2015 Colorado. Any plans for a review?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
GM appears to have already invested more marketing money into this one than the entire run of the 2004-12 Colorado. (Remember the ONE tv ad that had Shania Twain's "Feel Like A Woman" soundtrack?)

These are silly too but represent significantly more effort than the last generation. http://www.youknowyouwantatruck.com/

Browneye

Just brought mine home this week...Colorado extended cab 4X4, I4 6spd auto, bose and nav, locking diff, black on black.

One of my primary considerations was something I could flat-tow behind the motorhome. 2spd transfer case also has neutral and it weighs just 4100lbs.

I traded a 2013 subaru crosstrek with 14K miles in on it. It could not do the offroad I was looking for. Otherwise it was a great little car. The new truck drives SO much nicer!

Happy to answer any questions on the new trucks, looked at GMC Canyon as well.

So new I don't even have pics yet...so stock photo:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just brought mine home this week...Colorado extended cab 4X4, I4 6spd auto, bose and nav, locking diff, black on black.

One of my primary considerations was something I could flat-tow behind the motorhome. 2spd transfer case also has neutral and it weighs just 4100lbs.

I traded a 2013 subaru crosstrek with 14K miles in on it. It could not do the offroad I was looking for. Otherwise it was a great little car. The new truck drives SO much nicer!

So new I don't even have pics yet...so stock photo:

Nice! Yes the only subaru option for flat towing is the MT and they are geared too tall for any steep off road use. The CVT is better for that but you can't flat tow them. XV is short on power too! 120hp is just to light in the britches for grunt.
Our 2010 2.5L CVT OB has proven to be pretty good it replaced our old 2001 Legacy GT 5spd 2.5L non turbo which towed trailers and did lots of big trips over the years however!!! Steep climbs vs heavy trailer and lacking gearing was always a concern. The CVT has been good so far bit funky and odd but after 60,000 miles its been a really good match to the OB. No complaints except the OB is no Legacy GT on the pavement!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
They had one of the first commercials yesterday during the game. It was the one where they pretended to be back in the game and then the screen goes black and they tell you about the Wifi and how you could stream the game from the truck. Good slogan also. "you know you want a truck" Capitalizing on the fact that people are buying trucks because of low gas prices. Great marketing technique for the Colorado. I personally don't like the truck all that much but think it will have some good sales this year.

duckhunter71

Adventurer

Awesome! Can't wait to see some pics and hear what you have to say about it. I find them intriguing and am anxious to read about the diesel models when they're out.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Awesome! Can't wait to see some pics and hear what you have to say about it. I find them intriguing and am anxious to read about the diesel models when they're out.

Same here. Test drove the first 4dr Z1 to show up at a local dealer. I like the size but the Colorado interior was lacking Canyon and the Tacoma are probably closer match regarding the details being watched and done better. The diesel would be interesting just from a stand point of range given todays fuel prices diesel doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The v6 in the z1 was nothing to write home about however I was driving my Sequoia when I stopped to check out the Colorado. My Sequoia was the only Toyota product on the dealer lot. LOL The Sales guy probably thought he was wasting his time.

dmaxmike

i did a 40 mile test drive of a V-6 Z71 crew cab short bed at the local dealer when they got the first one in. my plan is to wait for the diesel and daily drive it. take my 3/4 ton diesel off the road to repair 8 years of PA winters and then just use it to tow with. its paid for and i would not get enough out of it to justify losing it capability. i am just sick of driving it every day when i only use the goose neck hitch maybe once a month.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
i did a 40 mile test drive of a V-6 Z71 crew cab short bed at the local dealer when they got the first one in. my plan is to wait for the diesel and daily drive it. take my 3/4 ton diesel off the road to repair 8 years of PA winters and then just use it to tow with. its paid for and i would not get enough out of it to justify losing it capability. i am just sick of driving it every day when i only use the goose neck hitch maybe once a month.

Our daily driver is a Subaru the new Colorado was pretty nice ride wise and quiet cabin but for hauling people the subaru is still better than the Colorado. The Sequoia is the family and extended family hauler grandpa actually drives it more than I do given he hauls the grand kids around during the week. My general plan is to replace the Sequoia with a nice 4dr pickup probably a slightly used one. My dream plan would be a Flatbed FWC mounted on it and the truck would be our road trip machine. It wouldn't see much use other than that.

Browneye

Well finally got a few pics of the new truck. Had the windows tinted, airdam delete, and built a dog/cargo platform over the rear seats since they are not really designed with a real human being in mind. :sombrero:

Now have just over 200 miles, this is the I4 with 6spd auto. It drives really nice as long as you are not in a hurry. If you are a v8 driver with the pedal mashed all the time this would not work for you. Average mileage around town is about 20, just a short stint on the freeway shows about 25. For normal driving the motor is very quiet and smooth. Seats are comfy, it's very quiet, I'm really liking it. Bose and nav is very nice.

As I mentioned we have a rather different vehicle requirement that most - it needs to haul a dualsport motorcycle and be able to be flat-towed behind the motorhome. We don't have trailer-towing in our requirements so the 4cyl works for us. In my photos you can get a glimpse of the coach in the background. Only the 4x4 version can be flat-towed (TC in neutral), and I was looking for the lightest weight and shortest version so the extended cab and 4cyl clicked the boxes - it's 4100lbs curb.

Just post up if there's anything else I can answer. There is also tons of info on it at the owners forum here: www.coloradofans.com

Kmehr

Adventurer
I don't know what I have to say that hasn't already been said but I like the truck a lot. I have been following the details for a long time and had planned on looking seriously at the diesel when it came out. But then I couldn't pass on a clean 84 Dodge crew cab, and on top of that I inheritied an 89 K1500 so my truck duties are covered.

Anyways, I think there is a good market for this truck. If people buy the tacoma like they do, they'll buy this, especially the diesel. Just look at how many of us get car boners over just the word diesel or the thought of a Hilux diesel in the states! Plenty of people like trucks like this to haul stuff like mulch and home improvement stuff on the weekends that a non-truck wouldn't really work for. I know I'd be hard pressed to fit either of my trucks in a home garage! On top of that, plenty of people buy cars because they are cool, not because it's the most logical choice available. If that were the case, we'd all drive smart cars or take the bus! just look at the rigs we all drive, we do it because we like it, not necessary because it makes the most sense. That being said, I think this just adds another option to the market. It might not be for everyone, but it might be perfect for some.

The Ram eco diesel is selling faster than they can build them. I think it only makes sense that a more tacoma like truck, with a smaller engine and probably weighs 700lbs+ less than a full size ram will sell just well. I'd be really surprised if GM doesn't get 30+ HWY out of the diesel 4x4 given what the ram gets. Just my .02.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Just like boners, it won't last long. The numbers just don't make since on a diesel, especially in our current environment. People get the diesel because they want to, not because it makes sense.
I don't know what I have to say that hasn't already been said but I like the truck a lot. I have been following the details for a long time and had planned on looking seriously at the diesel when it came out. But then I couldn't pass on a clean 84 Dodge crew cab, and on top of that I inheritied an 89 K1500 so my truck duties are covered.

Anyways, I think there is a good market for this truck. If people buy the tacoma like they do, they'll buy this, especially the diesel. Just look at how many of us get car boners over just the word diesel or the thought of a Hilux diesel in the states! Plenty of people like trucks like this to haul stuff like mulch and home improvement stuff on the weekends that a non-truck wouldn't really work for. I know I'd be hard pressed to fit either of my trucks in a home garage! On top of that, plenty of people buy cars because they are cool, not because it's the most logical choice available. If that were the case, we'd all drive smart cars or take the bus! just look at the rigs we all drive, we do it because we like it, not necessary because it makes the most sense. That being said, I think this just adds another option to the market. It might not be for everyone, but it might be perfect for some.

The Ram eco diesel is selling faster than they can build them. I think it only makes sense that a more tacoma like truck, with a smaller engine and probably weighs 700lbs+ less than a full size ram will sell just well. I'd be really surprised if GM doesn't get 30+ HWY out of the diesel 4x4 given what the ram gets. Just my .02.

Kmehr

Adventurer
Just like boners, it won't last long. The numbers just don't make since on a diesel, especially in our current environment. People get the diesel because they want to, not because it makes sense.

Well lets just hope enough people buy it so they make it a while! It'd be a shame for it to go the way of the diesel liberty. The EPA mpg manufacturer requirements/standards are super complicated, so who knows, if they can squeeze 32 mpg out of it, it may make sense for GM to keep making it so they can continue pumping out other less efficient but more profitable vehicles. Or maybe they'll start throwing that 2.8L Duramax in other products like some of the SUVs to spread the cost out. GM said last spring they are bringing more diesel engines to passenger cars, so that seems like a possibility.

Also, I think there are quite a few people out there that don't necessarily base their decision on a long term cost payoff of diesel vs. gas. I think plenty of people when buying a new car have the criteria that they'll only buy something that gets say 30mpgs, which depending on what the Colorado gets could move it into consideration where previously only things like a Subaru were on the list.

If you think this is wishful thinking and stretched rationalization, you're totally right, I'm a diesel nut and am dying for more options. My last truck was a diesel, I'm putting a cummins in my dodge, and my current daily is an Audi A3 tdi that I absolutely love. Sure it may not always make sense, but I just like it. I love low rpm torque and that diesel growl. I seriously doubt I'll ever own another gas burner, other than my chevy. But that's just me, and I'm not all that normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman