2012 Dodge ram 2500 headed for Europe.

155mm

Adventurer
Don't count out heading east from Germany either. I've driven around in the western half of Poland and some of the Czech Republic. It's beautiful there and lots of cool places to drive through. It didn't hurt that there were some ridiculously good looking girls in Poland :Wow1:

For the areas that I was, I found that cops didn't really care as long as you weren't going faster than everyone else (everyone has to speed, as a 30km/hr limit on some roads was ridiculous). At worst you may get a small ~$20 "fine" but I think that was more for locals than tourists, according to my buddy who lives there. Not that many people visit Poland so you've got a lot more leeway as long as you aren't being stupid or meet that 1% of cops that give everyone hell.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The ferry to morocco leaves from southern spain, there's a selection depending on with vehicle or without

http://www.frs.es/en/ferrys-to-spain-morocco.html

All near Gibralta-Tarrifa

looks like you'll need a Europe 101 map course:)

Germany TUV wise if it didn't come on the car when you bought it, or it does not have a TUV stamp then its probably not going to pass the annual test, but this is based on me owning german car along time ago, but may have changed.

But maybe the military have a different system as I'm sure I saw a lifted XJ on here somewhere who was also in Germany with the military.

Adventure in Europe we don't have wide open spaces like you have in the states, but there are other things that will amuse you I'm sure

Culture, buildings older than America, buildings built before the Americas were discovered,wine that tastes nice:), beer manufactured from real ingredients no chemicals allowed by law !
cheese actually made from cows milk, cheese with flavor and yes the blue stuff is mold !
Oh and yes we were fighting the muslim Hordes before we discovered the Americas, see world history 101- Templar Knights and King Richard 1

Chrysler are here in Europe, they may not have parts in stock but they can definitely get them for you, just take longer.

Last edited:

SebM

Observer
Some area in Europe do have many tracks, you can feel there as an adventure.

Northern Spain
P5041696.JPG

Southern France
dRLJFiKv5orcFg7z4QVz_9-Y3vTDMbhWNOipeDya7Tg=w862-h539-no

P1000939.JPG

Southern Albania
P8090112.JPG

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Check out RV.net.

There is a German member on RV.net, posts under the name of "Flaxi" who has, or has had, an American truck camper in Europe for years. Also at least one French member as well.

Focus more on tourism and less on "wheeling" and you will have a great tour and love your truck.

But do take all your consumables; filters, belts, etc. for the duration of your expected tour.

Beyond that, don't sweat the small stuff. Rumor to the contrary, American trucks don't suddenly stop working just because they leave the United States.

BlackWidow

Observer
I really wish i would have known about overlanding when i was stationed in Germany. Instead I raced bicycles which was awesome initself but I would have definitely went to morocco. oh well its still not to late. Germany is an awesome place i hope you have a great tour there.

raven mad 1

Observer
The ferry to morocco leaves from southern spain, there's a selection depending on with vehicle or without

http://www.frs.es/en/ferrys-to-spain-morocco.html

All near Gibralta-Tarrifa

looks like you'll need a Europe 101 map course:)

Germany TUV wise if it didn't come on the car when you bought it, or it does not have a TUV stamp then its probably not going to pass the annual test, but this is based on me owning german car along time ago, but may have changed.

But maybe the military have a different system as I'm sure I saw a lifted XJ on here somewhere who was also in Germany with the military.

Adventure in Europe we don't have wide open spaces like you have in the states, but there are other things that will amuse you I'm sure

Culture, buildings older than America, buildings built before the Americas were discovered,wine that tastes nice:), beer manufactured from real ingredients no chemicals allowed by law !
cheese actually made from cows milk, cheese with flavor and yes the blue stuff is mold !
Oh and yes we were fighting the muslim Hordes before we discovered the Americas, see world history 101- Templar Knights and King Richard 1

Chrysler are here in Europe, they may not have parts in stock but they can definitely get them for you, just take longer.

Nice. We are deff. Looking forward to the history ( buildings older than America ), I do want the truck to be offroad capable, but not so much that it can't be drivin down the autobahn at speed... It's going to be a very interesting 3 years, and I am so looking forward to getting my daughters out of the states to give them some perspective...

raven mad 1

Observer
I really wish i would have known about overlanding when i was stationed in Germany. Instead I raced bicycles which was awesome initself but I would have definitely went to morocco. oh well its still not to late. Germany is an awesome place i hope you have a great tour there.

For years I was into ex stream trails, and rock crawling... Then, well, I grew up, got tired of breaking parts to only replace and break again... Last year I started to make the transition to expedition type off-roading, built a jeep for it, and love it... Now, with the pending move, it only seems natural that we would go exploring in Europe now... Jeep, well, deff. Not street legal in Germany.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hello Raven. I am glad to see that you will be traveling in Europe and that you have a posting in Germany.
I have a Germ,an friend here on expo that is very friendly and quite familiar with the laws regarding what you can, and can not do to a vehicle in Germany. He is a really friendly, helpfull, and knowledgeable guy. He is a link to his Blazer build...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/47695-German-98-Blazer-build

Give him a shout and say that Chilliwak sent you. I hope this helps and have a good trip/posting.
Cheers Chilli...:)

raven mad 1

Observer
Found this truck, it's pretty close to what I want to do, but with aluminus bumpers front and rear instead of the pre runner style bumpers... image.jpg

Love these bumpers... image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman