2016 Wrangler: Reading the tea leaves

x32792

Adventurer
I'm trying to wrap my head around the changes needed to add a pickup to the Jeep lineup.

I don't think the mini truck bed, as used by the AEV Brute, is large enough. The JK8 approach that keeps the existing body tub seems too small, too. To add a useful pickup box, the frame has to be lengthened, and probably strengthened so the truck has a useful payload. That may be too much to ask of the Wrangler platform.

Since Jeep's Toledo manufacturing facility is running at capacity building Wranglers, I think the pickup would have to be built elsewhere if Jeep wants to increase sales. Dodge builds the Ram full size pickups in Mexico, but I don't think that's the answer. Instead, I see a "lifestyle pickup" being added to the Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango lines, built in the Jefferson North facility in Detroit.

The Grand Cherokee platform already has V8 and diesel options, plus that ZF 8 speed transmission that helps fuel economy.

Photos of the JEEP TRUCK(s) "coming soon" have been around for many years -- Better wait until you actually see one on a local lot before you think too much about it.

Clutch

<---Pass
There is still a chance they could screw it up, did the Toyota FJ Cruiser design team dream this one up?
Note the non-folding wind screen, and aero front end..
chineseJeep.jpg

Longtallsally

Adventurer
A couple folks have mentioned 2025. IMO, there will be no off road in 2025- at least not in the US. Land grabbing tree huggers and safety restrictions saving us from ourselves will make it ultra lame like Europe, or force an enthusiast to go to S America or Africa (or Russia or Asia if we all don't off ourselves from fear and/or hatred in the mean time).

Bottom line, I think this is the Golden Age of "off-roading". Moronic influences will begin to force people to population centers and owning a trail vehicle (aside from perhaps a motorcycle) will become space and cost prohibitive.

Sorry to be negative, but I just don't see this lifestyle surviving that far into the future with the (perceived) "advancements" in "society". :(

Clutch

<---Pass
This is a Chinese knockoff...Has nothing to do with Jeep/Chrysler.

Oh I know, Jeep can still screw up the JK...as there is talk of an more aero version with a fixed windscreen.

Just showing the possibilities, hoping they don't go down the same road as Toyota did with the FJ Cruiser.

Septu

Explorer
There is still a chance they could screw it up, did the Toyota FJ Cruiser design team dream this one up?
Note the non-folding wind screen, and aero front end..
View attachment 165996
Oh I know, Jeep can still screw up the JK...as there is talk of an more aero version with a fixed windscreen.

Just showing the possibilities, hoping they don't go down the same road as Toyota did with the FJ Cruiser.

Is that really that bad? I mean most of us will pull the bumper and fenders anyway. As for the non-folding window... how many of us have actually folded the window? And if so, done it more than once or twice? I know I never have. And to be honest, have zero intentions of ever folding it. As long as the top and doors come off, and it's a capable machine off road, then I think I'm good with that...

A couple folks have mentioned 2025. IMO, there will be no off road in 2025- at least not in the US. Land grabbing tree huggers and safety restrictions saving us from ourselves will make it ultra lame like Europe, or force an enthusiast to go to S America or Africa (or Russia or Asia if we all don't off ourselves from fear and/or hatred in the mean time).

Bottom line, I think this is the Golden Age of "off-roading". Moronic influences will begin to force people to population centers and owning a trail vehicle (aside from perhaps a motorcycle) will become space and cost prohibitive.

Sorry to be negative, but I just don't see this lifestyle surviving that far into the future with the (perceived) "advancements" in "society". :(

Glad I live in northern Canada! :) Lots of remote empty space to explore. And lots of old mining roads.

Clutch

<---Pass
Is that really that bad? I mean most of us will pull the bumper and fenders anyway.

Yes, it really is that bad.

As for the non-folding window... how many of us have actually folded the window? .

Because you live in Canada, down here in the American Southwest, the weather is super nice to get the wind your face, especially running around down or crawling along the trail.

Septu

Explorer
Yes, it really is that bad.

Because you live in Canada, down here in the American Southwest, the weather is super nice to get the wind your face, especially running around down or crawling along the trail.

We'll agree to disagree. As for the window. Okay, so some of you guys down there fold the window. What percentage of jeeps in North America do you think fold the window down - 1%? You have to think that at some point Jeep will decide that for the minority it isn't worth it. Or they find a way to allow for a more aerodynamic window that still folds flat. But I don't think many will be heartbroken if they pull this option.

Clutch

<---Pass
We'll agree to disagree. As for the window. Okay, so some of you guys down there fold the window. What percentage of jeeps in North America do you think fold the window down - 1%? You have to think that at some point Jeep will decide that for the minority it isn't worth it. Or they find a way to allow for a more aerodynamic window that still folds flat. But I don't think many will be heartbroken if they pull this option.

Oh you are right, the masses always win. Millions love Justin Bieber too....thanks a lot Canada! LOL :D

Yeah they could redesign the hinge to make it more aero, perhaps a hidden internal hinge....they'll probably won't though, the platform might get a little water down. If they loose the classic round headlights and 7 slotted grill, might chase a few away...masses will gobble it up though.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Here are my 2 cents. First, the JK is the most "blinged out" Jeep ever sold, even in Utah about 70% of owners will never use 4-lo and likely do not even know how to engage it. Second, and probably in that same 70% of blinged out JK buyers, likely wouldn't even know the difference between IFS and a solid axle. And lastly, most of us who do actually want a solid axle and will engage 4-lo at every opportunity are content with 15-20 mpg and really don't are about how noisy our tires might be. But for most of us on here our Jeep is a 2nd or 3rd vehicle and have a car parked next to it that rides smooth and gets 30+mpg.

So if the majority of buyers are in that 70%, what do you think is inevitable for the Wrangler?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Oh you are right, the masses always win. Millions love Justin Bieber too....thanks a lot Canada! LOL :D

Yeah they could redesign the hinge to make it more aero, perhaps a hidden internal hinge....they'll probably won't though, the platform might get a little water down. If they loose the classic round headlights and 7 slotted grill, might chase a few away...masses will gobble it up though.

Even in Moab I very rarely see a window folded down, last thing you want to do is get a face full of dust. Bad enough if they are running without doors on.

Septu

Explorer

Millions loved the back street boys and new kids on the block too.

Yeah, still I actually don't mind the grill there. But then I was never a huge fan of the wrangler's front to begin with. I simply suck it up because of the platform behind it. My favorite front end (other than the hot waitress at the local pub), is that of the WJ.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Is that really that bad? I mean most of us will pull the bumper and fenders anyway. As for the non-folding window... how many of us have actually folded the window? And if so, done it more than once or twice? I know I never have. And to be honest, have zero intentions of ever folding it. As long as the top and doors come off, and it's a capable machine off road, then I think I'm good with that...

I have to agree. As much as I would hate to see the Wrangler getting watered down (don't mess with the frame, don't even think of IFS, keep the two quadra coil solid axles, doors and roof have to be able to come off, forget about a dialy knob thingy that adapts your drive train to mud, snow, rocks and parking lot speed bumps, just keep it a good old mechanical transfer case) the fold down wind shield is now something I would be willing to compromise in favor of better aerodynamics and fuel mileage.

(BTW, I live in the SE of the USA and have probably seen more windshieldless XJ than JK with the windshield folded down)

Clutch

<---Pass
Even in Moab I very rarely see a window folded down, last thing you want to do is get a face full of dust. Bad enough if they are running without doors on.

That is odd, because on Side X Sides, you don't want a windshield since the dust will eddy behind it, just wear googles...easier to keep clean.

It is always dusty here. Either keep the windows up and the blower on to pressurize the cabin, or nothing at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears