2012 Tacoma Doublecab work truck

downhill

Adventurer
Relentless builds an aluminum version that I believe is around 60 pounds. Generally his stuff is pretty tough. I really favor the ARB style over the others because it offers complete coverage. A deer's head will become a wrecking ball and swing into things with incredible force. I've had headlight assemblies crushed by a swinging head. The ARB design also sits farther out from the grill which lessens the probability of something getting through far enough to do damage. Of course that is the complaint of the crawling crowd because it sacrifices a little clearance to gain the protection. For my uses it works perfectly. The only hell of it is, I put the bumper on over 3 tears ago and still haven't hit a deer! ******?? If I hadn't, I would have hit one in a month.

Clutch

<---Pass
The only hell of it is, I put the bumper on over 3 tears ago and still haven't hit a deer! ******?? If I hadn't, I would have hit one in a month.

I haven't hit a deer since I lived in PA 25 years ago, and that was with a 10 ton dump...didn't really do anything to the truck. We came damn close to smacking one at 75 mph with the Taco last year...it was kinda surreal. Cruise control on, watched it bound out from the side... out into the highway, stood in the slow lane briefly, as a gently swerved around it, didn't even touch my brakes, looked in my rear view after we passed it...it just stood there, then skipped across the hwy to the otherside...amazed no one hit.

My sister who lives in Ohio wasn't so lucky with her Mini though...this was at the beginning of the month.

224376_310028605763077_667880958_n.jpg

I do use my bumper though...pushed a stalled truck out of an intersection last month, and used it to yank a 500 lbs. printing press off a trailer, great for pushing up fence posts, or setting a cup of coffee on...

Need it more for city driving than back woods, fricken nutso people out there...I think it keeps people from pulling out in front of you, they see the bumper
and think otherwise.:ylsmoke:

Have a Nice Day!
291990_10150305164534630_1100681232_n.jpg

downhill

Adventurer
SDHQ is a dealer. http://sdhqoffroad.com/

I think it is only available for up to 2004 models, bummer...

There is Aluminess...(but I don't know), they don't look as good as the TJM's.

http://www.aluminess.com/trucks.htm

I found out it's available up to 2011. No 2012 yet. Also, there is a group buy right now on TW on this bumper in steel for $500! I think it comes unpainted. That is still a smoking deal! Might be able to upgrade to aluminum on this buy too.

OkieRunner

Downhill do you have a tip for flushing the toyota auto transmission?

Man on my 08 everything I read was that it was a non-maintenance type, not supposed to touch it until 100k. They may be different this year....

I'd go SAW, Fox, or King on the coilovers, and I'd probably think about a heavier than stock spring for them if you're gonna run all that crap hanging off the front end, and a good leaf pack in the rear with either matching shocks or Bilstein 5100s will be fine if you're trying to save money. I could be wrong but I think Icon's stuff has some proprietary parts that are harder to rebuild, but anybody correct me if that's wrong.

It sounds like you are loading this thing down and hammering it. The taco is a light/medium duty truck, I would try to minimize the weight on your mods if it were me, they don't like to be a pack mule as well as a full size truck. I'm not a fan of huge plate steel bumpers and winches unless its absolutely mandatory. If you need the clearance, a prerunner style bumper with a skid may save you some weight and serve the same purpose. I would definately look into aluminum whenever possible over steel.

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
So I finally am getting caught up with some client's paperwork and I'm taking the morning off to do a few things to the Taco...

Spark plugs, back to Mobil 1 5W30, new air filter

Two cases of Redline fluids to swap everything in the drive line transmission, transfer case, diffs

Scrape out the trash and dirt from the last project.

Also just got off the phone with Lisa at Bud Built and have a 4-piece set of steel skid plates on order!

Once i have the skid plates and gas tank in I will check out what else i want/need to strap onto the rig, sliders would be the next thing on my list with a new suspension quickly following it.

Downhill thanks for the fluid flush instructions!
Okirunner - after having some very bad experiences with toyota automatic transmissions and dealing with BMW's lifetime fill BS I am twitchy about maintenance and fluids. I do hammer the truck, no doubt about it. It is usually much lighter than GVW but I'm willing to do the TLC on the truck to make up for the abuse. I was disappointed in the stock suspension and the regular/premium gasoline issues but most everything is coming around.

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
13,000 miles

Changed spark plugs to NGK iridium plugs, changed the oil back to Mobil1, new Toyota air and oil filters yadda, yadda, yadda....Truck is super quiet now. Like spooky quiet.

The front diff fluid was grey/silver and sludgey with a coated magnetic drain plug, the rear diff was better but I found a nice 1cm size chuck of steel flashing stuck to the magnetic drain plug.

The transfer case and transmission fluids were in lots better shape but in with the Redline and out with the Toyota fluids.
I did a partial auto transmission drain and fill aprox 3.5 quarts and that has made a difference in the smoothness of the shifts. I'll just get in the habit of doing this every quarter and the transmission fluid should never "go bad" on me.

Skids will be here Friday!!!

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
More pics

Sorry I have been neglecting the photo uploads, I have been whining about the truck too much.
PB090002.JPG

Current external setup, the cab mounted roof rack looked awesome but drove me bonkers with wind noise so it went back to REI.

PB090003.JPG

The half shelf was built from some scrap flake board, it mounts on the wheel "humps" in the bed and does not shift when wheeling. Mounted to it are the 10lb fire extinguisher, two first aid kits, spare PPE, my milk crate of misc junk, a collapsible 8' ladder is bungied to the front rail.

PB090004.JPG

More of my "load" misc hand tools, 10 year old ARB pump, bolt cutters, pipe wrenches,shovels, sledgehammer, (note the 2/3 milk crate shoved under the driver's side of the shelf to prevent shovel blades from destroying the plastic bed,retired caving rope for misc hauling duties, .22 targets and finally horse treats for any nosy herbivores.

Behind/under the rear seat - 30' tow strap, receiver clevis adapter, clevis, 3" ratchet straps (my contractors are forever loosing theirs), tarps, eyewash station, more PPE, red flags for weird loads, multi- ball hitch etc....

Just in case you had to know what a geologist hauls around all the time...

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
In case your wondering...

So I have been doing some wild *** guessing at weights and just unwrapped my Bud Built 4 piece combo and decided to throw it on the scale.

This is for unpainted 3/16 steel, regular hardware (including the box and some stickers), the exhaust spacer, three plates and the rear cross brace.

Shipping weight according to Bud Built - 147lbs

Bathroom scale total weight- 136.6 lbs

Cross brace, spacer, box of hardware - 19.8lbs

Front skid - 32.8lbs

Midplate - 40lbs

Transfer case skid - 44lbs

There is probably 10 lbs of cardboard, staples and wrapping paper tossed around my living room. So close enough.

I'll toss these on the truck next week and take some pictures once it stops raining. :snorkel:

Wainiha

Explorer
Can you access that extinguisher through the side window? The quicker the better if you want to save your truck. Which is nice by the way.

I love a shell for mine.

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Fire! Fire!

Wainiha - Yes the fire extinguisher is accessed through the side windoor. Mostly the fire extinguisher is for workplace use, welding, cutting steel, working with crude oil ect. ( I have to get it refilled a couple of times a year) When doing hot work I also have a 5 gallon backpack sprayer with Class B foam in it, just so I don't have to go through the hassle of re-filling the extinguisher for a grass fire or drip gas fire.

4x4v8

Observer
e cab mounted roof rack looked awesome but drove me bonkers with wind noise so it went back to REI.

View attachment 130203
my milk crate of misc junk

I have a 4runner and my trunk is just stacked with milk crates of tools. They stack alright and they are deep enough that nothing spills out. As well, I can throw them around and skid them on the ground and not worry about them breaking or getting damaged.

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Skds!

So the skidplates are on.... 3/16 steel 4piece kit.

The Budbuilt kit is pretty simple and his directions on the website cover most of the installation however I have a few recommendations.

1. Paint takes time to dry, wash, dry prep, primer and rattle can the plates a few days ahead of installation. Rustoluem takes 4-6 hrs to "dry" and I still scraped a lot of paint off installing the plates.

2. Get help, 35-45lbs of steel is pretty easy to pick up, not so easy to align by yourself. I could not get the 2x4 and a jack stand method to work so I used some sections of railroad tie and wooden shims to position the skids while tigntening the bolts.

3. Get a tap for the Toyota frame mounts and chase all the threads with grease, even with a new truck I felt like I was going to strip out a bolt trying to get them installed.

4. Anti-sieze is your friend

5. Plan on having a day for "shakedown" you are stiffening the frame and adding a huge sound reflector under your rig. I need to crawl back under the truck and drop the transmission skid to install a sheet of gasket material to isolate the exhaust crossover pipe. It rattles in gear while stopped at a light, annoying but not life threatening. Plus as I was driving around town I felt the skids loosen up a bit. Time to torque them.

No pics due to solo installation but if some one want specific photos drop me a line....

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Supertanker here I come

just got off the phone confirming my appointment with CES in Bend. Should be dropping off the Taco on the 7th.

Need to do a quick truck clean up and shakedown on the Transmission skid to get ready to drive to Bend.
The Bud Built transmission skid touches the exhaust cross piece making a annoying vibration at a stop light when in Drive. Going to use to high temp gasket material and silicone a "noise" patch onto the skid so metal wont touch metal.

I'll take what pictures I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78