2017 Ridgeline

Clutch

<---Pass
I was actually surprised that the F150 super crew has more room than a Tundra Crewmax. My kids love the space. I also didn't know that the ext cab has more room than a Taco DC. If you don't haul people regularly, that'll be the way to go. One other thing that I love is the 36 gal gas tank. I'm at 240 miles and the tank's not even half empty!

I'm about to take a 500 mile trip this weekend into Wyoming, so I'll see what an extended highway MPG will be. I'll be happy if it stays at 24mpg. (I typically go 70-75MPH). I also just got a Bakflip tonneau cover, so maybe that will help as well. (or not, according to Mythbusters).

I was surprised myself how much leg room is back there. While we don't haul people often...maybe 2 weeks out of the whole year...the option would be nice. The better half is small she would be ok back there. We actually took my Tacoma more the the SUV this past summer when people were visiting, because we ran down a lot of dirt roads. Since the SUV is only RWD and has street tires, didn't fully trust it. She was a little sick of the jump seats of the Taco to say the least.

I like that flat floor if the rear compartment of the F150 too, be perfect for my MX gear bags. I try to stay off the interstate...only use it for the work commute, the section I use the speed limit is 65, so I might be able to consistently get that 24 HWY. The Bi-Ways getting up into the mountains are 55-65. The huge gas tank sure would be nice for traveling...my 1st gen Tacoma has a 15 gallon...feel like I am at the gas station often!

With Ford's deep discounts, man... looks like the best deal out of the three: http://www.corwinfordnampa.com/new/...a0e0a6b309c91c03a3a6732.htm?searchDepth=1:138

Apdl

Observer
I have been waiting for months, since Honda released the teaser.

They did not disappoint, I think this is all the truck you need and it will be a great "soft" overlander

p nut

butter
With Ford's deep discounts, man... looks like the best deal out of the three: http://www.corwinfordnampa.com/new/...a0e0a6b309c91c03a3a6732.htm?searchDepth=1:138

Just a tip: It's weird how Ford's discounts work, but try to see if you can find a 2015 with the 302a package. They're doing a $2k rebate on them, as opposed to $750 for 301a. So it comes out to almost the same price as a 301a, but you get so much more. That's what I ended up getting on a super crew. Well-worth it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Just a tip: It's weird how Ford's discounts work, but try to see if you can find a 2015 with the 302a package. They're doing a $2k rebate on them, as opposed to $750 for 301a. So it comes out to almost the same price as a 301a, but you get so much more. That's what I ended up getting on a super crew. Well-worth it.

Thanks for the tip. I have looking at the XL's with the power package 101a (is it called?)

Between the three Tacoma, Ridgeline, F150...it is really splitting hairs for me, each has their pros and cons.

Since I keep my vehicles rather long term, 10-15 years, the turbos on the Ford...cause a bit of concern. If I did the Ford, it most likely be the 5.0....my buddy gets 20 mpg hwy out of his.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, 36 gallons in the tank is amazing! I think fuel tank size is something that manufacturers often overlook, particularly on vehicles for the US or Western European market where gas stations are easy to find.
P Nut: 24 MPG x 36 gallons works out to > 800 miles range? :Wow1:
I never really thought about it until I had a 3rd gen 4runner that was lucky to get 16 MPG in the city and a pitiful 18.5 gallon tank. Pissed me off when my low fuel light would come on at 210 miles. :mad:

njtacoma

Explorer
I really like the new Ridgeline it is a good looking vehicle.

The challenge for me is kind of what you (clutch) are saying (I think) and that is it is hard to justify a $33k truck that gets 33mpg and is smaller when the larger truck still gets high 20's. I'll take the larger truck, which also might be cheaper by several thousand dollars.

I had a DC Tacoma 04, and it didn't get great mileage, but it was small. Next for me will probably be an AWD Express, similar mileage as my tacoma, but better for cruising down the highway.

Of course when I see a ridgeline in person that may change!

p nut

butter
Thanks for the tip. I have looking at the XL's with the power package 101a (is it called?)

Between the three Tacoma, Ridgeline, F150...it is really splitting hairs for me, each has their pros and cons.

Since I keep my vehicles rather long term, 10-15 years, the turbos on the Ford...cause a bit of concern. If I did the Ford, it most likely be the 5.0....my buddy gets 20 mpg hwy out of his.

I've heard the 5.0's getting 22-23mpg, but not sure how credible the source is. I thought about the turbo's as well, but 1) I drive like a grandpa and 2) these newer liquid/oil-cooled turbo's seem to be doing much better than old ones that needed service every 40-60k miles. A friend had a Saab back in the day and seemed like lots of trouble with the turbo's. Hoping this will last me quite a few years as well, but we'll see. Encouraging to see older 3.5 Ecoboosts getting up to 200-300k miles.

Wow, 36 gallons in the tank is amazing! I think fuel tank size is something that manufacturers often overlook, particularly on vehicles for the US or Western European market where gas stations are easy to find.
P Nut: 24 MPG x 36 gallons works out to > 800 miles range? :Wow1:
I never really thought about it until I had a 3rd gen 4runner that was lucky to get 16 MPG in the city and a pitiful 18.5 gallon tank. Pissed me off when my low fuel light would come on at 210 miles. :mad:

Yeah, this is my first truck with 20+ gallon capacity. I'll have to test out the 800 mile range. :) The 36 gal tank was a deal breaker for me, and glad I got it. Filling up once every 3 weeks is nice!

Old Tacomas and 4Runners' gas tanks definitely were undersized. I'm guessing this new Ridgeline will also have ~19gal tank like the Pilot. I think the problem is real estate underneath, especially with that gigantic bed trunk they've got.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The one thing I'm a little skeptical about is the spare tire placement. Sure hope you don't get a flat when you're hauling a load of stuff. It would kind of suck to have to unload all your crap just to get to the spare!

p nut

butter
OT for a minute: Martinjmpr - when did you sell the 4Runner? Like the Suburban better? Almost bought the wife a Tahoe, but we're probably going with the new Pilot. Nice rigs for sure.

Clutch

<---Pass
The challenge for me is kind of what you (clutch) are saying (I think) and that is it is hard to justify a $33k truck that gets 33mpg and is smaller when the larger truck still gets high 20's. I'll take the larger truck, which also might be cheaper by several thousand dollars.

Yep that is what I am saying...going by what the Pilot prices are, assuming the Ridgeline will be similar. LX AWD Pilot starts at $32K, EPA rates hwy at 27, real world it is looking like the number is closer to 22-23 according to what I see on fuelly, and reading some reviews. Some great features on the Honda...but for the price might as well get the bigger truck even if you don't really need it.

And that brings up the Tacoma. $25K for the 4 banger 4WD ACLB...there is $6-7000 in savings right off the bat, won't be the fastest thing on the road, but will get the job done...and most likely be able to run it up to 500,000 miles without much fuss. While getting low 20's mpg.

Or get a Sport or Offroad...$32-33K...be the best off-roader right out of the box...while I don't off-road too much in a 4 wheeled vehicle anymore...I still on occasion still get out there...especially if the weather is bad, and I don't want to be on the bike.

As for passengers, 2 weeks out of the year...do I really need that...probably not. Just go rent something when we have visitors.

It really is splitting hairs, weighing the pros and cons of what I need out of a vehicle, and how much I am willing to spend.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
OT for a minute: Martinjmpr - when did you sell the 4Runner? Like the Suburban better? Almost bought the wife a Tahoe, but we're probably going with the new Pilot. Nice rigs for sure.
Sold it in early December. Bought the 'Burb a week later. So far I like the Suburban a lot. It's very comfortable, in terms of noise it's about the same as the 4runner. Haven't hooked it up to the trailer yet so I haven't seen how it will do as a tow vehicle but I like the extra room.
Only downside to the Suburban may seem odd for such a massive vehicle but I don't have enough little cubbies and pockets for all the stuff I habitually carried in the 4runner!

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
EPA Ratings announced as 19/26 for FWD and 18/25 for 4WD. Good for the V6 and the power, but not dominating by any means.
For reference, 2016 Pilot is at 18/26 for 4WD.
Nothing new to report on towing or payload capabilities.

Colorado V6 4WD is at 17/24 and the 2.5L I4 4WD is at 19/25. Cost for the V6 is about the same but you do get a 4LO.

p nut

butter
Thanks for posting that. I think there is still a good market for the Ridgelines. It will ride better and I bet better combined MPG compared to Colorado and Tacoma than what's actually stated. If it rides like the new Pilot, it will be a great road trip vehicle.

Dake21

Adventurer
Not my cup of tea but it still matters for those who want best in class fuel economy without going diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle