2011 Hotshot Conversion

Hello everyone, I have been watching here for a while, I have recently got the overland bug. I also like the idea of having a tiny home, and living off the grid. I’ve seen everyone’s ambulance or Kodiak conversions on this site, and they look killer! I recently went out and picked up a 60 KW military generator and trailer, so I did something big enough to tow that with enough power and stopping power as well. So when this retire hotshot truck became available I thought what a perfect platform to start a conversion and still have the power at towing capabilities I need for my trailer. I will attach some pictures of the truck and trailer setup, also if you guys have any questions about either I would be more than happy to answer them. I want to do a full conversion complete with a toilet and shower, oven and range.

Attachments

• IMG_2424.jpeg
    IMG_2424.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2347.jpeg
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 81
Nice rig. What are you going to use the generator for?
Thank you! Plan on using the generator for back up at my property as well as power until we get solar setup, and leave it on the trailer so it’s mobile. Also if I need to power something on the road or get temp power to the camper.

Little bit of info on the truck just to give you guys a back story. Retired Santa Fe Hotshot crew buggy, 145000 miles 5500 hours International Workstar with the Maxxforce 9 9.3 I6 engine, Allison transmission factory rear locker, non 4x4 factory 11r22.5 wheels and tires I think that comes out to like a 41” tire. Rear independent AC and heat, factory inverter I just have to locate it.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2411.jpeg
    IMG_2411.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2434.jpeg
    IMG_2434.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2445.jpeg
    IMG_2445.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
Cool, glad to hear you are not going to be using a 60KW generator while camped near me.;)
😂 yea it can get a little loud. Mainly will stay on my property. Gonna do full solar on the camper. Wanted to get some input on what you guys think about pass thru vs exterior entry?

Got all the seats taken out of the back. Next is to remove the existing interior cabinetry, then cut down the upper shelving so it doesn’t stick out as far.

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpeg
    IMG_2454.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50

ITTOG

Given the size it makes a pass through simple. I would definitely add it on that vehicle. I look forward to following along.

Given the size it makes a pass through simple. I would definitely add it on that vehicle. I look forward to following along.
I’m thinking so just the fact of being able to access the cab from the camper seems like enough reason to me. Just have to get the windows taken out and cut it through. What is everyone’s experience with the accordion style pass thru rubber?

Blair G

Adventurer
Do you have a pass thru in there or is it still rear entry only, and how difficult was it to remove the existing interior bins
I dont have a pass through. My spare tire will remain behind the cab and in front of the box. With the rear opening door moving the spare tire wasn't worth it to me. I did have the thought of modifying the box so that I could have a side entry but decided it wasn't worth it. I like the rear door and how large the door is.
Not sure what bins you mean? IF you mean the overhead bins they were not that bad. I wanted to remove them as well as the metal ceiling. Wanted to add good insulation and have a wood ceiling and side cabinets. VANw:Big truck.jpg

These are what I mean by the interior “bins” I’m planing on removing these aswell as the metal storage containers on top.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior