2015 Ram 2500 Carli/Thuren Build W/Four Wheel Camper

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Yea, definitely found that out the hard way

Has anyone found a decent diff cover that fits with the 11.8 gears, clears the sway bar, and will not make contact with the rear trackbar at full bump? Preferably with a drain plug...

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
Why not just run the factory cover with the Carli bash guard?

There is no evidence to suggest that a larger cover helps improve anything.

Gale banks recently did a video on it and is currently researching data to see if larger covers actually help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Why not just run the factory cover with the Carli bash guard?

There is no evidence to suggest that a larger cover helps improve anything.

Gale banks recently did a video on it and is currently researching data to see if larger covers actually help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I already have the Carli front diff guard. I am looking for a diff cover for the rear that isn't thin metal. Not looking for a larger capacity one at all, just armor.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Yea, definitely found that out the hard way

Has anyone found a decent diff cover that fits with the 11.8 gears, clears the sway bar, and will not make contact with the rear trackbar at full bump? Preferably with a drain plug...

The rear should be a 11.5 not a 11.8, Just have to make sure if you have the rear sway bar there is clearance for the sway bar on the cover.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The rear should be a 11.5 not a 11.8, Just have to make sure if you have the rear sway bar there is clearance for the sway bar on the cover.

If you move to 4.30 gears your 11.5 BECOMES an 11.8 as that is the only ring gear diameter that ratio comes in. Just FYI.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
If you move to 4.30 gears your 11.5 BECOMES an 11.8 as that is the only ring gear diameter that ratio comes in. Just FYI.

Well kind of. You have to install a conversion bearing (included in the kit) to make the 11.8 gear fit. I think there are other differences between the two axles but not sure what they are.

Also, I have had time to put some miles on them now and I am beyond happy. "The Rear End Shop" in Livermore did an amazing job getting these set. They are dead quiet.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Nice. I currently have 4.10 with 37x13.5x17 Cooper STT Pros and a 48RE 4 speed, I am up in the air on if the price of 4.30s is worth it or not. Nitro is the only ones I know that make 4.30s for both the AAM 9.5 and 11.5, well at least that I have found so far.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Well, looking at your build thread it looks like you like to have some fun with your truck. With glass you should be able to fit a 38" tire pretty nicely. In your situation, I would run AAM 4.56.

Explorerinil

Observer
That I did not know, I only found like 2 manufactures that even make 4.30 gears for the AAM 11.5 lol.
Nitro ring gear for the 4:30 gears is 11.8 not 11.5, it fits in both axles. If you run any other gear sets they are 11.5,if you have an 11.8 ring gear and run 11.5 gears you convert it down to 11.5. The 11.8 rear axle runs 300 mm shafts also.

I was told by the dealer and by nitro that all Aisin trucks have the 11.8 rear axle, when I tore the rear end apart it did not have 300 mm shafts so I have the 11.5. I used their kit for the 11.8 rear end and have to swap out 2 seals.

The conversion bearing is for 11.8 axles running 11.5 gear sets only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle