2015 F350 4x4 Dually with 295/65-20s? for a street driven Puff Truck!!

EricU

Observer
It's about time to get rid of my '01 7.3L 4x4 F250 SRW that I have had since new, currently running 4” BDS lift on 325/60-20s (I think), I love the way the truck sits and drives.
-
Most of my driving is on the street and most of my trailering is a 7,000 lb plus wakeboard boat. I know this forum is for the real off road guys but you helped me out before on a couple of different projects.
-
I will be getting a new 6.7L 4x4 F350 and have been thinking of going back to a dually. Seen some rolling around on what looked like 6” lifts with 35s or 37s. My tire guy tells me that the kind of tire that I want, smooth and quiet, NOT an aggressive off-road style is not really available in 22s and due to the aftermarket dually rim widths only going up to an 8.25 (MHT Fuel D538) and that I should stick to the Toyo AT2 in 295/65-20s (~35”)
-
But I really want to see a lifted F350 DRW with the 295/65s before I start dropping a bunch of money. The rigs that I have seen have too wide a tire for the rim widths, so I can't get a true pic of what the 295s would look like.
-
Anyone have any experience with the 295s on a lifted F350 dually 4x4?
-
If I can't get the look that I want, I may stick with a CCLB SRW.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I have absolutely no experience with a dually let alone on 20's or 22's. I can say that on wheels like that the ride must be pretty harsh. I don't think I would call 22's "expo," but maybe in Cali? I have heard the "cen cal" look is popular there, so I don't know.
DSC06989.jpg

EricU

Observer
I have absolutely no experience with a dually let alone on 20's or 22's. I can say that on wheels like that the ride must be pretty harsh. I don't think I would call 22's "expo," but maybe in Cali? I have heard the "cen cal" look is popular there, so I don't know.

So I am not sure why you feel compelled to post that you don't know things?? Great! Good for you!
-
If you were able to read my entire post you would see that I stated my trucks are not off-road expedition type rigs and that some of the other folks on this forum had helped me out with a couple of other trucks that I have had.
I don't understand why you would start off by saying "I have absolutely no experience with a dually let alone on 20's or 22's" and then post a pic of some kid's truck with low pro tires, when I was asking about some new tires that are out that are 65s.
My current truck that I purchased new in '01 an F250 7.3L has pulled many a backhoe, excavator and family boats, is there something wrong with that? Currently it is running 325/60-20s and drives great on a small (4") BDS lift.
I asked a serious question and you felt compelled to reply with BS about "Cali" (which we don't call our state)
01 F250 (8).jpg

Darwin

Explorer
My apologies. I haven't seen many duallys on here with that kind of tire set up. You might have better luck with one of the various powerstroke forums. It sounds like a nice a truck for your application.

Darwin

Explorer
Have you thought about 22.5's? it would allow you to run 37 inch tires, similar to what they put on Earthroamers, or 19.5's with 35 inch tires.

EricU

Observer
Haven't been able to find tires for 22.5s that are "street" style ( if that makes sense)

I really have been spoiled by the smooth and quiet ride of my current Hankooks (which is a tire I never would have tried without my tire guy's insistence)

I run the 22.5s on some of my equipment trailers and I don't want those 14 ply tires on my daily "puff" rig!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
A few years back, well, probably around '07, I ran the Rickson 19.5's and 35's on my F-350 DRW and it was great. Sadly, I don't have or can't find pics, but will keep looking. Main thing is they stayed inside the wheel well, rode great, and was a perfect fit. And I just ran a 2" leveling spacer up front.
Hope that helps.

AZ_Ray

Observer
There are plenty of "street" 22.5's out there. Go to a place that services tractor trailers, like GCR or another place, I just can't think of another names.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nothing wrong with going a little bigger with the tires on a DRW and adding a leveling kit. Assuming you have airbags to keep the rear level when towing, once you raise the front. But you really should stay close to stock, the lifted up custom DRW's are fairly counter productive IME. Life is so much easier with a proper DRW, big lifts and monster tires just mess it up.

IIRC, 285-295's look fine on a stock truck. 305, 315, 34"+diameter, 12"+ wide tires, not so much.

It sounds like a SRW truck is going to work better for you unless your planning on having a slide-in camper along with that boat.

http://www.lewisvillemitsu.com/web/used/Ford-Super-Duty-F-350-DRW-2013-Lewisville-Texas/1491250/
Notice in the link above, how the rear wheels stick out with the crap wheel spacer. How poorly the tires fit on thin wheels. And I'll bet that the aftermarket wheels ain't even close to the strength of the factory wheels.

I would stick with factory wheels. I would absolutely not use larger diameter wheels. The larger AT tires would have their sidewalls bowed out too much. Taller sideways and smaller wheels, can account for some of the unusual tires we try. A hair bigger Cooper STT's or Kelly Safari TSR's on a stock DRW would look fine to me. Add a leveling kit if needed, some Fords don't need it depending on front spring choice.

An F450 is a nice option. Those look tough and are a dually, but we're talking way overkill now. But after slinging $$$ on wheels and tires at a F350, the 450 doesn't look so bad?

Last edited:

EricU

Observer
Nothing wrong with going a little bigger with the tires on a DRW and adding a leveling kit. Assuming you have airbags to keep the rear level when towing, once you raise the front. But you really should stay close to stock, the lifted up custom DRW's are fairly counter productive IME. Life is so much easier with a proper DRW, big lifts and monster tires just mess it up.

IIRC, 285-295's look fine on a stock truck. 305, 315, 34"+diameter, 12"+ wide tires, not so much.

It sounds like a SRW truck is going to work better for you unless your planning on having a slide-in camper along with that boat.

http://www.lewisvillemitsu.com/web/used/Ford-Super-Duty-F-350-DRW-2013-Lewisville-Texas/1491250/
Notice in the link above, how the rear wheels stick out with the crap wheel spacer. How poorly the tires fit on thin wheels. And I'll bet that the aftermarket wheels ain't even close to the strength of the factory wheels.

I would stick with factory wheels. I would absolutely not use larger diameter wheels. The larger AT tires would have their sidewalls bowed out too much. Taller sideways and smaller wheels, can account for some of the unusual tires we try. A hair bigger Cooper STT's or Kelly Safari TSR's on a stock DRW would look fine to me. Add a leveling kit if needed, some Fords don't need it depending on front spring choice.

I have previously had lifted duallies, have towed trailers with them and will not be using spacers as the Fuels are 8.25" wide and have the offsets for a lifted truck.
The reason that I am going with the 295s vs the 325s that I would run, is due to the dually's rim width not being able to handle a wider tire than the 295s. The photo that you referenced is what I don't want for my tires.
Great thing about this country, if you don't like lifted a lifted dually, don't buy one! Mine will be mostly driven as a "Puff" truck with the hauling being mostly my boat, with the occasional 16k lb backhoe every now or then if my guys get too busy!! I want it lifted, with larger tires and that is what I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears