2012 Dodge 5500 - Expedition Camper - The build has started

dtruzinski

Explorer
Interior Dimensions

The over cab bed is a queen (60" x 80").

The dinette bed is a large single (36" x 80")

General interior height is 80"

Bathroom is 31"x 32"

Entry door is 24"

The over cab bed has the fire escape /moon roof positioned such that you can sit up in bed. The upper bed is easy to get into with a large step over the water tank (located in the middle of the camper between the refrigerator and shower)

It is very spacious and has ample interior and exterior storage.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Do I understand that you are going with super singles? Have you checked with BobLynch about his super single wheels? He found them a bad choice from what I gathered.

Ram5500

Observer
Do I understand that you are going with super singles? Have you checked with BobLynch about his super single wheels? He found them a bad choice from what I gathered.

Curious, a bad choice in what regard?

I am happy with mine, just a bit of a balancing issue to work out yet. Mine are double beadlocks from Stazworks with Continental MPT 81's 365/80 R20. I believe his are Rickson wheels w/ same tires in the 335/80 R20 size.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I can not speak for Bob. But what I gathered from a thread about rig sizes. Bob said that the super singles were overkill and not justifiable in cost. My quote" That is alot of money to drive 3000 miles on blacktop to offroad 10 miles. I may have misunderstood his statement, but that is what I got out of it. I was trying to justify singles when that thread came about. It helped my decide that I would stick with duals on my 450.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Super Singles vs duals - thinking is evolving

back on the super single vs duals thread...I think the notion of cost justifying a part time expedition rig is going to be difficult regardless of whether it has single or duals. There is no denying that the super single conversion is expensive. At some point you have call uncle and quit investing (code word for spending) on the rig. I am approaching that point, but have some planned investments ahead.

After looking at the options, I have elected to slow down that part of the conversion. My current thinking has shifted to the 20" wheels. A 275/80R20 MPT 81 Measures 37.4" Tall and 10.43" Wide. It is speed rated for a maximum of 68 MPH. Max load rating is 4674 Lbs at 77PSI. Since the camper is less than 3000 lbs, I should have plenty carrying capacity. That makes the tire 5" taller and 2" wider than the stock tires. I would be interested in feedback on this approach.

btw...Dan and Heather @ Rickson has been incredible to work with. I would HIGHLY recommend this company for any wheel need. However, be aware they are backlogged now and if you have an urgent need, patience will be the order of the day.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Maiden Voyage

Prep: I added a full rubber mat between the camper and flatbed (1/2" of cushioning and extra friction to hold camper in place). The mat was 8 3'x3' squares purchased at Home Depot...the kind of mat used for people to stand on and reduce fatigue. Flushed and then filled the fresh water system. We loaded the camper with the essentials for survival (beer and wine) and set out on our annual Thanksgiving trip to Paradise Valley, Montana.

We left Denver late Friday evening and stopped alongside the freeway just South of Casper WY for the night. The temp had dipped into the high 30's by the time we stopped and crew piled into the camper. The crew is my wife, daughter and two muts. Unlike prior truckbed campers, we found the Northstar American Hero to have plenty of room for 3 adults. Four adults would be tight, but doable and two adults plus 2 kids would be a breeze...this is a roomy camper. Not quite Earthroamer roomy, but better than any camper I have been in.

We set heater low...it is very quiet and only came on a couple of times during the night. This is a testament to the insulation on this camper. We awoke to 5 degree weather with wind blowing hard and 4" of snow covering the landscape and the truck. I am truly amazed at the thermal efficiency of the camper. We had no idea that a storm had blown in

The next 10 hours was spent driving on hard packed snow. Although the transportation departments sand in these areas, there are long stretches of road that go without any treatment. We counted 6 rollovers, mostly before the MT border. I wanted to see how this combination would handle in snow, just had not planned on it for this trip.

The combination of the flatbed camper and the Dodge 5500 seemed to be perfect. No sway, no slip and it cruised nicely at 55-60 mph in 4x4. Because of the conditions, I wanted the transmission to help slow the rig, so I left it in tow/haul mode. This eliminates 6th gear and that combined with 4x4 delivered me a whopping 8.9 mpg! Thankfully it has a 50 gal tank. There are only 4k miles on this, so I am not even close to break in.

The truck has Continental HDR 225/70 19.5's and they gripped extremely well in hard packed snow. I was simply amazed at the stability of the entire rig. I pulled up the driveway in 6" of dry powder and didn't spin a tire. So far so good.

We will spend 3 days touring the North end of Yellowstone (it is the only road open in winter) and then Thanksgiving at our MT cabin in Paradise Valley. We are home now and the journey is just beginning.

boblynch

Adventurer
Love the rig. Back when I was in the design phase I was thinking Dodge 5500 and a flatbed Northstar. Rex at Northstar was great and I liked the Dodge. However, at the time they didn't have a large enough side door model and the crew cab Dodge's didn't were a full rear door. We opted for a Ford and Lance (modified).

I sent you a PM on tires. We love our super singles, but as you mentioned some things would be hard to cost justify. Dan and Heather at Rickson were wonderful, but it was a very long process. At the time we were the first 20x10 wheels they had done so it took a while to get parts and balancing sorted out. They were very patient and we eventually got things squared away.

Glad to see you're on the road. Wish I had a cabin in Paradise Valley too. A couple years ago we spent a few days right down the road at Pine Creek before heading into Yellowstone. The kids still talk about that part of the trip. Hope to head back that way sometime soon. Happy trails!

dtruzinski

Explorer
Bumper, winch and wheels...espar/webasto heater??

I bought a Warn 16.5 winch and a buck-stop bumper (baja edition) details at http://www.buckstop.biz/dodge10_baja.html. The bumper is under construction and should be here soon.

I also completed my Rickson order. I bought 20x9's and am having them mount Conti MPT81's 275/20. They will carry the load of this rig without issue.

I am looking into the espar heating system. Spent a couple of days touring in MT and every time I entered the camper, I nearly froze to death. I could have left the propane heater running, but like the idea of the truck coolant heating the camper. Has anyone attempted this install or a Webasto?

Ram5500

Observer
I have been considering switching from the propane furnace as well, spoke with Bruce at Bruce's Coach http://www.brucecoachinc.com/ this summer. Looking at Espar/Webasto or Proheat with heat exchangers in the camper. This would enable engine & cab pre- heat as well as camper.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:what an absolutely awesome looking camper! Can you give us a ball park figure about how much you payed for it? Just curious. Congratulations on a truly beautiful rig!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman