2015 Ram 2500 Carli/Thuren Build W/Four Wheel Camper

Kingsize24

Shave the ring gear? This doesn’t sound good, can you explain the process?

It is done all the time to gain ground clearance by allowing the bottom of the differential case to be flattened. There is no harm at all by doing it, and you only need to take a small amount off since you are only needing cover clearance. Go to YouTube and search "shaving a ring gear" or "machining ring gear". You can do it in the differential case, or outside of it. Just have someone spin the tires while you remove what you need if you do it in the diff. Then clean with varsol or mineral spirits to remove shavings and bolt on your cover.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
I totally forgot about shaving the ring gear. I did it in a 14 bolt on an old crawler and it was no big deal.

Then again, I have done a lot of things to crawlers over the years I would never do to this truck haha

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Well, looking at your build thread it looks like you like to have some fun with your truck. With glass you should be able to fit a 38" tire pretty nicely. In your situation, I would run AAM 4.56.

Thanks for checking out my build tread. With my 4 speed transmission and 37s with 4.10 at 80mph I am turning 2055 rpms, with stock gears of 3.73 and stock tires 80mph is 2189 rpms. If my gear calculator is right with 4.30s and 37s at 80mph I should be around 2155 rpms.

A buddy fit 40s with his 3 inch Carli and fiber glass fenders and bedsides. I want to stay with a 17 inch wheel so 37s is max for E rated tires that are not wider then 13.5. There are some out there that are 38s and e rates for a 17 wheel but they are 15.5 inches wide, way to wide for me.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Nitro ring gear for the 4:30 gears is 11.8 not 11.5, it fits in both axles. If you run any other gear sets they are 11.5,if you have an 11.8 ring gear and run 11.5 gears you convert it down to 11.5. The 11.8 rear axle runs 300 mm shafts also.

I was told by the dealer and by nitro that all Aisin trucks have the 11.8 rear axle, when I tore the rear end apart it did not have 300 mm shafts so I have the 11.5. I used their kit for the 11.8 rear end and have to swap out 2 seals.

The conversion bearing is for 11.8 axles running 11.5 gear sets only.

When I looked up Nitro it just said 11.5, however it is good to know about the ring gear size change. I have a Mag-Hytec rear cover for my 2006 AAM 11.5 so if I got to 4.30s hope the gears will fit lol.

Explorerinil

Observer
When I looked up Nitro it just said 11.5, however it is good to know about the ring gear size change. I have a Mag-Hytec rear cover for my 2006 AAM 11.5 so if I got to 4.30s hope the gears will fit lol.
All nitro gear sets in 4:30 for the ram AAM rear axle are 11.8ring gear, you can give nitro tech a call they will confirm. Your mag hytec rear cover will not clear, I guarantee it... sorry. Mine didn’t clear I’m back to the stock cover.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Went to the desert last weekend with a group of friends. One of my buddies family owns a house on a private competition ski lake so we stayed there instead of camping. The mornings were filled with offroading and once It started to get hot we would head back and jump on the boat.

We found some trails right outside of the property the first day and got to stretch the legs of the truck a little bit... Maybe a little too much...I got going a little too fast and came up to a big ditch and the front end slammed into the other side. I ended up destroying the front plastic lip on the bumper, bent the intercooler mounts, ripped off the plastic/rubber piece in the bumper that forces airflow into the intercooler, and stuffing my drivers side tire into the firewall. 37's fit great for onroad but at full bump they cause issues. I rigged the plastic lip back on and ended up tying it up to my bumper bracket with a piece of wire from a strip of romex I found.

The second day we ran Phillips Loop near Calico which was a great time.

We decided to take the dirt back to the lake ~15 miles. Drove under some cool bridges and found a dry creek bed that had some sand dunes similar to Pismo. Overall a great trip!

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
You took a hard hit. I can’t remember do you have a set of kings or are you running fox 2.0? You definitely got the right truck and suspension you just need a front bumper now.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
You took a hard hit. I can’t remember do you have a set of kings or are you running fox 2.0? You definitely got the right truck and suspension you just need a front bumper now.

Currently have Carli’s King 2.5’s front and rear. Looking at Thuren 3.0’s for the front, adding some more valving in the rear, and a Thuren front bumper.

I’ve also heard rumors that there will be an air bump kit coming out soon for the radius arm trucks.

Looking at buying another house soon so I’m not sure exactly how quickly the upgrades will come.

Explorerinil

Observer
Currently have Carli’s King 2.5’s front and rear. Looking at Thuren 3.0’s for the front, adding some more valving in the rear, and a Thuren front bumper.

I’ve also heard rumors that there will be an air bump kit coming out soon for the radius arm trucks.

Looking at buying another house soon so I’m not sure exactly how quickly the upgrades will come.
Let me know if you upgrade, I’ll be interested in your kings if your selling them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle