2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

GR8ADV

Explorer
That's just plain strange. MB didn't request contact for modifications made to my G-Wagen. :p

On a brand new van being sold w/ an SMB poptop thru an MB dealership, I could understand yes. Otherwise it's major big-brother, and nothing like I've seen in this industry in over 15yrs.
Where would it stop with MB?; say you want to put a different stereo deck in your Sprinter--so you have to consult MB first, since they would be warrantying the stereo wiring? Lots of hack job wiring installs out there as we've seen which could be a fire hazard.

I might have to re-read the full Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act...

And this use to be a great thread...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well, have you all not heard of the car manufacturers trying to make it illegal/copyright infringement for anyone to alter ECU programming...i.e. "tuning". I read it as also limiting what any non-branded dealer mechanic would be allowed to mess with as well as issues with warranty like you mention.

Now that I see as a very steep and slippery slope!

Wasn't even going to mention that bit of B.S. JW.
I don't want to take this Sprinter build too off topic here.
We need more Sprinter 4x4 build pics please! :smiley_drive:

Err

Observer
Is that Plasti-Dip on the rims??? Looks great. Was going to powder coat mine but might have to re-consider. Looking forward to the build.

Yeah, I went with Plasti Dip. Seems to be working OK but I may paint them in time for easier touch-up after rotations and/or tire mounting,

Err

Observer
Wasn't even going to mention that bit of B.S. JW.
I don't want to take this Sprinter build too off topic here.
We need more Sprinter 4x4 build pics please! :smiley_drive:
I've been off playing too much to update this thread lately. Decided to slow down on the build and make the most of summer. Gonna get back to wrenching in the fall. Still having fun with it and racking up miles.

Keyne

Adventurer
I've been off playing too much to update this thread lately. Decided to slow down on the build and make the most of summer. Gonna get back to wrenching in the fall. Still having fun with it and racking up miles.

How is Summer coming along? Any great adventures off pavement? Interested to hear how it performs.

Evil Patrick

[snip]

So, when you look at a Sprinter, remember that to get it just to a half-*** DIY camper you're talking another $15-30K depending on what you do and that's turning your own wrenches.

[/snip]

Err, I'm just catching up. Love your build.

I just wanted to throw in that I got mine done for under $6K. It's not a 4WD. I have the 2012, 2500, 170 which is 2WD. Spent about $40K on the van.

It’s built out with two 6’ long wheel boxes (over the wheel humps and about 2.5 feet tall) that provide storage and bed support. The bed is on plywood slats that sit on top of 8 foot long by 2” by 2” angle AL that is mounted on top of wheel boxes and to the walls. There is a queen futon mattress on top that is unbelievably comfortable.

The wheel boxes take the load, while the walls add lateral stability. The wheel boxes are about 6 foot long, so about 2 feet of the AL rail on the bed’s head end does not have as much load support – but ONLY when the bed is positioned to the rear of the vehicle. See, my bed is set up to slide forward and aft and lock into either of those locations. Why? Well, when the bed is forward, the back two feet of the van serves both as a garage and as a shower room. And when the bed is back, the “Great Room” is quite a bit larger.

The shower is a constructed from a 10 ft long, 1” copper pipe shower hoop that holds a regular shower curtain (actually, two) and the hoop attaches to the ceiling via carabineers that clip to eye bolts that are strategically attached to a couple of the ceiling ribs with ¼ 20 Plusnuts.

When we’re not using the shower or the garage, the shower collapses against the D-side back door (by unclipping the forward carabineers) and hangs out of the way. When we need the shower, the bed is slid forward and the shower is clipped up.

Now, if we want to use the garage for the bikes, I have 2 boards that span side-to-side across the rear, from angle bracket to angle bracket. Yes, those same angle 8 foot long by 2 by 2 angle AL brackets that the bed slides on and yes, the same two feet that hang off the rear edges of the wheel boxes. The two boards that I speak of slide into a pocket under the bed platform when they’re not in use. They’re ¾ inch plywood, about 6” across and the width of the van. They have some fork locks bolted on, and the rear wheels are bungeed down.

So, shower down, bed forward, and bikes inside. Now, the bikes normally “live” on the Thule rack on the back, but if it’s raining all day, or if we’re parking somewhere where we don’t want the bikes seen, we just convert the van to have its garage and put them inside. (Sorry that I don't have pics of the bikes inside)

The mattress, as stated before, is a futon mattress. So I built a big piano hinge section across the bed and the bed lifts up, folding in the middle, to turn into a couch. It’s held up with motorcycle tie-downs that hook into more of those strategically located eye-bolts in the ceiling.

So, there’s the shower, not taking up any real room when not needed, a bed, a couch, a garage, and way more Great Room space most of the time.

I have a modest house electrical system with a 100AH AGM, a 600W Pure Sine Inverter, a 4-stage charging system that takes care of both batteries when sitting (shore power) and when driving, recharges/floats the Coach battery. There’s a shelving system that’s also convertible, and other accoutrements (such as a luggable loo!). The van was completely Damplified and well insulated with closed-cell foam. Nice fabric was used in conjunction with Reflectix and coreplas for the walls. The ceiling is coreplas with stained birch accents/supports. Almost every bolt that holds wall panels or ceiling panels is an eye bolt for clipping stuff up. We have a 19” LCD TV that normally lives in the kitchen at home, but gets put into the van on an articulating arm when we’re on the road. There’s LED lighting throughout.

And my build was under $6K. And it’s a really functional and stealth camper.

A look at part of the wheel boxes:

morebenchspace_zpse15c6ee2.jpg

Shower carabineer set up:

2showercarabiners_zps2018229f.jpg

Shower down, bed in back:

showerdownbedback2_zps02d5bde6.jpg

Shower down, couch up in back:

showerdowncouchupinback_zpsb4ca30c1.jpg

Shower up, couch forward:

showerupcouchupforward_zps9bcc5304.jpg

Under the back of the couch:

galvanizedpipe_zps533a797d.jpg

For even more info, here’s a link to my cheap, but really functional build:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27992

Last edited:

Err

Observer
Whew, been ages since any updates.... We traveled a ton last summer, so much that I completely stopped building for quite a while and just used it. With several moto, mtb, and surf trips in the books, I finally got back to work over the past few weeks. After a full season with no real kitchen at all, just coolers and bags stacked along the drives side wall, we decided to add a basic kitchen. For now, no water, just a stove, fridge and shelving. I am waiting on another set of drawer slides to build a drawer with the blue bag is sitting above the fridge. In keeping with simplicity, the entire kitchen is held in to the factory d-rings with heavy duty ratchet straps and removes in minutes. For now we're still using small propane bottles but that may change -
sprinterupdate16-010-XL.jpg

Cutting board below the stove slides out, along with the entire counter-top being a cutting board surface. Right now it's just plywood but I've been talking with a woodworker friend about and end-grain butcher block top once we've settled on the design -
sprinterupdate16-011-XL.jpg

I put the fridge on 300lb slides rated for mobile applications that lock in / lock out -
sprinterupdate16-012-XL.jpg

I also just reconfigured out bike rack system to use 1Up trays and we now leave the front wheels on. Much better solution (although I'm probably going to end up raising the bed an inch or two to create more clearance now -
sprinterupdate16-009-XL.jpg

While we were at it we insulated the lower half of the walls and the rear doors completely with Second Skin and 3M thinsulate automotive insulation. I still need to cover and insulate the upper walls and headliner. We'll have the headliner out shortly to do the vent van install and will knock all of that out at once.

borison

Adventurer
Looks great, but I think you might have a moisture problem. It looks like you have some moss growing on the floor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan