2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Clutch

<---Pass
Not to keep beating the dead horse, but so you can put your nearly-dead horse out of its misery, :D I agree--get that Taco. I still think the V6 is a worthwhile upgrade, but if you're happy with the I4, go for it. You could always regear if needed. Should last you a loooong time.

*thumbs-up*

mmp3823

Observer
That might a little too fussy for me, especially coming off Toyotas when you just have to put gas in them and change the oil. Mine is just getting long in the tooth....have 340K on it now, and it really didn't start nickle and diming me until 250K. Can't really complain.

-------

I dunno p nut...even though the Tacoma is butt ugly, still thinking the SR 4Banger is best for a long term vehicle.

That is a problem with all newer diesels with DPF unless you run them on the highway to burn off the particulates the filter is going to clog up. If you get the "gas" engine you should just be able to put gas in it and go.

Clutch

<---Pass
That is a problem with all newer diesels with DPF unless you run them on the highway to burn off the particulates the filter is going to clog up. If you get the "gas" engine you should just be able to put gas in it and go.

Don't know if I would be able to run it hard enough. My commute is 26 miles one way, set the cruise at 65 for 98% of it, guessing RPM on the Colorado would be around 2000. Not sure if that would get it hot enough. Just see expensive repair bills in my future if I got the diesel, as it would be out of warranty in 3 years under my thumb.

Keep on running into the same problem, no one builds what I want for the price I want to pay. Midsize with a V6/Manual Trans under $25K. (diesel is off the table at that price point anyway shouldn't even be looking at them) You can get the Colorado V6 under $25K...but no manny. Can also get the Tacoma SR under $25K with a manny, but no V6. Could live with the auto in the Chevy, don't want to give up the manual trans just yet. Could also live the 4 banger in the Tacoma as a daily, but don't think it is going have enough power loaded down on the 3-4 day weekends/2week trips I like to take throughout the year.

Don't want an auto, since they are expensive to fix out of warranty, as I average 24K miles a year.

All and all, hate spending money on vehicles.

------

Is that horse dead yet, p nut!? :D

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Don't know if I would be able to run it hard enough. My commute is 26 miles one way, set the cruise at 65 for 98% of it, guessing RPM on the Colorado would be around 2000. Not sure if that would get it hot enough. Just see expensive repair bills in my future if I got the diesel, as it would be out of warranty in 3 years under my thumb.

Keep on running into the same problem, no one builds what I want for the price I want to pay. Midsize with a V6/Manual Trans under $25K. (diesel is off the table at that price point anyway shouldn't even be looking at them) You can get the Colorado V6 under $25K...but no manny. Can also get the Tacoma SR under $25K with a manny, but no V6. Could live with the auto in the Chevy, don't want to give up the manual trans just yet. Could also live the 4 banger in the Tacoma as a daily, but don't think it is going have enough power loaded down on the 3-4 day weekends/2week trips I like to take throughout the year.

Don't want an auto, since they are expensive to fix out of warranty, as I average 24K miles a year.

------

Do you think the upcoming Ranger will have a manual option? I can't recall if they said so or not. I do believe it'll have an ecoboost 4 banger option and 6 as well

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah Clutch these horses are well beaten and long dead. Our opinions have been noted by the powers to be and will be ignored in the order in which they have been received. You get what they say you want and you'll like it. Honestly, so what? Life's too short to stress over it. I'll keep wishing for a diesel option but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. Same with stick shift. I'll keep driving and buying if it's an option and keep fixing until I can't. If Toyota notices that 0.000001% hit to profit by my remaining out of the market for a new truck then maybe they'll offer it. If not, so be it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you think the upcoming Ranger will have a manual option? I can't recall if they said so or not. I do believe it'll have an ecoboost 4 banger option and 6 as well

Highly doubt it. Don't want turbos, don't want to spend the out of warranty repair cost. Buying a new vehicle every 3 years just to keep one in warranty doesn't appeal to me. Have had my Tacoma going on 15 years now. Want to pay cash and keep it for a long time.

Used Tacoma market is nuts...usually they are high mile and commanding high dollar, and who knows what is wrong with it, whole point of getting a new truck is that I am tired of fixing the one I have. Which I really like it is just getting old and worn out... it has everything I want, and nothing I don't. Wish I could a brand new one of it.

Last edited:

malibubts

Adventurer

------

I have the Ram EcoDiesel. A full regeneration takes about 9 miles to complete. My commute right now is 15 miles but only about 7 of it is highway. For this truck that is pretty much minimum IMO. On occasion a regeneration will not complete fully, but it doesn't harm the truck. All that happens is you will regenerate sooner on the next go around. 26 miles would be plenty of commute for the Ram and I'd imagine the Duramax is pretty comparable.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah Clutch these horses are well beaten and long dead. Our opinions have been noted by the powers to be and will be ignored in the order in which they have been received. You get what they say you want and you'll like it. Honestly, so what? Life's too short to stress over it. I'll keep wishing for a diesel option but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. Same with stick shift. I'll keep driving and buying if it's an option and keep fixing until I can't. If Toyota notices that 0.000001% hit to profit by my remaining out of the market for a new truck then maybe they'll offer it. If not, so be it.

Yep...why I keep on fixing what I have. Maybe need to get another 1st Gen Taco, and just keep them in rotation as they break.

In the end they are just dumb vehicles to yank around the toys. Not sure why we all stress over these stupid things. Maybe because the dirt bike manufactures already build what I want...no need to stress over them.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have the Ram EcoDiesel. A full regeneration takes about 9 miles to complete. My commute right now is 15 miles but only about 7 of it is highway. For this truck that is pretty much minimum IMO. On occasion a regeneration will not complete fully, but it doesn't harm the truck. All that happens is you will regenerate sooner on the next go around. 26 miles would be plenty of commute for the Ram and I'd imagine the Duramax is pretty comparable.

How do they fair when they get a bunch of miles on them...like 150K plus? On the bigger diesels, all I read is how expensive they are to repair. Had a client in last week complaining about his Ford, said he is going back to gas.

Pretty sure that topic as been beaten to death, diesels great for towing...hard on the bank account when they fail.

DaveInDenver

Used Tacoma market is nuts...usually they are high mile and commanding high dollar, and who knows what is wrong with it, whole point of getting a new truck is that I am tired of fixing the one I have. Which I really like it is just getting old and worn out... it has everything I want, and nothing I don't. Wish I could a brand new one of it.
The market for new Tacomas is also crazy. You know what's out there so you really need to just accept the reality that is and decide something. I am/was in the same boat as you and I can tell you that in a 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma you probably want the V6 even with the stick. They have more power than the older trucks but it's still no V8, especially at any significant elevation. I don't regret one bit getting the 1GR. But OTOH when all is said and done it's not /really/ that much faster up to about 50 MPH than the 22R-E in the old truck since the weight-to-power takes a hit on the newer trucks (and I'm not shy about carrying stuff in it, you know, on account I got the V6).

There is really only 1 situation where I really feel the difference, passing and highway onramps. My truck holds 70MPH fine but the old truck was OK at 60MPH. Off highway the V6 actually doesn't lug as well as the 4 cylinder so the extra power is negligible and not really useful. Around town it makes no difference. So it really does boil down to having the power to get from 50 to 70 really quickly and that's it. I used to be happy sitting behind big rigs and VWs in the slow lane and now I just have the option of the middle climbing lane or making a pass on 2-lanes.

malibubts

Adventurer
That remains to be seen. There are a few folks at that 150k + mark that have not reported any issues, but with a 3 year old platform there aren't a ton of high mileage rigs out there. Obviously you could take a look at the 2500/250 series and look at their DPF/DEF systems as they'll be pretty close.

Love the truck so far (33k) and we'll see how it goes. There is an ability from a couple of vendors to delete these trucks as well, but that's a whole unrelated debate.

I'm still at relatively low miles, but I've had nothing other than oil, filters, and DEF to worry about. At an average of 25MPG from a tank it beats my old GM 5.3 by a pretty wide margin.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

How do they fair when they get a bunch of miles on them...like 150K plus? On the bigger diesels, all I read is how expensive they are to repair. Had a client in last week complaining about his Ford, said he is going back to gas.

Pretty sure that topic as been beaten to death, diesels great for towing...hard on the bank account when they fail.
I think you're comparing apples to oranges, old tech vs. new tech. People used to say they would never in a million years get EFI when their carbs were perfectly fine. So a 5VZ-FE is relatively low tech compared to a modern diesel. But don't you think there's a lot of potential to fail in those 3.5L 2GR-FKS V6s in the new Tacoma? Modified Atkinson Cycle, just sounds fancy and expensive. It's got the fuel economy of gasoline with the complexity of a diesel. Purrfect. My point is there has been great Powerstrokes and junk Powerstrokes over the years so a sample of one is nothing more than anecdotal. Most Ford and Mercedes and VW diesels (the EPA bull aside) just do their thing and as long as you fill the DEF and let it do the burn thing it just works.

Clutch

<---Pass
The market for new Tacomas is also crazy. You know what's out there so you really need to just accept the reality that is and decide something. I am/was in the same boat as you and I can tell you that in a 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma you probably want the V6 even with the stick. They have more power than the older trucks but it's still no V8, especially at any significant elevation. I don't regret one bit getting the 1GR. But OTOH when all is said and done it's not /really/ that much faster up to about 50 MPH than the 22R-E in the old truck since the weight-to-power takes a hit on the newer trucks (and I'm not shy about carrying stuff in it, you know, on account I got the V6).

There is really only 1 situation where I really feel the difference, passing and highway onramps. My truck holds 70MPH fine but the old truck was OK at 60MPH. Off highway the V6 actually doesn't lug as well as the 4 cylinder so the extra power is negligible and not really useful. Around town it makes no difference. So it really does boil down to having the power to get from 50 to 70 really quickly and that's it. I used to be happy sitting behind big rigs and VWs in the slow lane and now I just have the option of the middle climbing lane or making a pass on 2-lanes.

New Tacoma prices are just dumb. The manual trans with the V6 is only available in the Sport model...$32-35K if you can find one. Too much money for a Tacoma. If only they had a V6/manny option in the SR...I might pay $26-27K for that. Still too much for a truck that can't really haul anything, imo.

Only time I am on the interstate is for the work commute, which I am running empty...quite literally set the cruise at 65, sit back and take my punishment. (hate commuting), however it does have plenty of power to pass.

When I am traveling loaded down, steer clear of the gawd awful interstate and stick to 2 lane roads. I am usually the slowest guy on the road...as I am never in a hurry, probalbly good since it struggles on some of the passes. Here, where I go...don't get too much traffic, as I tend to travel Sunday thru Tuesday/Wednesday...so I don't have to deal with the squids. Awfully nice being self employed and get to pick my own schedule. :D

That said my current V6 is barely adequate....doubt if the lesser power of the 4 cyl in a heavier vehicle will cut it.

I dunno, fresh engine with a super charger in what I already have? Pay someone to drop a LS in it? Try and find a reasonably priced clean V6 2nd gen? That 3rd one is next to impossible.

Give up on manual transmissions, and buy a fullsize with a V8? Tundras seem to go the distance, have a couple dirt bike buds that claim they get 19 hwy with theirs.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I think you're comparing apples to oranges, old tech vs. new tech. People used to say they would never in a million years get EFI when their carbs were perfectly fine. So a 5VZ-FE is relatively low tech compared to a modern diesel. But don't you think there's a lot of potential to fail in those 3.5L 2GR-FKS V6s in the new Tacoma? Modified Atkinson Cycle, just sounds fancy and expensive. It's got the fuel economy of gasoline with the complexity of a diesel. Purrfect. My point is there has been great Powerstrokes and junk Powerstrokes over the years so a sample of one is nothing more than anecdotal. Most Ford and Mercedes and VW diesels (the EPA bull aside) just do their thing and as long as you fill the DEF and let it do the burn thing it just works.

Don't trust the 3.5 just yet, that and the gas mileage is lack luster. Might as well buy a V8.

Client's son owns a diesel repair shop, he'll probably put his kid through college paying cash. Or better yet, hand the shop over to him when the time comes...why waste all that money on college!? ;)

p nut

butter
I think it's safe to say we can all now safely convert to Hinduism from the number of times we've witnessed this horse reincarnated.

:D
_
Clutch -- Times are changing. No perfect config exists anymore for you, it seems (in US). But just be thankful you still have manual steering/braking! :D
_
Toyota keeps disappointing. First the new Tacoma. Then, the '18 Tundra
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fi...a-and-sequoia-trd-sport-first-impression.html
_
Hey, how about a mass exodus to Oz? They sell them like this, stock!

ge5554718692057954842.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179