2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with J30 (gobirubicon)

rubicon91

Explorer
We made it thru the storm. Luckily it hit Marco island and Naples firhe

Well good, I rarely watch the TV but I have around 7 friends in the area so I forced myself to watch the news and weather stations as long as I could stand the repeating stories. I talked to my friend in Ft. Meyers this morning and they were allowed to leave the shelter but no power so no water.
We have water just no power. I have heard they are struggling to restore it at this time. Internet and phone service very intermittent but after working all day i was able to jump in the shower and have a luke warm one. Could have been so much worse it the storm hadn't gone from a 4 to a 2 by the time it got here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
Glad to read you all survived with minimal damage.
Hope the clean up goes quick and easy.
Thanks Scott yeah long road to go hopefully power and internet restored soon. Vacation in 9 days need to work beforehand or no vacation.

rubicon91

Explorer
Some pics from last night and today. I didn't drive around much at all this is all local to me. I was almost hit 5x as people do not realize lights out = 4 way stop intersection so I stayed off the road.
3b704e3b96f7506bbbc640b061d1f8c3.jpg
94d0ab3e26893ffb4ea18aa88f597e85.jpg
c5ad4118d2ebcfdaf5144e1da14acc8f.jpg
0b0b969a2921262d58c30e9887af812d.jpg
635274121a7a53d378a69bde78728a30.jpg
a65dc802629cf2367c4e333a9d0527d5.jpg
1c874538cdfd408fbc3bf80c84c3ed7a.jpg
b029ea85b0539308c7f611986f9a3f3e.jpg
145142f25432f80d2057a0b451fe094b.jpg

akpostal

Adventurer
And that is why I live on the top of a hill. I can always raft out here with the dog and cat, or stay here high and dry with a months worth of food at home.

No beer would suck, but I have spent 8+ hours on the oars before sober.

Crap ETA: I prefer living in earthquake territory, hurricane prone areas scare me. I was on the Outer Banks when Hugo started to roll in, Ill take the risk of an earthquake. Myrtle Beach was still rebuilding 2 years after Hugo, and 20 years later i still have a jelly fish scar from that trip.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Crazy!

A friend was telling me that up north, there is at least one entire electric sub station flooded to the point all the equipment will need to be replaced. That's going to take some time. Also getting power poles may be an issue. They may need to come from further west.
Really feel for all you good folks.
I was thinking about Florida being the number one retirement destination, and thinking about all the people in assisted living and memory care centers. Super Mutt and I go visit those places out here. The stress those folks, and their care providers are under... man. It's just a really tough situation.
Hope the aid/support is overwhelming and fast.

rubicon91

Explorer
So before the Hurricane came I was preparing for my big trip next week. One of the things I did was remount my solar heated road shower to my Jeep. Today was the first day we had everyone back at work. The strain of all the computers and everything overheated our generator at work. Well the owner was trying to hook a hose up to the side of the building but we were missing a piece on the building. Roadshower to the rescue. It was still full in case I needed it for showers after the storm. So pressurize and boom generator is fine now and we are all back to work. A little urban overland use lol

Attachments

• 20170914_094335_resized.jpg
    20170914_094335_resized.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 64

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
And that's the beauty of having all that stuff on your rig- I can't count the number of times i've used things at work, home, or just the most bizarre settings that most people normally wouldn't have.

rubicon91

Explorer
Had to get some prep done for my trip in a few days. Got power back last night Yahoo. Still a ton of people here without power. Certain areas are still flooded everyone doing what they can. The prep today was getting my off-road evolution protek skid plate system installed as well as finally mounting my powertank propane mount and putting propane bottle on to see. Next up is to put the trailer contents all back together after using so much over last week due to this Irma nonsense. Hope to be on the road by Wednesday afternoon to get to Applachian Rendezvous by Thursday mid day.
6ed6071b909ec57a83f81a1eeda2f095.jpg
e536653923cb599d91112282ff10db81.jpg
e9aebef7682845cd4c96813e6064905c.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That EVO skid plate setup is really nice!
Will look forward to hearing how the propane tank works out. I'll be running the same thing on the Scout. :)

Hope the trip is epic fun! :beer:

encryption

@rubicon91 - great build. I have a couple of questions on your setup. I love the look of the Gobi Rack but I've heard that MPG and highway sound turn for the worse with it. How's your experience been? Also, how much room do you have left between your fridge and the TF shelf? I'm not a Jeep owner yet but I am embarking on the overland build adventure when the 18 JL's are out, in anticipation of which, I bought the 65L Dometic which is 22' tall vs the 20" on the 50 qt ARB.

rubicon91

Explorer
@rubicon91 - great build. I have a couple of questions on your setup. I love the look of the Gobi Rack but I've heard that MPG and highway sound turn for the worse with it. How's your experience been? Also, how much room do you have left between your fridge and the TF shelf? I'm not a Jeep owner yet but I am embarking on the overland build adventure when the 18 JL's are out, in anticipation of which, I bought the 65L Dometic which is 22' tall vs the 20" on the 50 qt ARB.

Thank you encryption! So you will not have any room between the TF shelf and the fridge. The shelf is on the highest setting and I cannot get my hand between the lid and shelf. As far as the Gobi Rack is concerned yes you do lose some MPG. I could care less about MPG meaning I drive a Jeep so I dont expect to get 18-20 mpg. I get between 12-13 which has been par for the course for both my JKs. I also do not necessarily run it hard driving but I also dont ease into or stay at a certain speed to get great gas mileage. As far as noise is concerned I have had both a soft and hard top. The hardtop with the gobi on is still more quiet in my opinion than a soft top is. I hardly notice any noise at all with my radio on. Now if the radio is off yes I hear it but it is not anything to drastic at all. With you waiting on the new Jeep I am sure that none of what I have on mine would be available to even install on the JL's for a while. Hope this all helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online