2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

Err

Observer
Looks great, but I think you might have a moisture problem. It looks like you have some moss growing on the floor!

If I don't get a roof vent in soon, I'm afraid I will have moss growing soon!

Which reminds me... I did just add another CRL window, this time in the sliding door, to allow for more ventilation. I have a Fantastic 7350 roof vent fan and a bunch of insulation on hand just need to make some time to tear out the headliner and cut a big hole in the roof!

Err

Observer
Err, I'm just catching up. Love your build.

I just wanted to throw in that I got mine done for under $6K. It's not a 4WD. I have the 2012, 2500, 170 which is 2WD. Spent about $40K on the van.

Evil Patrick, looks like a great build for the budget. Love all the eye bolts for clipping and the fabric you used on the walls. There are so many ways to build these vans and that's half the fun, build what suits you within the budget you have to work with. A key thing I was hung up on is that my bed needed to be fixed in position and made up at all times while allowing for all our other gear. That turned into an expensive requirement, ha!

Err

Observer
So my stove always did rattle but now with it right behind my seat, unbearable! Busted out the Second Skin and some silicone hot mats to quiet it down -
smugshot_1960050-XL.jpg

I figure the silicone hot mits are super useful and it's pretty surprising how much they help combined with the Second Skin
smugshot_470994-XL.jpg

daytripper6

Thanks for the very informative post. I just got a Sprinter Sportsmobile buildout a couple months ago (after a 13 month wait!). I haven't decided yet on going with AT tires on the factory rims or going up to 17x7.5" rims. Your setup seems ideal but I'm a little concerned about the width. Having had your 265/75-16 Duratracs on for over a year now, are you still sold on 265 on that 6.5 rim? In particular, have you ever run them at low pressure and did you have any problems?

Keyne

Adventurer
Thanks for the very informative post. I just got a Sprinter Sportsmobile buildout a couple months ago (after a 13 month wait!). I haven't decided yet on going with AT tires on the factory rims or going up to 17x7.5" rims. Your setup seems ideal but I'm a little concerned about the width. Having had your 265/75-16 Duratracs on for over a year now, are you still sold on 265 on that 6.5 rim? In particular, have you ever run them at low pressure and did you have any problems?

Would love to see some pics and build details of your sportsmobile!

daytripper6

Would love to see some pics and build details of your sportsmobile!

My van is a penthouse pop-top RB150S floor plan. We went single fuel (diesel) so we've got a secondary alternator, solar panels & second house battery to power the induction stove, fridge and microwave. The batteries are where the spare was so we went with the Aluminess swing arm spare and added a tall box on the other side. I am in the process of swapping out tires (and/or wheels) and finding mount points for recovery gear. I've got brackets fabbed and will post some pictures when I get them mounted.

Err

Observer
Your setup seems ideal but I'm a little concerned about the width. Having had your 265/75-16 Duratracs on for over a year now, are you still sold on 265 on that 6.5 rim? In particular, have you ever run them at low pressure and did you have any problems?

I'm just shy of 16,000 miles now and no concerns with the Duratracs in 265. They are wearing evenly and handle predictably. I have a fair amount of dirt road and light offroad combined with a lot of highway miles in between. They do hum a little, but not much (to my ears). They're great in the snow as well. A lot of guys are going narrower and that's a good option too but even aired down quite low for 30 miles of particularly rough dirt road I had no issues.

Err

Observer
Been back at it, hard at work on ventilation and insulation. One thing about coming from a RTT, sleeping in a van, the van sucks from an air flow perspective. Up till now I've had a single RV style window on the drivers side and skeeter-beeters for the front door windows. That helped a lot but it still got stuffy overnight. I just added a second RV window in the sliding door and a Fantastic 7350 vent fan in the roof. The Fantastic can be left on in either to a fixed speed or set to activate on a thermostat and will close automatically if it rains.

Started by yanking out the headliner (and breaking a few clips). Before putting back together I added a bunch of Second Skin Damplifier Pro and 3M Thinsulate from Hein @ Impact 3D.
sprintervents-009-2-S.jpg

Measure, measure again, measure again. Drink beer, measure again -
sprintervents-010-S.jpg

Really, it wasn't so bad and the fan doesn't require a perfect cut -
sprintervents-011-S.jpg

Testing the fit. Note the black adapter under the fan courtesy of Hein @ Impact 3D, it's 3D printed to exactly adapter the contours of the van roof to the fan, so rad -
sprintervents-012-S.jpg

And done!
sprintervents-013-S.jpg

I skipped detail on wiring it up but that was so trivial its hardly worth pics. Just ran wires across the roof rib, down the b-pillar and into the driver seat base where the Aux battery tie-ins are easy to access.

And finally, CRL RV Window in -
sprintervents-009-S.jpg

Looking forward to hopefully improved sleep and with the fan near the front, it will help out when we do decide to cook inside.

Hoping to get an onboard air setup done next, always a project...

erleichda

Great thread. Just moved from our 08 144 low roof to a new 144 high roof. Family of 5 with 3 boys entering their teens, we spent many years talking about how to do the "next van". We stuck with the 144" as we have been in some pretty tight double-track turnarounds. We got our prior 2WD stuck in dense mud 30 miles from pavement, thick deep dirt and def snow over 4" in any incline even with what I found to be the best snowtire (Mastercraft Courser MSR studs) and even got pulled out once when chains failed.

Regardless, my first thoughts is that the 2wd ride was much smoother and MPG was 18/23 with +1 size tires. But the tradeoff is worth it as we leave the pavement often to get to climbing sites, camping sites, backcountry ski, MTB and hiking areas. Here are our thoughts others may be interested in:

Buy the passenger version. Sell some of the seats and windows. Best bang for buck as many amenities are already included (lots of 12v, comfort, basic insulation and liners, etc.)
Doing flares so we can sleep sideways in the bed means no need for the 170 for us.
Need maximum flexibility. No fixed anything. We haul lumber, gravel, furniture, small boats, etc. It has to all come out. We also want max configurable seating with the family.
Clothing goes in cabinets above to get rid of bags everywhere.
Carry a tent so kids or adults sleep separate. ;) Roof tent is great, but $$.
Galley used to be many bins and plastic drawers to keep it cheap. This time, building/buying rear sliders but attaching to drawers so that whole system fixed to tie downs but can remove. Also, a nice campbox functions as the main part of our galley which will be on its own slider. So slider left is cooler and pull out for stove. Slider right is campbox. Drawers in the middle.
Bikes in the van looks cool. But they are dirty. We ditched having bikes inside, did Thule swing away that works well by folding rear door then moving bikes to side of van. Also considering making a swing version of a lolo rack
Rooftop acccess has been with a telescope ladder. Cheap and keeps folks from being able to get up there easily. We did a roofbox for water gear, fishing gear, muddy gear too.
Loved our solar, had it on separate system/house battery running roof vent, all 12V outlets and could switch audio to it. This time going for Luna fridge too.
For music festivals we took out all seating and put galley where Err has. So hence modular will work great for us...move same system from back to behind driver.
Love the Dometic power awning, autocloses if it detects wind.
Working on a custom rear awning with roll up/down sides for protection when cooking out back.
Thinking of a slider system for the bed rails...slide that baby 1/3 right out the back on nice nights when backed to the beach. Will post if it gets done.
We went against installing sinks, water tanks, toilets etc. Modular modular. We do have a nice camp toilet but rarely have used it. Have a 12v sprayer we throw in the back. Makes a nice faucet in the kitchen too.
Mac track everywhere, ski racks on rear sidewalls.
Did stock fuel fired aux heater...has remote for when you leave the slopes...
Did curtains but think will get window covers all around from RB components this time.
Change the ceiling lights (passenger van) to LEDs.
Using sony MPCL1 mobile projector on a homemade screen in space over driver...can also project outside for movie nights (though usually discourage electronics when outside with kids...nice to have a treat)

Also, working with some friends on new ideas. What do you all think about:
1. Rear awning noted above, attaches to roof rail.
2. Bumper integrated hammock stand front/rear
3. Soft cabinets/shelving that can be removed
4. HAM radio system with van as repeater for handhelds used when out, anyone try something like this?
5. Wheel chairs...chairs that attach to the wheels.
6. rooftop passive solar heated water roof rack

TwoWheelers1987

Erleichda, Your conversion ideas fit this thread to a tee; especially for family fun and flexibility. I'm serious about ordering a '16 or even '17 Crew cab 4x4 144 with high roof to go out west with our 3 sons in their twenties, 2 KTM motos, 3 mountain bikes. Some camping.
Question: When storing motos inside (in urban higher theft areas) like NYC, will a 92" moto fit behind the crew cab? Mercedes-Benz says 100" of floor lie behind the bench seats. I'm trying to find out without the option of physically putting my bike in a dealer's lot 177 crew cab.
Good luck with your adventures!

Marcus

Gravity

Observer
Err, how does the NorthShore 6 pack rack work with the Sprinter rear doors? Currently using one of their 6pack racks on my 4x4 E350 and I love it. I'm daydreaming with a future rig and curious how it would work with opening the Sprinter rear doors. When you lower the rack loaded with bikes can you swing the doors all the way open?? Thanks!

I use a North Shore 6 bike for shuttling but I'm planning to build a rack system for 4 bikes inside. We often travel with 2 KTM's and those will occupy the hitch in that case.

SoCalChaos

Observer
Err, how does the NorthShore 6 pack rack work with the Sprinter rear doors? Currently using one of their 6pack racks on my 4x4 E350 and I love it. I'm daydreaming with a future rig and curious how it would work with opening the Sprinter rear doors. When you lower the rack loaded with bikes can you swing the doors all the way open?? Thanks!

I found it to be a PIA on my E350 until i hooked it up to a swing out hitch adapter... lowering/raising it with more than 3 bikes on there was a chore. I've now got it hooked into a RakAttach swing out and getting access to the back is so much easier.
http://rakattach.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior