2017 Yukon XL Denali (4WD): can you lift it and build it?

TFS Destruction

I have a Jeep Wrangler that's pretty extensively modded for expo. It's the only vehicle I've built out (well, picked parts and paid people to build out . . . )

However, earlier this year I added to my garage a 2017 Yukon XL Denali (4WD). And of course, I can never leave well enough alone. Especially after seeing some of the Suburban builds on here. Then I saw David13's 2012 Yukon XL Denali build. See: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...on-xl-Denali-AWD-build?highlight=gmt-800+sale

Now I want to know to what extent I could build out a 2017 Yukon similarly.

Then I ran across some pictures of a late model lifted Yukon Denali on the Hennessey performance page . . . scroll to bottom of http://hennesseyperformance.com/veh...yukon-6-2l-v8-di-hpe650-supercharged-upgrade/

My initial questions surround whether there are more and more limits on modifications to newer vehicles that have so many nannies and governors lurking in the machine. For example, I think I was reading that some lifts will interfere with the Denali's magnetic ride system as well as the various automatic cruise control and other safety sensors that are directionally aimed. I'm not really look to abandon or turn off those sorts of safety systems just to get a lift and tires.

Anyway, any of you have thoughts or experience building out a late model full size?

Treybiz

Observer
I'm curious what you find out.... I've only found one good thread on a lifted AWD yukon but it's really built for looks and not performance so it's not altogether helpful.

My wife has one and I'd like to take it over next year for my daily driver but I'd like to modify it to better suit my needs.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Superlift has a kit for it. It might not be listed on their site, call them. IIRC it's a mix and match of 2 different GM lift kits. You'll need a custom front drive shaft as well. $$$$$

I'm not sure how they get around the autoride shocks. Maybe they just use a shock extension? So you get a lift, but NO actual improvement in suspension travel. It's another example of high end models being worse for us than base models (got to be a women joke in there somewhere).

To the best of my knowledge, your best bet is fender flares and good tires. I haven't seen anyone succeed at modding the Yukon Denali yet. (I'm not a GM guy though)

I HAVE seen Denali 1500 AWD CCSB trucks lifted. But the front drive shaft fails immediately and start groaning and grinding. You need a custom double cardan front drive shaft fabbed up.

Last edited:
Seems like a terrible waist of money IMO. For less money you could build a much more capable and roomier 4x4 conversion van..........with front and rear lockers and a diesel! For the price of a new Yukon denali you can get a brand new Quigley conversion van, 6" coil over lift from weldtech, bigger tires, front and rear bumpers with winches.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a Jeep Wrangler that's pretty extensively modded for expo. It's the only vehicle I've built out (well, picked parts and paid people to build out . . . )
However, earlier this year I added to my garage a 2017 Yukon XL Denali (4WD). And of course, I can never leave well enough alone. Especially after seeing some of the Suburban builds on here. Then I saw David13's 2012 Yukon XL Denali build. See: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...on-xl-Denali-AWD-build?highlight=gmt-800+sale
Now I want to know to what extent I could build out a 2017 Yukon similarly.
Then I ran across some pictures of a late model lifted Yukon Denali on the Hennessey performance page . . . scroll to bottom of http://hennesseyperformance.com/veh...yukon-6-2l-v8-di-hpe650-supercharged-upgrade/
My initial questions surround whether there are more and more limits on modifications to newer vehicles that have so many nannies and governors lurking in the machine. For example, I think I was reading that some lifts will interfere with the Denali's magnetic ride system as well as the various automatic cruise control and other safety sensors that are directionally aimed. I'm not really look to abandon or turn off those sorts of safety systems just to get a lift and tires.
Anyway, any of you have thoughts or experience building out a late model full size?
With enough money and time you could build anything, I suppose. Just point the "money cannon" at your Yukon and pull the lanyard. ;)
moneycannon.jpg
The auto ride can be removed or bypassed, at least it could on earlier GMT800 and GMT900 trucks.
I'd check out the Tahoe/Yukon forum. They have sub-sections on each generation of vehicles so I would look in the K2XX (2015 + ) section. I know I have seen several lifted Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans so there is definitely stuff out there.
Here is the section that specifically deals with lifted trucks on the K2XX platform: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forums/lifted-supension-z71-4x4.118/

Tiki

Observer
SDHQ did a similar Escalade build up. I'd be on the phone with some of the good shops on the west coast.

TFS Destruction

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

So I now remember where I saw that there are complications with magneride with GMC Denali. BDS does a 6" lift kit for Denali trucks that does not disengage the magneride -- but have not yet developed it to cross over to the GMC full size SUV side. See this product announcement from last year -- and more importantly, their reply to the comment section that is asking this direct question.

http://bds-suspension.com/blog/?p=12731

A few key comments from BDS from October 2017:

"Like a mentioned in the previous comments the Magneride system is tied into several offer systems on these trucks (ABS and ESC) and GM doesn't allow it to be disabled so while the Magneride struts/shocks can physically be removed and replaced with FOX coilovers and struts, the truck won't be driveable if you do so. If you don't want Magneride then you'll want to stay away from the Denali and go for an optioned out GMC Sierra 1500."

and:

"Hey Johnathan, at this point we have not released any kits compatible for Magneride-equipped Chevy/GMC 1500 SUVs, only the trucks currently. Unfortunately (per company policy) I can't get into new product development topics until parts are on the shelf ready to ship, all I can say is that at this time we don't offer Magneride SUV kits."

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

So I now remember where I saw that there are complications with magneride with GMC Denali. BDS does a 6" lift kit for Denali trucks that does not disengage the magneride -- but have not yet developed it to cross over to the GMC full size SUV side. See this product announcement from last year -- and more importantly, their reply to the comment section that is asking this direct question.

http://bds-suspension.com/blog/?p=12731

A few key comments from BDS from October 2017:

"Like a mentioned in the previous comments the Magneride system is tied into several offer systems on these trucks (ABS and ESC) and GM doesn't allow it to be disabled so while the Magneride struts/shocks can physically be removed and replaced with FOX coilovers and struts, the truck won't be driveable if you do so. If you don't want Magneride then you'll want to stay away from the Denali and go for an optioned out GMC Sierra 1500."

and:

"Hey Johnathan, at this point we have not released any kits compatible for Magneride-equipped Chevy/GMC 1500 SUVs, only the trucks currently. Unfortunately (per company policy) I can't get into new product development topics until parts are on the shelf ready to ship, all I can say is that at this time we don't offer Magneride SUV kits."
Well, that's a shame but I suppose it's inevitable.
Between the electronic nannies that can't be removed or bypassed and the fact that they've apparently engineered the interior so that it's not possible to remove the 3rd row seat, nor to have a flat load deck, it seems like GM has decided that the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon platform is destined to be a body-on-frame station wagon rather than a "sport utility vehicle." All these changes pretty much remove any "utility" in favor of passenger comfort or safety.
I think what this means is that if you plan on putting on a lift, bigger tires or doing anything to increase off-road capability, you are pretty much stuck with a pickup. Which isn't terrible, I guess, but there are some people (like me) who prefer everything to be in a single cabin, rather than having a separate cab and cargo area.
OT but I keep seeing these new, square-bodied vans on the road. Dodge and Ford seem to be "all in" on the big square vans, haven't seen one from Chevy/GMC yet. I wonder how long before someone figures out how to do a 4wd conversion on one of those? Could be a viable option for those who like the all-in-one-enclosure design.

rayra

Expedition Leader
They've plainly chosen 'rapper / limo / car service' over 'utility' in the last two generations. That includes the hidden dash / stash compartment, sized to fit a handgun. That really started with the preceding generation, 2007-, when they stopped sharing parts with the pickup lines. Better buy up the 2006 models while we can. I bought the wrong end of the GMT800 series.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I suggested a 4x4 van. If your going to go big, get the biggest passenger vehicle on the road. Not much out there for Ford Transit or Dodge promaster vans yet, but there are a few options to lift GM express/savanna vans. Like the Nissan van as well, but only know of one company (advanced 4x4) that is lifting them and converting to 4x4. Much more inside room and capability than a suburban like SUV.

borison

Adventurer
They've plainly chosen 'rapper / limo / car service' over 'utility' in the last two generations. That includes the hidden dash / stash compartment, sized to fit a handgun. That really started with the preceding generation, 2007-, when they stopped sharing parts with the pickup lines. Better buy up the 2006 models while we can. I bought the wrong end of the GMT800 series.

******? I was not aware that GMC had chosen to persue the black and or wealthier market segments with a penchant for concealed weapons. This definitely changes things. I'll consider this when I shop our next SUV.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
******? I was not aware that GMC had chosen to persue the black and or wealthier market segments with a penchant for concealed weapons. This definitely changes things. I'll consider this when I shop our next SUV.

Mock it all you want, the Dash Stash exists. And it ain't for soccer moms.

2017-gmc-yukon-mov-interior-mm1-lightbox-960x640-06.jpg

borison

Adventurer
Mock it all you want, the Dash Stash exists. And it ain't for soccer moms.

2017-gmc-yukon-mov-interior-mm1-lightbox-960x640-06.jpg
How is this mocking? If you're saying that GMC is building rigs geared for minorities and women? My coworker told me the Yukon is the white man's Escalade. I support law abiding businesses who truly want to make America great again.

Last edited:

yota man

I can confirm that you can not lift the 2017 model year Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/XL equipped with the mag lev suspension. I recent left a job working for one of the GM certified upfitting companies. We were working with BDS and Fabtech to try to find a way to lift this trucks for some of our customers.

All attempts were done with suspension spacers but even those failed at 2”. The wires for all the sensors do not have enough slack built in and the sensors lack the ability to be rotated much without it sending the truck into safety mode. Sometimes you would hit even a tiny bump and it would cause the sensors to lock the brakes. That could only be remedied by disconnecting the battery long enough to reset the computer.

Any without the mag lev could be lifted with normal suspension lifts of spacers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan