2015 GMC Canyon

deadly99

Explorer
I don't mean I wont have a muffler, I meant cut the pipe after the muffler, after the rear axle and bend the pipe down towards the ground. I currently have a Borla muffler and the sound is darned good for a v6.

Condensation....still researching.

I'm not a fan of tubed bumpers but indeed thats sort of what I had in mind...maybe a bit more aggressive by chopping an inch or two off the rear fenders and having the bumper wrap around the sides to protect the fenders The design is limited by the space the tailgate requires to drop down and the height of a license plate. I've been thinking on angling the rear of it (aka license plate wouldnt sit vertical but rather be on an angle) to gain a few degrees of departure angle.

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
That was what I was thinking. After the muffler, behind the rear axle. Condensation....not something I had even considered...THANKS

Perhaps time will tell, but I've never heard of anyone with an 04-12 Colorado complain about excessive rusting under the bed, as a result of the exhaust.

It's only been about 12 years though. Overall, I don't see too many Colorados rusted too bad. Most that are looking bad, are abused work trucks.

deadly99

Explorer
Out exploring some backcountry trails this weekend.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

Got a few looks in the Walmart parking lot picking up some crap for the wife at the end of the day

h.jpg

Sunpilot

Observer
I love your truck. I've been thinking about getting a new one with the diesel. I took a test drive and was impressed. I do have a question for the OP. Did you give any thought to voiding the truck's warranty? The reason I ask is because as I was talking to the salesman the other day I mentioned what I would be using it for and potential mods I intended to make (suspension mostly). The salesman told me I would void the truck's warranty. He took me in to talk to the service manager. The service manager told me a couple horror stories about people having trouble after doing suspension work and Chevy not honoring the warranty. One problem was engine related, and Chevy blamed it on the lifted suspension and mods. The owner ended up footing the bill himself. That made me pause and rethink buying a new truck. I know I wouldn't be able to wait until the warranty ran out to do some mods! Just want your thoughts on this, and if anyone else is considering doing any serious mods, best talk to the service manager first. One last note, the dealer did offer a lift package done through a local 4 wheel parts shop and the dealer would honor any warranty issues afterwards. The catch? The small mod package they offered cost an additional $5K. $5K for not much!

deadly99

Explorer
I'm not an authority on warranties so take this with a grain of salt. My buddy is the GM of a GMC dealership and when I asked he said they'd have to prove the modification was the cause of the issue. So yes, depending on what the issue is...a modification can void a warranty claim. He cringes everytime I show up with my truck at his dealership, lol. Keep in mind the dealerships "want" to make the claims as they get paid to do the work and get paid...so my understanding is they often over look the modifications (unless your dealership are idiots and expect you to pay for the parts so they can make extra money...). I've had buddies get denied, so they brought their truck to a different dealership, explained the situation and voila it was covered under warranty.

In summary, I dont worry about it. Suspension, bumpers, etc wont void an engine or tranny warranty and my bumper to bumper warranty will end this summer sometime.

YMMV

ukrboy

Observer
I was denied warranty when my transmission blew up in my 2011 Mitsubishi Ralliart. The dealer wanted $20K to replace it. Mine was heavily modded though. Yes, they have to prove the damage was caused by it, but they can do whatever they want. And now I'm very careful about any modifications on my cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thethePete

Explorer
Find a different dealer. Many dealerships are sending trucks out the door with leveling kits, and non-stock rims as pre-packaged deals. If you come in with something that looks ready to run the Baja 1000, they may give you a hard time, but most dealers are willing to work with you. Service is the one who submits the warranty claim and if I say it came in with stock "x" part, and they're not standing there while I'm making the repair -who's to say I'm wrong?

ukrboy's last part was right. "they can do whatever they want"; so if you're smart, and use quality parts, odds are your warranty will be fine.

Something to consider, many fleet trucks (pipeline, power generation, military, oil sands, etc) have aftermarket bumpers or bigger tires to access their jobsites and their warranty is held. I just rebuilt the front diff on an F550, with a big fuel tank on the back, that looked like he'd driven it through the darkest corners of Africa; covered under powertrain warranty. Close to $8K in parts.

Truck looks great and it's awesome to see you using it. A side dump is a good option to keep the exhaust out from under your truck. Interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure I'll be going to a dump under my box from my current side dump on my Ranger. Remember, even if your muffler is too far back at the end, it may be possible for a shop to move it ahead some, and or just route the piping back forward to come out in front of the tire. Something to consider though, if you dump it in front of the rear tire it's now prone to impact from obstacles.

deadly99

Explorer
I haven't done much to the truck lately, just driving and enjoying it. Been getting out into the backcountry a fair amount and exploring. Ordered new springs for the front coilovers, a longer/firmer spring set. The weight of the bumper and winch was notable. Could have lived with it I guess but it feels a bit front heavy and I'd like to get that light front end feel back.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

deadly99

Explorer
Was out exploring and came across this water crossing, it had me nervous. Water came up just past the bottom of the doors. 4 low, nice and slow

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

deadly99

Explorer
Better than I expected. One corner lets in a few small drops now and again but all in all I've been quite impressed. I use pressure washers on it regularly without concern (this is when a bit seeps in on the front lower corners). Its seen a winter of snow with no big issues. My only complaint would be getting it open when its minus twenty as the zippers can get frozen.

I keep debating a fiberglass cap...but the price and weight of them have stopped me from purchasing one.

So all in all, not perfect but for what it is its impressive.

deadly99

Explorer
Got back last night from a 3 day offroad navigation rally. The truck performed almost flawlessly. The paint is....well it is now beyond pinstriping and has more of a "scratched to heck" look to it now. The suspension in the rough stuff was great, I think a lot of other folks were quite jealous as I could drive way faster then they could dream of in their rigs.

Took a significant hit to a rock in one of the water crossing, hard enough to launch the front end into the air (no small feat as this was in 3 feet of water). The aluminum skid plate paid off big time of I'd be replacing the stock one this week.

bump.jpg

bumpp.jpg

All in all I think we covered close to a 1000 km with about 700 of it being trails. Took about 22 hours of drive time. Here is a bunch of photos I snapped during the weekend. There was 23 trucks and 119 motorbikes in the rally. Hopefully I'll find some of my truck in the coming days...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG