2011 Hotshot Conversion

Just picked up this trailer for my generator, instead of the one I had it in, this is the correct trailer used to haul the generator IMG_2650.jpeg
And it’s on 10r22.5 almost the same tires that are on the truck.

speroleon

Congrats on the new rig. We picked up a twin to your truck in Arizona this summer. I will be using it to tow a 30 ft enclosed race car trailer as well as other Adventures. The fully loaded trailer weighs about 12,000 lb so I really wanted to do a proper hitch install. The rear overhang extended too far, so we had to extend the frame and then weld and bolt in a class V hitch that should safely tow up to 20,000 lb. We're starting with that and going to just do temporary and removable living systems to see what works for us before committing to surgery. I hope to start a build thread soon, but I have attached a few pics below.

How much does your trailer and generator weigh? Also have you decided what to do with the big rear AC / Heater?

06b7fc901a54bcd4b7c2c6635cb32010.jpg
05bbfe266efad6811ffa856f32e7e8c2.jpg
90441883498cea21128648d378fe9841.jpg
2c827fa2a898ca45aac23f42468d44a1.jpg
024d11ee9f05e69f37103880609ae42c.jpg
0a1604d7776982e70241c469540103c3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new rig. We picked up a twin to your truck in Arizona this summer. I will be using it to tow a 30 ft enclosed race car trailer as well as other Adventures. The fully loaded trailer weighs about 12,000 lb so I really wanted to do a proper hitch install. The rear overhang extended too far, so we had to extend the frame and then weld and bolt in a class V hitch that should safely tow up to 20,000 lb. We're starting with that and going to just do temporary and removable living systems to see what works for us before committing to surgery. I hope to start a build thread soon, but I have attached a few pics below.

How much does your trailer and generator weigh? Also have you decided what to do with the big rear AC / Heater?

06b7fc901a54bcd4b7c2c6635cb32010.jpg
05bbfe266efad6811ffa856f32e7e8c2.jpg
90441883498cea21128648d378fe9841.jpg
2c827fa2a898ca45aac23f42468d44a1.jpg
024d11ee9f05e69f37103880609ae42c.jpg
0a1604d7776982e70241c469540103c3.jpg

************!! Gald to see someone else converting one of these! It’s a killer platform to start from! The combo weighs about 6000# give or take fuel. The trailer has factory air brakes so I’m going to try and incorporate the air from the truck to use for the glad hands on the trailer. I like what you did with the hitch! Did you remove the factory motorized steps? That’s how I’ve been getting in and out of the back since these don’t have a pass thru. I’m currently working on doing a pintle hook style hitch in my rear bumper so that I can keep my steps in tact. And because the only thing I plan to to is the generator and that’s the style of hitch the trailer takes. As far as the giant A/C and heater I was planning on leaving it for now so I can use them and then later down the road once I get all my solar setup I will remove that giant thing and go to 2 smaller roof top units like in an RV.

Not much to report as far as progress, I’ve started on all my plumbing and my water pump system. I’m thinking of going with a propane 12v DC water heater. This weekend I am getting all of my solar components so I will have that to get started on too. Hopefully get quite a bit done over the holidays giving myself about a year to have this completed. The little progress I got was mounting the gravity fill water dish

Attachments

• IMG_2695.jpeg
    IMG_2695.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2693.jpeg
    IMG_2693.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

speroleon

Yes, we did have to lose the Kwikee Steps. Initially I was very reluctant to remove them, but after using them a bit, I became less attached. They were nice because they went up and down automatically with the rear door opening and closing, however they were sort of unsafe when they became slippery in rain and when we were parked on any down slope. Plus the riser heights were unequal and awkward from the ground and the top of the bumper. I ended up getting a set of Torklift Glowsteps that work really well. I just attached their bracket under the bumper and are easily removed and attached.
90d90b9bb64bba8195255e356fb4d1cc.jpg
b3364863dd15d6a1ad62f8353f14be23.jpg

speroleon

I'm planning on keeping the existing AC/Heater for now as well. I think it will be useful to get the box cooled down and heated up while we're driving to our destination, and then use whatever future systems we install when parked. I was constantly hitting my head on it until we put in the queen short bed under it.

I'm not keen on adding extra height with a rooftop unit, plus I'm planning on using the roof as a deck. For now we're using a propane Olympic Wave Catalytic Heater for heat and considering the Pioneer Pioneer 9,000 BTU 115V Under-Bench RV Heat Pump Air Conditioner in the future. It looks like a perfect fit in the bottom shelf area in the rear.

Yea I have noticed that no matter how many times I use the rear step I always seem to screw up my foot timing and trip. I can see them being dangerous when wet. I agree with you about adding height aswell. And the roof real estate being valuable. I’m getting ready to install 4 solar panels up there a we will see what that leaves me with. And I still need to have room for my maxx air fan. I was considering getting a diesel heater to put in one of the bins to help heat the box. Planned on doing propane for my water heater and for my range. And it’s nice since all of the side bins are already vented!

Deleted Member 183

If you are going propane then you might want to look into aluminum forklift tanks "plumbed" for gas rather than liquid. I researched, then had custom tanks made for me about 10 years ago. On Casa I carry 2x 44lb. tanks (DOT Approved). One tank is more than enough, but I set up Casa for being lightered by my Jeep Scrambler when we do extended stays down on the beach in Baja. That way I can take the empty tank to town ( 1.75 hours south of us) for a refill (with shopping) While mama stays "home" and makes chocolate chip cookies!

2017_03 009.jpg

Casa_Toad.jpg

Deleted Member 183

I also wanted to add:

That if you are planning to travel in to rural Mexico/ Central America that portable tanks on your vehicle is a good thing because there are a lot of rural "fill stations" that don't permit/ have the ability to pull an RV up to. With portable tanks you can stand in line with the Indian women and wait your turn ( and practice your Spanish).

Reactions: mog
Finally some progress to report over the weekend I drove up to Reno and picked up all of my solar components. I wanted to go with all Victron components because I feel like they’re the best in the industry so I’m dedicating the passenger side front bin completely to all the electronics. I was worried about the batteries not fitting but after some Tetris, I got them the way I want them I just have to make some holddowns.

I went with the victory multi plus II compact 2000KVA inverter as well as the MPPT 100/50 and the Orion DC 2 DC charger

I also got the shore power Plug mounted in the truck as well as the main breaker for the shore power. I’m planning to get everything mounted and then do the wiring last.

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpeg
    IMG_2709.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2715.jpeg
    IMG_2715.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

speroleon

If you are going propane then you might want to look into aluminum forklift tanks "plumbed" for gas rather than liquid. I researched, then had custom tanks made for me about 10 years ago. On Casa I carry 2x 44lb. tanks (DOT Approved). One tank is more than enough, but I set up Casa for being lightered by my Jeep Scrambler when we do extended stays down on the beach in Baja. That way I can take the empty tank to town ( 1.75 hours south of us) for a refill (with shopping) While mama stays "home" and makes chocolate chip cookies!

View attachment 810919

View attachment 810920
I like the idea of lighter, larger propane tanks. However, how do you convert them so they are safe for gas versus liquid propane?

Deleted Member 183

Let me warn you right off the bat that "propane people" don't easily open up to people inquiring about unusual components!!!
But here is some information that might help you from Manchester Tank:

look into these part numbers.

9257TC: 20lb
931X: 33.5lb ( will have to be replumbed)
916X: 43.5lb ( will have to be replumbed)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior