2017 F-550 Camper Build - Ground Up

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Just when I thought I had built a great setup to take me where I want to go comfortably, I got old... Time flies, tomorrow is not guaranteed and as I get older I want more creature comforts.

My 1st Build

My 2nd Build

I will be putting these up for sale together on Expedition Portal between now and Christmas....,

So where do I go from here?

I purchased a low mileage Ford F550 CrewCab Lariat 203 wheelbase with 80" Cab to Axle which I pick up next week.
I actually was going to go after the Stewart & Stevenson LMTV then decided, after much research, that a Ram 5500 or Ford F-550 would be better for me.
The plan from here is to build out a capable class 'c' type of rig that will forge rivers in Alaska & Canada, hit the highways and byways in the Lower 48, and perform well off grid while still being classy enough to go to an RV Park/Campground (Barf).

I have done several years of research and I think I have alot of the build figured out but I will need help for sure and will reach out here for that. I will not spell out the plan, but I will post here with the steps that I think will take me a good part of a year +......
Please leave me your comments and ideas as I move ahead, I appreciate all feedback and links to similar builds....

So how did I put the cart before the F550, I made my first accessory purchase for the bumper I will build. I will need 1 more of these for the rear bumper too...
Picked up on Craigslist for $1,400.00 and am looking for another one at another awesome price...
Cheers....

Attachments

• 71003341450__6132DD68-896F-4EED-9FED-CDB305DA46B7.jpg
    71003341450__6132DD68-896F-4EED-9FED-CDB305DA46B7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 71003340645__E14793FC-9B57-420A-852B-85C737E0A3CB.jpg
    71003340645__E14793FC-9B57-420A-852B-85C737E0A3CB.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
`Truck is purchased and home now...
Next step is the first big purchase:
- Kelderman 4 link or Single link rear, still deciding. ( I did look at Liquid Springs, but the $17k, not including shipping, was the turn off for me)
- Kelderman single bags up front.
- Kelderman Compressor and air Dryer.
I will make the final decision on these within the week. No matter how I slice and dice it, I will need a 2.5-3 inch lift built into the system for more upcoming changes prior to building a habitat on the back. This is exactly why God created plasma cutters and welders.....
Either way step one is done, on to step two.... more to come...

Attachments

• IMG_9642.jpg
    IMG_9642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Scored a rear Kelderman 4 link kit this weekend with what appears to have all hardware, brackets, air lines, sway bar, and bags.. The guy I bought it from cut off the top bag mount plate so he could reweld it higher which would have lowered the rear of his truck. He also cut out the axle mount on the lower plate to fit his axle. He never followed through installing the project so everything is like new other than what was cut where you can see the rust.
My plan is to reweld the top bag plate to the frame plate but add 2.5 inches of lift to it by attaching it 2.5 inches lower than where Kelderman burns it in.. The portions he cut out for his axle he actually kept so I will reweld them right back in place.
I added a picture of a single bracke 'L' shaped with the 4 oblong holes, anyone know what this bracket is for? The guy I bought it from could not remember and I don't see it on Kelderman site?
What's next:
- I now need the Kelderman single bags for the front, which I will also weld in 2.5 inches of lift. I also need the Mechanical Self-Leveling Air Control System with the Dual Compressors for the 4 link and front bags. I already have the mechanical actuators as you can see in the picture, just need the rest. Any take' offs out there for sale let me know.
- I also need the dual steering stabilizer setup, any good deals out there?
- I would like to upgrade the front Radius Arms with heavier duty adjustable ones similar to what EarthRoamer is using, any good deals out there?
- Trying to decide on 20" super single wheels. I am split between Buckstops, Stazworks, and DBL's. I'm waiting on info from Stazworks after speaking to them, been a while... DBL has the forged aluminum with steel center and the communication/customer service has been the best so far. A close 2nd is BuckStop, like there wheels and the customer service has been good. It's just hard to decide, leaning toward DBL's wheels. Any thoughts on this out there?
- My mind is made up on the GoodYear G275 MSA 335/80/R20 tires....

Once the air suspension is in and tires and wheels are on then I will be building my bumper, still need one more Warn 16.5ti....
Then once that is done I will build..........more to come......

Attachments

• Kelderman4.jpg
    Kelderman4.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
  • Kelderman3.jpg
    Kelderman3.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
  • Kelderman2.jpg
    Kelderman2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • Kelderman1.jpg
    Kelderman1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33

LikeABoss

Observer
Just did a kelderman 2 stage rear. Stazworks is 2 hours from me. John is very knowledgeable and much more willing to discuss options with me opposed to buckstop. I’ve had them on a full 3 days now. Very easy to mount with the 2 piece wheels. Taking off… not so much. Tire shops didn’t want to work with 2 piece even though bold together is very safe. I did everything myself. They are heavy duty wheels, that is certain.

f107f3b70df288ed231771c12495e517.jpg

cb1e2be87cc3da4841624f9192cdc7a3.jpg

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
LikeABoss, truck looks ready to take on the world....

So this morning looking on Kelderman website I saw that the kit I bought is for the F550 BUT only up to 2016, I have a 2017 F550, in comparison between the 2 kits I now know the sway bar won't work and the positioning of the frame brackets will not line up with some holes.
I am going to call them on Monday to see if they can spell out the exact differences to determine if I can fabricate my way out of this one without completely rebuilding the entire kit. anyone know all the exact differences between the 2016 and older vs the 2017 an newer 4 link f550 kits? Cant believe I made this mistake and assumed the f550 kit would work on all F550's without looking... I need to slow down.

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Curious of the info that went into the cab to axel distance decision . Only the regular cab has 108 and 120, so possibly that was that. I am pondering this decision as well. I would like a super cab, but 84 ca seems low but may not be.

How much rear overhang is acceptable to folks?

Great thread so far!! Thanks for sharing the good with the bad. But really, in a cool build is there really any bad…

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
GR8ADV - I have the 84" cab to axle. My opinion, I'm not an expert at all (aka backyard fabricator & rattle can pro-painter), but hang over needs to be thought of in 2 ways...
1) How much mass do you want swinging way out behind you. For an OverLander probably not a lot otherwise u-turns on trails and other interesting places could be extremely interesting. Not looking to back down a trail for miles.
2) Weight, you down want the front end too light, keep the weight in the middle for handling, etc....
Again, just my internet driven opinion from research and asking friends.
By the way when did it become 'overlanding', as kids we used to just call it wheeling and camping.... Weird.....

So after looking at the 4-link yesterday afternoon into the evening I went ahead and cheated by ordering the right bracketry and sway bar.
It will take 2-3 weeks to build and then ship. Not much else to do at this point but wait for it to come in.
Still need the front kelderman airbag kit, if anyone has a line on a used/takeoff unit let me know.
Also trying to figure out how to get around buying the Kelderman compressor air dryer kit and make my own or purchase one on the cheap...
Also any good deals on dual stabilizers let me know... thank you for any help or feedback...
May be a while till my next post, going hunting for more parts and an upcoming week long backpacking trip......

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Turns out not all of the Kelderman pieces I bought 2nd hand will not work for me since this is a pre 2017 kit, (I thought I could make it work but I'm going the easier route). I had to order the 2017 braketry from Kelderman. Waiting on them now.
Pieces of the kit I bought new now for sale:

I also ordered the front air bag kit, dual compressors with air drier and their electronic controller for the airbags so I can level out the truck when parked for the night. I ordered their dual steering stabilizers as well... Going all in on the suspension... More to come on that, waiting on the pieces from kelderman now...
To fit the M275 Goodyears my plan is to use 3 inch high blocks underneath the airbags. Not alot of lift, and I know I will need to cut out part of the front wheel well and grill/radiator support to make the tires fit.
I'm trying to keep the center of gravity low... Looking at buying either Buckstops front fender flare kit or DLB Designs, still thinking about it....

Darwin

Explorer
Going with some cut out fender flares would negate the need for the front lift. Also, I drive around without any sway bar and it makes a huge difference.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Thanks Darwin,.. I am going to cut out the fender pieces to make the 335's fit, patches come with the replacement fenders I am buying.. I'll ponder your swaybar idea... Sill waiting on Kelderman shipment...
I spoke for AMP RESEARCH and then say they do not have a electric step ,set for the crewcab cab chassis
I see they have one for the F450, why would this not work? They would not answer that question and deferred to the statement that they can con offer tips on retrofits. So odd....
Anyone know?

Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
As an update I have been working on getting parts in.
What I am finding when you orders wheels, bumpers, suspension, etc, pretty much anything for and F550 nothing is in stock, it is all made once ordered. Granted some of the stuff still on the way is special ordered.
1 - Either way, I have done a lot of misc work on the interior like replacing scratched pieces, shampooing carpet and headliner, etc.... Mechanically All fluids and filters have been changed so I now have a baseline of when to change fluids and filters as I roll forward. I don't think the cabin air filter was ever changed. The radiator is flushed, tranny changed with filter, axles, transfer case, fuel filers, yada yada yada.
2 - I got into the engine bay and replaced to cold air pipe with Sinister Deisel's upgrade, defiantly will not have to worry about that pipe. Also bought their battery tiedowns since mine were rusted.
3 - I hate chrome so I replaced the chrome grill with the factory black, I like it... My front black bumper is ordered and will be here some time in the next 4 weeks once built. I was going to make my own but found one close to what I was going to do and ended up getting a great price on it.
4 - I took off the factory running boards, sold them in a day, and installed the Amp Research Extreme boards with two motors per side and the LED lights. Way better, and comes down significantly lower than the factory boards. When they are up the sides of the truck look so much cleaner. The only issue with the install was that the wiring harness is not long enough for the led lights on each side so I had to splice in extra wire so the lights would reach the right spots under the body... Amp Research Part # AMP-78235-01A. I also installed the OBDII splitter so that I don't have to worry about ever unplugging the running boards from the OBDII, came out clean. The splitter screw holes do not match up to factory holes under the dash so I made an adapter which came out very clean and looks factory, the rest of the harness I zipped way up by the instrument cluster where it won't rattle and is out of the way of everything. Splitter: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...LH5gHNLBuezyyG6vB5G-2cGBXiH-NktxoCKjMQAvD_BwE
5 - Purchased the auto agent with unlimited tunes. Love this thing, I can get any tune I need and get diagnosed remotely by mechanics and so much more.. Very cool...
6 - Picked up 4 of Rigids D-series lights for my pending bumper. I know I will eventually add more lights but I want to get more 'things' installed on the truck before I make more decisions on lighting. The new bumper has a spot for 4 lights so this decision was easy.
7 - I went with f150leds.com led bulbs and swapped them, way better than stock headlight bulbs...
https://www.f150leds.com/?gclid=Cjw...CxbEhLuLtN3o1dz6x60IJALIFpEPTtLhoCcjgQAvD_BwE

I do need help making a decision on front fender flares. As stated, I will have the Kelderman airbags with 2.5 lift up front. I need to do the standard surgery on the fender and wheel well no matter what fender flare I get.
I am looking at:
- DBL Designs Generation 1, its simple too me. Gen 2 & 3 take away from the front factory look which I like. Gen 1 is just plain and simple. BuckStop is great looking and comes with everything to do the surgery on the wheel well, $1,600 and there is a 3-5 month backlog. Lastly, Fabfour looks good but in my NOVICE opinion the surgery required for these is way overboard. I also don't think it will cover my tires well. My last option is making my own out of 1 ½ DOM, ¼ wall tube with 14 gauge steel plate, then have the rhino lined, kinda like the old Jeeper style tube fenders...Any other options out there I an missing. The goal is minimal to no lift to fit the 335/80R20 tires. Either way I will have to disassemble the entire front and, conduct surgery and put it back together again to attain this..
Gen 1
FabFours
ford-super-duty-open-fender-system-fender-flare
BuckStop

So what's next, I'm picking up 5 GoodYear G275 335/80R20's this week. Wheels are getting shipped to me next week, more to come on which wheels I purchased on my next post..

Attachments

• AutoAgentj.jpg
    AutoAgentj.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • ENGINE1.JPG
    ENGINE1.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • Delete1.jpg
    Delete1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 61
  • Step1.jpg
    Step1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 58
  • BumperComparison.jpg
    BumperComparison.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Another baby step completed today...
Five Goodyear G275 335/80R2 arrived today and are now in the garage, wheels should be here within the week.
Compared to the stock F550 rear wheel.
I also compared in the my Jeeps 35x12.5 MTR's....

Attachments

• Tire3.jpg
    Tire3.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 34
  • Tire2.jpg
    Tire2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Tire1.jpg
    Tire1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Darwin, you can pick them up anywhere from 8-9 hundred plus dollars from some places all the way up to $2k a piece if you just google them, this is what I have found searching for these. Really a wide range of prices. I believe/assume that's due to blem's that are sold, Govplanet auctions ones that are out there, etc, but I am not the expert just a novice consumer of these tires. So a wide variety of prices..... I went with these due to the alleged milage people are getting out of them 50k plus when rotated and taken care of and the weight capacity that I will need when eliminating the dual rear tires/wheels..
Once I have them mounted I am taking them down to be trued, also known as shaven to ensure they are perfectly round, then balanced.
Can't wait for the wheels to get here.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Wheels are in and I ended up going with..........................5 Stazworks 40 series wheels made it in today, can't wait to mount the tires on these....
You can see the deep dish is for the rear and the shallow is for the front.
The wheels are rated at 8000 pounds....
I went with Stazworks due to the style of them and the 8000k rating as piece of mind. It was a tough decision but after talking to each one of the wheel builders I was looking at, John at Stazworks talked me into it. Very happy with these so far...

Wheel Front.jpgWheel Rear.jpgWheel Stack.jpgFor the spare I got another front wheel which can be mounted front or back just by flipping it...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior