2017 F-550 Camper Build - Ground Up

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Got the tires on the wheels this weekend.
The rear Kelderman 4 link kit showed up palletized, 800 pounds of goodness, compressor included.
Next up is taking the wheels in to my local guy and he will:
- Set the beads
-True the tires ( some people call it shaving the tires) to ensure they are round.
-Then balance the tires and wheels if needed after trueing.
With work and all it will take me a few weeks to get this done. After that its all about the rear suspension coming off and the rear 4 link going on.
Next step after that is more than likely ordering the front airbag system from Kelderman if I can't find a good deal floating around out there first....
I was worried about going with the Kelderman setup over the way more expensive liquid spring setup. The pros for me are that I can service the entire suspension and get parts ie bolts & bags & compressors just about anywhere. For me, with liquid springs, if something goes wrong then its waiting on them to ship you whatever (held hostage) on top of other issues I have read about. I only know this from my research on the net so do your own research and get what's best for you...

Attachments

• Wheel 4.jpg
    Wheel 4.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • Wheel1.jpg
    Wheel1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • Wheel3.jpg
    Wheel3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • Wheel5.jpg
    Wheel5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
And in the box was the bumper. Their build time for my truck right now is 6-8 weeks....
They love their logo, holy cow it's Youge!!!... I like the bumper though.. My tube bender could never bend this diameter of tube...
They did not not fully welded at all junctions though, Kinda a bummer but I really do like it despite that.
I thought about fully welding and then adding a hatch door for the winch but then I have to get it sandblasted and repowedercoated... Eh, I'm good...
Thank you Road Armor team, I like your bumper, but chill out on your logo it could be smaller, clean up your weld spatter (or use spatter spray) and fully weld these babies....
I can say their customer service is perfect. They answer all emails and phone calls most of which is same day, not many Companies do, bravo!
Either way I'm happy.

Attachments

• Bumper 5.jpg
    Bumper 5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Bumper6.jpg
    Bumper6.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • Bumper4.jpg
    Bumper4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • Bumper3.jpg
    Bumper3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • Bumper2.jpg
    Bumper2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Thank you Road Armor team, I like your bumper, but chill out on your logo it could be smaller,

I 100% agree. I have a modified Iron Cross bumper on my C4500 and the same with their logo.
Stock photo
ic.png

The top is going to get a doubler for lights, bar, or bare and the lower is getting bead welded and ground.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Landed the Kelderman dual steering stabilizer kit this week.
Starting to come to the realization its almost time to start installing some of this...
Anyone have a lead on the 2 stage Kelderman front air bag system. Waiting on a good deal for the front kit...
I have almost everything in to start putting on the truck. Once done then the 4 point subframe and habitat build begins..
I have a few more things coming... Once its all here the truck portion of the build starts...
Steering1.jpg

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Santa delivered Keldermans 3H inflation system today. I sold the kit that came with my 4 link rear and upgraded....
This will allow me to level the truck at any chosen camp site. Will also help with side hilling, raising and lowering the truck for whatever other reasons..
Before the complete tear down of the truck starts i am waiting on 4 more items:
- Kelderman front air bag kit.
- Titans 60 gallon frame mounted transfer tank. (giving me a total of 100 gallons)
- Buckstop's front cutout fender flares
- PowerStops front and rear performance brake pads & cross drilled and slotted rotor kit. Brakes are about toasted.....IMG_1855.jpg

Last edited:

F450BIGFOOT

Got the tires on the wheels this weekend.
The rear Kelderman 4 link kit showed up palletized, 800 pounds of goodness, compressor included.
Next up is taking the wheels in to my local guy and he will:
- Set the beads
-True the tires ( some people call it shaving the tires) to ensure they are round.
-Then balance the tires and wheels if needed after trueing.
With work and all it will take me a few weeks to get this done. After that its all about the rear suspension coming off and the rear 4 link going on.
Next step after that is more than likely ordering the front airbag system from Kelderman if I can't find a good deal floating around out there first....
I was worried about going with the Kelderman setup over the way more expensive liquid spring setup. The pros for me are that I can service the entire suspension and get parts ie bolts & bags & compressors just about anywhere. For me, with liquid springs, if something goes wrong then its waiting on them to ship you whatever (held hostage) on top of other issues I have read about. I only know this from my research on the net so do your own research and get what's best for you...
I’m running the same tires on buckstop wheels, unfortunately two are quite out of round after 6k miles. Where are you taking yours to get trued? Many thanks!

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I’m running the same tires on buckstop wheels, unfortunately two are quite out of round after 6k miles. Where are you taking yours to get trued? Many thanks!
Sorry, been kinda negligent about getting on here... I took them to POMP in Auburn Washington. come to find out they no longer have their machine to do the trueing any longer. I still had them balance the tires and wheels though....

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Been a while since I last posted, apologies...... Im still all in, recently picked up a front set of BuckStop fiberglass unpainted Fenders with their headlight structure support kit. There will be cutting of the headlight structure/framing and cutting on the aluminum cab to make these fit. 2 inches overall will be cut out of the fenders. I am going to spray the fender black with either Lizard Skin or Raptor Liner, still debating which to use of just take into rhino lining...
My goal is to get the tires to fit with no rub and keep the center of gravity as low as possible....
So where am I at on my shopping list, things yet to buy:
- Front Kelderman 2 stage kit.
- 60 gallon fuel tank, but I think I found a guy locally to build a custom one that will tuck up above the frame rails. With 84" cab to axle there is a ton of room.....
- Kryptonite Control Arms, they are cantilevered to help with the turning radius of the front to prevent rubbing on the tires.
- PowerStop brake kit # K7423-36 this is the Extreme kit with cross drilled and slotted rotors front and rear.
Once I get these items then i will start ripping in to things. Once the suspension is done I will take measurement for King Custom shocks (more to come on that later).
One funny thing (realization) I have discovered while speaking with apposing suspension companies, apposing wheel companies, etc they all think each others product is extremely inferior, so don't listen to their hype so much. Research the product on their sites and in forums for real world use and use what will work best for your situation....

Attachments

• Fenders2.jpg
    Fenders2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Fenders.jpg
    Fenders.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

twmcneilly

Sorry, been kinda negligent about getting on here... I took them to POMP in Auburn Washington. come to find out they no longer have their machine to do the trueing any longer. I still had them balance the tires and wheels though....
Thanks for the update. I found a shop in Sparks Nevada and had them true up 4 of mine. Sadly a lot of material had to be removed, but the result was a much, much better ride. I can highly recommend Sunshine Service and Alingment, and they have lots of experience with really large off road tires I’ll take my extras with me next time I’m headed that direction, and have them true up the rest.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
So where am I at on my shopping list, things yet to buy: - 60 gallon fuel tank, but I think I found a guy locally to build a custom one that will tuck up above the frame rails.
I would bet you have the same frame rail width and room as my C4500 Kodiak. I picked up a used International 4400 saddle tank that is a perfect fit between the frame rails right behind the cab (above the driveshaft). 50/60 gallons (get the one without a built-in step). There are tons out there so cheap (I paid $200 and was able to pick it up, so no shipping). I can measure it for you if you like.

4440.pngaux fuel.jpg

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Good idea, when you install pop some pictures on the thread, I like the idea AND price! Ill see what my tank guy comes up with first then go from there... thank you again for the idea.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Im at that point where it is time to sell the flatbed so I can get everything situated for the 4 point subframe..
Private Message me I'm interested so that this thread doesn't get junked up with 'For Sale' stuff... I am in the greater Tacoma Washington area, you will need to pick this up.
It's a CM Truck Bed Flat Bed in great condition. This is not the small one, its their biggest one.. It is currently on a 2017 F550 cab chassis that is 84" cab to axle and 203" wheelbase. This flatbed is big!! It measure 141" long by 98" wide. It has LED stop/turn/marker lights. It is set up for gooseneck or bumper towing. $4,000.00..
Manufacturer Info:
LENGTH: 11'4" HEADACHE RACK: Steel Tube DECK: 1/8" Treadplate FRAME RAILS: 4" Structural Channel Steel CROSSMEMBERS: 3" x 3/16" Channel REAR SKIRT: Solid One Piece with Tapered Corners GN HITCH: 30K B&W Hitch with Welded Ball BP HITCH: 24K B&W 2 1/2" receiver hitch with receiver tube FUEL FILL: Angled 12V TRAILER PLUG: 12V Round 7 Pin in GN Box, Round 7 Pin/4 Way Flat on Rear REAR LIGHTING: Clear LED Oval LIGHT BOX (REAR SKIRT): Steel MARKER LIGHTING: Bullet DOT Approved LED..

Attachments

• FLATBED1.jpg
    FLATBED1.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 18
  • FLATBED2.jpg
    FLATBED2.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 18
  • FLATBED3.jpg
    FLATBED3.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 17
  • FLATBED4.jpg
    FLATBED4.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 16
  • FLATBED5.jpg
    FLATBED5.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 16
  • FLATBED6.JPG
    FLATBED6.JPG
    514.7 KB · Views: 18
  • FLATBED8.jpg
    FLATBED8.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I was able to pick up 4 (old but working) manual camper jacks for $60.00. I made brackets for them this past weekend to use to jack the flatbed up off of the frame. My plan is to get the flatbed disconnected this weekend so I can start working on cleaning up the truck frame.
My Kelderman front suspension arrived today. I can''t wait to start digging into this, the garage is about full.... Probably the most important part of the build was also in the box I received today, the quintessential hat....BOOOM!!!!!!

Attachments

• Kelderman 2.jpg
    Kelderman 2.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Kelderman front 1.jpg
    Kelderman front 1.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Hat.jpg
    Hat.jpg
    919.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Camper Jacks.jpg
    Camper Jacks.jpg