with the 5.3. So I'm sure it has the AFM.
I read the thread you recommended, now I'm thinking I should be looking at at an 05 or 06. I had an 03 GMT800 Tahoe a few years ago. It had 150k trouble free miles when I traded it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
principal AFM trouble was 07-08, but might be trouble in the later years. Depends on the driver more than anything. 9yrs and 111k mi it's reasonably safe to say it's not a problem.

Be more concerned with how the 4L60E trans was treated and how you'll be using it in the future. We've managed to reach 200k mi on our '05 Tahoe 4wd / Z71 / tow package without any signs of trouble in the trans. And I've got about 140k mi on my '02 Sub, but it was someone else's 'mom taxi' for the first 100k and it was kind of beat. And started slipping a bit under my hard driving until I did a couple partial fluid swaps with 'high mileage' trans fluid. Now it seems pretty good and I've also put a much larger external trans cooler (than the tiny one that came with the tow package setup).
Most of the tales of woe re a 4L60E seem to come from moderate to heavy tow loads and long extended grades with higher temps and drivers determinedly holding the drivetrain at high RPMs trying to stay in the power band. Seems to bea problem with differential heating in the trans pump and surrounding case, kills the seal, kills the trans. My trans coole rmade about a 40F improvement in operating temps under load. And I went ahead and dropped the factory 195F thermostat down to 180F and still have the typical GM in-tank trans line loop in place. That loop is really a 'warmer' for the trans rather than a cooler. And in heavy use / high temps, it doesn't leave you much of a safe temp margin for the 4L60E. 275F is the red zone on the factory guages and seems a close match for trans-death anecdotes. A better trans cooler gives you a lot more leeway.

The 5.3s have been solid performers for us, even with some light towing duties.

The second link in my sig has a lot of info about the typical troubles / fixes.

All that said, a '09-11 is likely my next leapfrog on a used Sub. But personally I don't much like their look. But IIRC the 900s are the last of the 'truck' frames.

TMOD

principal AFM trouble was 07-08, but might be trouble in the later years. Depends on the driver more than anything. 9yrs and 111k mi it's reasonably safe to say it's not a problem.

Be more concerned with how the 4L60E trans was treated and how you'll be using it in the future. We've managed to reach 200k mi on our '05 Tahoe 4wd / Z71 / tow package without any signs of trouble in the trans. And I've got about 140k mi on my '02 Sub, but it was someone else's 'mom taxi' for the first 100k and it was kind of beat. And started slipping a bit under my hard driving until I did a couple partial fluid swaps with 'high mileage' trans fluid. Now it seems pretty good and I've also put a much larger external trans cooler (than the tiny one that came with the tow package setup).
Most of the tales of woe re a 4L60E seem to come from moderate to heavy tow loads and long extended grades with higher temps and drivers determinedly holding the drivetrain at high RPMs trying to stay in the power band. Seems to bea problem with differential heating in the trans pump and surrounding case, kills the seal, kills the trans. My trans coole rmade about a 40F improvement in operating temps under load. And I went ahead and dropped the factory 195F thermostat down to 180F and still have the typical GM in-tank trans line loop in place. That loop is really a 'warmer' for the trans rather than a cooler. And in heavy use / high temps, it doesn't leave you much of a safe temp margin for the 4L60E. 275F is the red zone on the factory guages and seems a close match for trans-death anecdotes. A better trans cooler gives you a lot more leeway.

The 5.3s have been solid performers for us, even with some light towing duties.

The second link in my sig has a lot of info about the typical troubles / fixes.

All that said, a '09-11 is likely my next leapfrog on a used Sub. But personally I don't much like their look. But IIRC the 900s are the last of the 'truck' frames.
Thanks, Rayra. Curious though as to why you would say that at 9 yrs and 111k it is most likely not a problem? Isn't the issue more likely to develop the higher the miles add up?

XJLI

Adventurer
Thanks, Rayra. Curious though as to why you would say that at 9 yrs and 111k it is most likely not a problem? Isn't the issue more likely to develop the higher the miles add up?

Nope, the opposite usually with AFM. Around 60-70k.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A 2009 should have the 6L60 6 speed. I don't know if the 6L60 had the same well known issues as the 4L60.

My recommendation would be to ask your questions over at the Tahoe/Yukon forum. They have sub-boards for each specific generation so go straight to the GMT-900 (2007 - 2014) section to ask your question.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/categories/2007-2014-tahoe-yukon-escalade-models.3/

That board is very biased towards on-road vehicles, lowered/slammed customs on 22" rims, etc, BUT having said that, there is a ton of institutional knowledge on that board so if you're interested in a Chevy Tahoe or Suburban, it's well worth it to bookmark that page.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Now let's count down how many posts before a certain member comes onto this thread to trash Chevy. I'll say 2 more posts. :D

02TahoeMD

Explorer

At work in my group we have a spread of years of Tahoes, all of which have had problems. All are 5.3s and range from 2007 to 2012s. The 2007 we have just blew its engine this past spring at 125K miles. The 2011 that I have just ate its camshaft at 70K miles, was out of service a week. The other 2011 we have had to have the entire A/C rebuilt this spring which also landed it in the shop for a week. Others have had other unexpected repairs like blown solenoids, transmission issues, and popped radiator hoses. While not part of my own group of Tahoes, a bosses' 2017 Tahoe was in the shop at the same time as mine, for the replacement of the entire touchscreen system $$$$$. I have been a lifelong fan of Chevy but their quality does seem to have diminished, sadly. :cautious:

Not telling you to not go buy the 2009, just proceed with caution. Have it inspected thoroughly.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Tough to say. No vehicle (brand / model) is ever 100%. I had a '99 Tahoe, 2000 Suburban, 2003 Yukon Denali and a 2009 Suburban. They all had a few thing go on them. (nickel and dime stuff / normal wear parts) But, nothing major and none of them ever left me stranded on the side of the road. Dumb luck? Maybe.

plumber mike

Adventurer
My wife has an 07 with the 5.3. Getting close to 150k on it and no major issues. It burns enough oil to be a quart low at change time. I think the low oil light has come on twice when she’s gone overdue. It’s had plenty of issues with parking sensors, tire sensors, stabilitrac stuff and a terrible miss due to a bad coil. I feel it’s been on borrowed time for quite a while, but she likes it and will probably run it until it just won’t.
I’ve got an 01 Yukon and finally had to put a tranny in at 260k. Good truck. Will probably save it for one of the kids.
Several 6.0’s I’ve owned have been issue free.
After driving 6.0 and 8.1, the 5.3 just feels weak. It does fine on an empty vehicle but just a little weight really shows how small it really is.
15mpg average on the 5.3
12-14 on the 8.1. About 9 towing 8k
12-14 on the 6.0 in the trucks. I did have an express that would pull 19 on the highway though.

rayra

Expedition Leader

The AFM-induced trouble pretty much seems to come on much earlier, loss of compression and very rough running by 50-60k mi in several anecdotes that I've read. IIRC the '07-08 year usually manifests as a very bad ring wear issue of the heads / piston bores. It's a very weird issue of the engine guts NOT being under the strains of combustion pressures basically beating themselves up / having freedom to move about in odd ways, when the AFM shuts off cylinders.

TMOD

So I was planning to make the trip up tomorrow to look at the truck and the guy texted me today that it was just sold.
Oh well, the hunt continues. This thread has made me aware of a few things though, so thank you to everyone for their input. More research to do now!

Tiki

Observer
I would look for a pre 2007 or 2014+. Currently have an 07 that has had a few minor issues, nothing major, but agreed the build quality is just not that great. If you get an 07-13 Make sure you get the ~09+ and the 6 speed tranny.

To be honest, with the incentives the way they are with the trucks, think about nabbing a crew cab. Might be out of your current price range, but a brand new vehicle with factory warranty is the best platform for the money. Mattress and a topper and your ready to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger