2012 Range Rover HSE Build/ Travel Write Up

Colorofkris

I did check that, but it’s coming from behind the idler pulley.

I’m guessing water pump or the coolant outlet pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSP

That front pipe under the intake is difficult to look at. I used a camera. If it is the main water pump it's a very straightforward process. You'll see a lot of conflicting info online. The fan shroud is one piece on the 322 not two pieces like the lr4/sport. The fan clutch is reverse thread.

Colorofkris

That front pipe under the intake is difficult to look at. I used a camera. If it is the main water pump it's a very straightforward process. You'll see a lot of conflicting info online. The fan shroud is one piece on the 322 not two pieces like the lr4/sport. The fan clutch is reverse thread.

I plan to pop the intake manifold anyways to check it. Was a pretty easy job to pull out. There is a small leak coming from the throttle body tree to the water-pump so I’ll be replace that anyways. I’ve seen a lot of videos op people removing the water pump without pulling the fan, I know the 4.4l was a little tighter of a fit so you had to remove the fan.

Colorofkris

Hose #14 where it connects to the water pump is has a small leak. When looking under the Rover before I noticed coolant dripping from that connection. I fiddled with it and it seems to being dripping now at Ann extremely low rate now, thought the coolant is still steadily dripping under the Rover. I fully plan to replace this line, but so far it’s the only source I could find of a leak. Due to inclement weather I haven’t been able to dig into the leak any further. Most likely Saturday morning I will dig some more. I’m hoping this is the culprit and it was just from me cleaning the throttle body. However I feel it’s going to be a bigger project then that.

The second picture is of the fitting from under the Rover. This is a still from the video I got so it’s kinda hard to tell, but in the video it looks like a pretty steady pour from the fitting.

I will be picking up a bottle of coolant, topping it off Saturday morning, in which I will run the Rover and see if it wants to tell its secrets lol.

I will post up a link to the YouTube video. I do have a channel where you can keep up to date on a lot more Rover stuff and also bare witness to my frustrations.

68c2f687e36e15522442355be4781387.jpg

3c9a240467bf16fb5cde384fb2e65b67.jpg

GSP

Is it leaking from the little plastic 90 that pushes into that fitting in the water pump? The female fitting is part of the water pump. The 90 just pushes in.

Attachments

• 20230428_174757.jpg
    20230428_174757.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Colorofkris

Is it leaking from the little plastic 90 that pushes into that fitting in the water pump? The female fitting is part of the water pump. The 90 just pushes in.

I believe it’s the female fitting which I have a new one on order as well as a brass 90 to replace the plastic one as it’s known to be brittle. I also ordered a whole knee coolant tree that it’s connected to so I have a spare in my kit and plan to order a spare female adapter. I checked it this morning and that’s exactly where the leak is coming from.

Colorofkris

Since I’m incapable of sitting still and waiting for parts I went ahead and pulled the elbow from the female connector of the water pump. Turns out the male end of the elbow snapped off into the water pump. Lucky after a quick thought, I pulled the female connector out and used a misc wood screw to tap into the remaking plastic from the elbow and got it out of the water pump. That being said I’m waiting for the new brass connector to come in as well as the new female connector.

c1426aad7674f6c53bd6b0cea40b07b8.jpg

0f96f664d34b5e5e54923971d9b01bd3.jpg

2b30941325357d7e8579482abc5770ed.jpg

GSP

So... how do you get the brass out? A new water pump comes with that installed. Did you press IN on the plastic collar and pull the elbow OUT. The collar is part of the brass fitting. You might be able to see it in the pic I posted of my old water pump.

Colorofkris

So... how do you get the brass out? A new water pump comes with that installed. Did you press IN on the plastic collar and pull the elbow OUT. The collar is part of the brass fitting. You might be able to see it in the pic I posted of my old water pump.

I’m not removing the brass fitting. As for the removal of the elbow the end was broken off so the elbow slid out without having to press or anything, the area that locks it in on the elbow was clean broken off which is what I used the screw to take out. The new brass elbow kit I ordered comes with a new female connector/ plastic collar.

This is the kit I bought.
5466d8274e4a8b5214ed1519dba95b42.jpg

This is the old collar, but it’s still in good shape
603afa1e079a4b79983a1bd8b47debde.jpg

GSP

Ok cool. Good to know. Where did you find that? I always thought that elbow was a disaster in the making. Now if we could replace the plastic crossover pipes with something that's not plastic. I think the front pipe on the SC is metal.

Colorofkris

Ok cool. Good to know. Where did you find that? I always thought that elbow was a disaster in the making. Now if we could replace the plastic crossover pipes with something that's not plastic. I think the front pipe on the SC is metal.

When I looked up the part number for the whole tree assembly this came up on ebay, turns out that a few years back someone finally made a brass one to replace the plastic one, cheaper alternative to the Rover fix which looks like a nightmare, a pain to find info on, and expensive. I hope someone comes up with metal fix to those cross over pipes. I’ve seen a few metal options that say they are “replacements” but they don’t look like they would fit

Colorofkris

I feel I should change the name of the forum to “From Bad To Worse”

That being said I plugged up the new elbow into the water pump. I ended up using the new plastic elbow since the brass elbow wouldn’t let the female connector grab it. It would just slide out. I was planning to get coolant and bleed it out tomorrow morning but it seems that I have run into a much bigger problem now.

I thought….”Hey, since the coolant leak is “done” now, I can go ahead and work on the pcv valves….” Famous last words. I went to pull off the first pcv valve and what do you know, Land Rovers lovely plastic valve covers were a little old and brittle, the prongs on the valve cover that the pcv clips into decided the wanted to break off instead of the cap breaking free. So now I have 1 off, 2 of the prongs on one cap are broken off which are conveniently next to each other. The new cap doesn’t seal at all. Luckily I have the pieces that broke off so they didn’t make their way into any open holes.

At this point I have 2 options.

Option 1 is to try and make a bush mechanic fix and do a plastic jb weld to try and rest those prongs, in theory the jb weld should hold the pressure since it’s rated up to 3000 ish psi at a total repair cost of roughly $15 and hope that it will hold pressure

Option 2 is to replace the whole valve cover. The cost of that goes drastically up as well as the amount of work that will go into replacing it. This will have to include the cost of all the seals, the cover, injector tooling, potentially new injectors, new injector seal kits and tools to reseal them, as well as any other misc items that could go array.

In short, my stress level with this Rover is through the roof right now, I’ve driven a grand total of roughly 300 miles since purchase, it’s been a bucket of problems, and I’m at my wits end with it already. It’s literally turning simple tasks into horrendous jobs. Who’s idea was it to make valve covers out of freaking plastic anyways. I hope every-time they order soup it’s cold

Rant over…..

Colorofkris

New Valve cover, seals for injectors, fasteners & gaskets for the valve cover, slide hammer tool, and injector Teflon tool ordered. Should be here next week. Until then…we wait.

Here are some pics of the damage…

e753af996af4da0ceebd104050ea5b82.jpg

7cf20661716521f280ea4386899eea12.jpg

f70ef82901e41adba4ff1637edff0e4a.jpg

Colorofkris

My valve cover replacement job is underway. Went ahead and started tearing it down. I’m officially down to the injectors which we currently soaking in pb blaster for the next 2 days while I wait on the new valve cover to come in.

On a positive note, the coolant was topped off last week and is sitting at the same level, still need to run it to bleed the system but I’m hoping that’s a sign that the elbow fixed the issue.

dabd9d303231da33e2fd383f25355212.jpg

f826f5876c029886836005deffb7120e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears