2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I am at Sportsmobile west today. I asked about how they stiffen the body after cutting the top off. He showed me the huge frame that makes up the pop top. He said it is robust to pass a vertical load crush test. That thing is crazy stout and CRAZY heavy steel and must way at least 200 lbs and maybe 250. I would expect that the issue may be handling ( or lack thereof) having 250 lbs wrapped around the top of an already tall roof with a tendency to be top heavy in its stock form. Wow.

Ken,

I have about that much weight on top of my roof (UJOR 6" lift, 35" tires) currently with my FrontRunner rack, Autohome Columbus RTT/etc (no water or fuel), and no handling issues knock on wood. In fact it feels more stable than my G500 did with the same stuff up top on it.
Aluminum up there would be better IMHO.

-Jeremy

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Pasted from the Sportsmobile site:

"Mercedes-Benz required the following test and specifications be met by Sportsmobile to install Penthouse Tops on RB Sprinters.Roof Crush Resistance Test FMVSS 216 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) —
General Testing Laboratories conducted the Roof Crush Test on 07/02/2008.
The Sprinter RB with Sportsmobile's Penthouse Top more than exceeded the test weight requirements.
Roof Weight — Mercedes-Benz allows a maximum added roof weight to the Sprinter of 660 pounds.
The Penthouse Top installed adds about 345 pounds, a difference of 315 pounds.

Center of Gravity — With our RB-50 Conversion and the Penthouse Top, the center of gravity is 45.8", well below Mercedes-Benz specified 51.2" maximum."

Seems like weight and structural integrity are a non-concern.

GR8ADV

Explorer

"Mercedes-Benz required the following test and specifications be met by Sportsmobile to install Penthouse Tops on RB Sprinters.Roof Crush Resistance Test FMVSS 216 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) —
The Sprinter RB with Sportsmobile's Penthouse Top more than exceeded the test weight requirements.
Roof Weight — Mercedes-Benz allows a maximum added roof weight to the Sprinter of 660 pounds.

Center of Gravity — With our RB-50 Conversion and the Penthouse Top, the center of gravity is 45.8", well below Mercedes-Benz specified 51.2" maximum."

Seems like weight and structural integrity are a non-concern.

It's a quality product no doubt and provides the stiffness required as well as passes all of the tests necessary to make this a top drawer professional installation. I was just wondering if the weight of this frame (and resulting higher cg) was possibly a factor as why it can't (or won't based on the integrity of Sportsmobile) be installed on a high top. But what do I know.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I read somewhere, sorry can't find it now, the high top Sprinter's width was too narrow (relative to useful bed width for 2)? Quite possibly, as you state GR8ADV, the resulting COG might be an issue.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I read somewhere, sorry can't find it now, the high top Sprinter's width was too narrow (relative to useful bed width for 2)? Quite possibly, as you state GR8ADV, the resulting COG might be an issue.

That makes sense as the Sprinters seem/are substantially narrower.

GR8ADV

Explorer

I remember that as well. But if that's what the customer wants why not? This leads me to think it might be something else. What the heck I am right here; I will ask and report back.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I remember that as well. But if that's what the customer wants why not? This leads me to think it might be something else. What the heck I am right here; I will ask and report back.

Ok. Sportsmobile has a great relationship with MB. somewhat obvious with all the 4wd sprinters here. They would understandably like to keep their outstanding relationship. Part of this relationship is that they are required to consult with MB with all of their modifications. MB does not want them to do it.

Alaska2Baja

Is that Plasti-Dip on the rims??? Looks great. Was going to powder coat mine but might have to re-consider. Looking forward to the build.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Ok. Sportsmobile has a great relationship with MB. somewhat obvious with all the 4wd sprinters here. They would understandably like to keep their outstanding relationship. Part of this relationship is that they are required to consult with MB with all of their modifications. MB does not want them to do it.

I was just going to ask more on this Ken.
Why/how can MB require SMB to test SMB's own poptops?(SMB should be able to do whatever they want to a Sprinter without MB's say). Is this only because SMB wants to sell their rigs at Mercedes Sprinter dealerships?

GR8ADV

Explorer
Why/how can MB require SMB to test SMB's own poptops?(SMB should be able to do whatever they want to a Sprinter without MB's say). Is this only because SMB wants to sell their rigs at Mercedes Sprinter dealerships?

Alan shared that they are required to contact MB for ANY modification they do to the Sprinters, from drilling a hole to putting in a window. The contractual or otherwise necessity of this is beyond my pay scale. Alan is one of the most straight fwd people I have dealt with. Called every spade a spade, and freely shared with me the good and the needs improvement areas of the products he sells. If you really need to know more, or want to talk philosophy, I suggest you call him at SMB.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader

I think it is reasonable for MB to have approval / review of what SMB does to the van - after all MB still has to warrant the vehicle and if it gets in an accident then they want to verify it will be safe. With the stability programming issues like COG are more important to have verified.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Alan shared that they are required to contact MB for ANY modification they do to the Sprinters, from drilling a hole to putting in a window. The contractual or otherwise necessity of this is beyond my pay scale. Alan is one of the most straight fwd people I have dealt with. Called every spade a spade, and freely shared with me the good and the needs improvement areas of the products he sells. If you really need to know more, or want to talk philosophy, I suggest you call him at SMB.

That's just plain strange. MB didn't request contact for modifications made to my G-Wagen. :p

I think it is reasonable for MB to have approval / review of what SMB does to the van - after all MB still has to warrant the vehicle and if it gets in an accident then they want to verify it will be safe. With the stability programming issues like COG are more important to have verified.

On a brand new van being sold w/ an SMB poptop thru an MB dealership, I could understand yes. Or on any customer van which wants to retain some sort of body/structural warranty thru MB, I could understand as well. Otherwise it's major big-brother, and nothing like I've seen in this industry in over 15yrs.
Where would it stop with MB?; say you want to put a different stereo deck in your Sprinter--so you have to consult MB first, since they would be warrantying the stereo wiring? Lots of hack job wiring installs out there as we've seen which could be a fire hazard.

I might have to re-read the full Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act...

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer

Ah yes, they did also mention that on the phone call.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Where would it stop with MB?; .

Well, have you all not heard of the car manufacturers trying to make it illegal/copyright infringement for anyone to alter ECU programming...i.e. "tuning". I read it as also limiting what any non-branded dealer mechanic would be allowed to mess with as well as issues with warranty like you mention.

Now that I see as a very steep and slippery slope!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears