2012 Range Rover HSE Build/ Travel Write Up

Colorofkris

Finally got the dogs swapped out with the yellow LEDs

8c2032cc4d41631ed55811046552a24f.jpg

b6d9bf91cf00766413abf43d3eb256fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

Officially swapped the Rooftop tent over to the Range Rover today as well as the awning! Hitting Cars $
& coffee tomorrow with it then next weekend it will be taking its first camp trip!

eb6d37e53ff89581485feef035671fb7.jpg

27ca97e1544a01188e81f921f5b456e6.jpg

81dde00385f877e54d4843e2657c7224.jpg

48d940a082539d300ad627e8b23ef687.jpg

Colorofkris

That's awesome. Hopefully that's the end of the issues, and you can focus on the upgrades.

Fingers are definitely crossed lol. It’s been driving good now for a week. I know the motors are inherently loud but I deft feel like it’s louder then it should be. Not sure if it’s the new injectors or timing noise ?. I’m probably going to do another oil change incase some fuel got mixed into the gas.

gatorgrizz27

Officially swapped the Rooftop tent over to the Range Rover today as well as the awning! Hitting Cars $
& coffee tomorrow with it then next weekend it will be taking its first camp trip!

eb6d37e53ff89581485feef035671fb7.jpg

27ca97e1544a01188e81f921f5b456e6.jpg

81dde00385f877e54d4843e2657c7224.jpg

48d940a082539d300ad627e8b23ef687.jpg

I‘ve got to ask…

Why have limb lifters on the D1 that will still catch/destroy the snorkel and roof rack lights. Form over function?

Colorofkris

I‘ve got to ask…

Why have limb lifters on the D1 that will still catch/destroy the snorkel and roof rack lights. Form over function?

Replacing a snorkel head and some cheap hella lamps are way cheaper and easier to replace then a windshield. Also they make great drying racks and a place to hang stuff out of the way which is what they get used for the most.

Colorofkris

Just finished up installing a ride height sensor on my buddies Lr4 this evening and snapped quick photo in the rain, thought it was pretty cool. Getting hyped for the Helen trip next weekend!

e0e1310a6cef23c25e0d52617a915e3f.jpg

Colorofkris

I’m writing up my trip report from camping this last weekend but figured I would do a pre trip update.

Range Rover has been running decent for over a week now. I ordered new spark plugs which just came in yesterday (weekend job). It’s running a little noisy and stuttering a lot as well as still running slightly lethargic. I’m hoping these do the trick. I figured with the injectors being stuck open it might have fowled a couple plugs. If those don’t do the trick then I will look into mafs, throttle body, and coil packs.

Also in lieu of off-roading during the camp trip I wanted to make sure I had my spare tire. It does not fit in the trunk so the tire carrier was my only option. I went ahead and cut the hitch mount to better fit the swing rack and to keep it as snug up to the tail gate as I could. I also ratchet strapped the traction boards to the spare and threw in the trash bag too. Idk if I’m the biggest fan but it works well and I don’t think it looks to to awful.

Pre camp
2f4457f1d999c0cc048dca1dd3984823.jpg

6c9604fc4eb33cfa4135c9a00c38e66d.jpg

57273104708e83ed3f02ee6d2e4a819d.jpg

Post camp
43b9fcb347b01bd4bd5c5d071df34b26.jpg

081baae3b3bfa14bf148a7ed566e3c56.jpg

Colorofkris

Trip report Helen

Finally! After months of problems with the Range Rover I finally got to reap the benefits of such a luxurious off-roader! On that note the Range Rover really did do a great job this weekend, I was slightly nervous putting up to this big of a task untested in the wild yet. It seems to be running slightly lethargic and it’s making a little bit of noise so I ordered spark plugs which will get swapped this weekend. I think one of the plugs fowled when the injector was stuck open. No check engine lights or warnings though. Only other fault I’m running with currently is an intermittent camera fault (big whoop) and a tire pressure sensor fault which is due to the defender wheels running a different tpms sensor than the l322 did.

Anyways, let’s get on with the details of the trip.

Friday was a late start. The wife got home late from work and my buddy that was hitching a ride ended up being even later. Luckily Adam ended up heading to Helen Thursday night and secured us a camp sight. We headed out of Greenville and met up with Tucker, who’s got a D2, over in Clemson. A quick gas up, some last minute groceries, and some Chick-fil-A then we were on the road. We stopped just before the forest road, aired down and made our way into the forest. It was about 1030 before we even hit gravel. Within the first 1/4 mile we rolled past a gnarly D110 sitting along the river with a guy camping out so we stopped and made some quick conversation then kept heading towards camp. We ended up seeing a few owls on the way to camp which was also pretty cool.

We finally rolled into camp about 11ish. A quick pop of the tent and a beer and we were sitting by the fire roasting hot dogs talking rovers. The temperature this trip was absolutely something to brag about. I have to say it was the most comfortable I have ever slept due to the temperature.

Saturday everyone got up pretty early, we made a solid breakfast of bacon, eggs, hash browns, and packages with coffee before packing up camp and hitting the road. We made our way to
Trey Mtn after only 1 wrong turn.

Trey mtn was pretty dry compared to the last time I was out there. We ended up running a few of the washed out rocky sections a couple times. The very rocky section coming down to one of the forks that takes you back to Helen we got held up by a Jeep Jl unlimited trying to make its way down the rocky grade, all 3 rovers walked down it like it was just a speed bump lol. It’s incredible how capable these vehicles are and how nonchalantly they do it. After that section we came up to an area that’s deeply rutted and normally underwater and we saw a baby black bear which was pretty neat.. It was bone dry today so we decided to flex it out and play around in this area which was pretty fun and also a great opportunity to see how much clearance the Range Rover had. After some flexing and messing around we headed down the mountain back to Helen for an ice cream break. We split up and the wife and I as well as Tucker in the D2 headed back into the woods to find camp, Adam took his kids out tubing and planned to regroup at camp.

We rolled up into a different camp spot that I had actually stayed at before in the disco. We set up camp and just chilled out until Adam rolled in.

Dinner was chicken Stirfry with noodles on the flat top which was pretty good, not my proudest camping meal. This evening is the Strawberry moon so the group decided to hike up the closed forest road next to camp (which I’ve hiked before) up to the top of the mountain we were camped on. The top is extremely interesting, it goes from a heavily wooded area to a large green clearing of wild flowers and green onions. From there we had a pretty good 360 view of the surrounding mountains to watch the sunset and the moon rise. The strawberry moon was pretty dang and we couldn’t have picked a better way to catch it. As the sun set and the moon came out the fireflies came out in full force. They were everywhere in the field. It was quite the site to see! We made out decent in the dark back down to camp where we finished off the night with a poor man’s banana foster and some freeze dried crème brûlée, which was absolutely delicious, and some s’mores. Saturday was top notch!

Sunday the rain rolled in around 5am and sprinkled up until about 730 so no one was in any rush to hop out of bed. Eventually we all got up intermittently and started packing up camp. Once camp was packed up we made another big breakfast and headed off. Tucker left early before breakfast, Adam and I rolled out together which we planned to stop and air up in Helen then run by a favorite coffee shop of mine outside of Helen called sweet water coffee house. Their honey mocha is absolutely amazing.

I usually like to wind down a camp trip with some coffee or something, gives you a chance to come back to reality a little but also getting the chance to sit down with the team allows the group to discuss the good and the bad from the trip, gear needs vs wants, personal feeling on the overall direction of the trip, and to kick start the planning process of our next trip. Overall this was an awesome trip and I’m looking forward to doing more with the Range Rover!

You can also check out the video from our trip with the link below

36138b850c19ef46385f9255f8ff93f5.jpg

482c7dc2cfb44d748640ee61ba594c4e.jpg

d5a21702410f7b510e9a197a8e195301.jpg

7f612e480673fa7f295169681f2a8a94.jpg

74d2dc6ca556316e23d985d54217c069.jpg

25b4c587937c8b2f85f127c153cab4b5.jpg

03a6e595412b89c7cd1dbb432df24e6f.jpg

gatorgrizz27

Good write up. I’ve often referred to Land Rover’s traction control as “black magic.” It’s crazy how well it works. A wheel spins half a turn, you keep a steady throttle, and the vehicle moves forward. Even climbing out of sandy ruts it’s just amazing. This is one of my favorite demonstrations of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan