2018 Subaru Crosstreks have arrived (2018=all new)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
We bought a 2017 Forester base model 2.5 primarily because it was still available with a stick shift. The comments about the fuel mapping is spot on about lack of power. The rev hang is several seconds and beyond annoy to the point of being almost dangerous IMO. It's so aggressive that if you let off the throttle with it in gear it will hold your speed during the hang like cruise control is still on.

We did not seriously consider the CVT but it's clear that Subaru has made the car in every way act like it has an automatic. Our is 90% Japanese content. Not sure if they have a different fuel map (which they do for WRXs with sticks), since I can't imagine drivers back in the motherland would tolerate the way it works.

The good side is we're averaging about 33 MPG so far in 7,000 miles and a recent trip between Ft Collins and Durango saw the MPG come ever so close to getting 36. We can drive 530 miles on a single 14.9 gallon fill up in theory (we've only gone ~400 at most). The MPG started going up significantly after the first oil change. Subie recommends 0W-20, which probably has something to do with it. I'm impressed with that and despite what the marketing material claim no automatic is going to touch that. The sticker for this car said 28 highway so the EPA MPG formula must really be jacked for sticks.

p nut

butter
On a recent trip. All highway (reset the MPG as soon as we were on the freeway), flat and 65 - 70mph. 2.5 CVT OB. Usually, it's around 32-33mpg. It was an anomaly. I also found the OBC to be quite accurate when I calculate the mpg manually.

IMG_7436.jpg

BobsCreek

Adventurer
The only thing I miss about my Crosstrek is the mpg. Sure don't miss the cheap interior, ice build up in the wheel wells, consuming oil, cracked windshield due to body flex or of course the chewing up of the right rear tire even with rotations at every oil change...

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'd bet more guts will be a long time coming. If it had more power, it might cannibalize Outback sales.
No it wouldnt. We have the modern larger OB and Grandma has the Xtrek the seating and gear space is dramatic. The crosstrek is a one man expo vehicle or small around town local family hauler. The OB fits a family of 4 with plenty of room for gear. Huge difference.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We bought a 2017 Forester base model 2.5 primarily because it was still available with a stick shift. The comments about the fuel mapping is spot on about lack of power. The rev hang is several seconds and beyond annoy to the point of being almost dangerous IMO. It's so aggressive that if you let off the throttle with it in gear it will hold your speed during the hang like cruise control is still on.

We did not seriously consider the CVT but it's clear that Subaru has made the car in every way act like it has an automatic. Our is 90% Japanese content. Not sure if they have a different fuel map (which they do for WRXs with sticks), since I can't imagine drivers back in the motherland would tolerate the way it works.

The good side is we're averaging about 33 MPG so far in 7,000 miles and a recent trip between Ft Collins and Durango saw the MPG come ever so close to getting 36. We can drive 530 miles on a single 14.9 gallon fill up in theory (we've only gone ~400 at most). The MPG started going up significantly after the first oil change. Subie recommends 0W-20, which probably has something to do with it. I'm impressed with that and despite what the marketing material claim no automatic is going to touch that. The sticker for this car said 28 highway so the EPA MPG formula must really be jacked for sticks.
Both our Subarus improved mileage up till about 25,000 miles from that point on it was 100% predictable. My old one started to see a slight mileage drop around 170,000 miles.

Our 2010 typically sees 1-2 trips a yr we run 500-530miles per 16gallon tank. Its really nice driving right by the high priced remote stations.

I think the slow throttle response on both sides is 100% emmissions related, given quick and large fuel load changes generate the heaviest emmissions. This is why we skipped on a 2nd Manual as we had a racing sailboat we launched on steep boat ramps. The old Subaru was a non issue even on very steep ramps. The empty non loaded 6spd on a steep hill we knew well, lugged and chugged as hard as my 01 did with a 2500lb trailer on the same hill. Which ment the new manual even just packed with passengers may be a no go on the same hill. And for sure would have been a fail with the boat. Power didnt come on till the new car chugged and lugged about a car length then it was like the nanny approved the power request and it was full grunt. Big fail for those of us in steep hill country and or tow trailers. The cvt now at 96,000 miles has been good and tows great.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ditto for Spokane, WA. AutoNation and Lithia.
Lithia is based in OR and just purchased our local family dealer 2yrs ago.They just held their grand opening of the 10million dollar new facility last month.

My 60,000 mile cvt drain fill with front and rear diff service at this facility was $180 cvt drain fill and diffs were $80 total. Done 3yrs ago. I called two months ago and was quoted $250 for the cvt drain fill and got a hard sell on a 90k service package for $1200 which didnt actually do anything but change oil and oddly included my cvt drain fil. I asked if they would honor my previous fair price for the 30min service and was told no. So I sent Subaru HQ a letter telling them my current Subaru was our last Subaru Due to their 3rd party Dealer network made servicing the Subaru more costly than my SLK 350 based on the new service model and pricing the Subaru dealer is using. Roughly $200-$250 an hour rate at the Subaru shop. I pay $180hr at a very good shop for everything but CVT service given I want that on Mother Subie if it craps out. All other stuff my local guy does.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Lithia really is garbage. The only dealerships I've ever had issues with, both for my Subaru (tradedin) and my current Chevy.

Expensive and lacking in quality

orangeTJ

Explorer
Autonation is full of crooks too. The Chevy dealer bashed in the rocker panel on my truck and didn't tell me about it. They sent me to their local body shop to get it fixed, and the body shop damaged the truck even more, and lied about it when I found that the entire right side of the truck bed had been repainted (to cover up the damage they did).

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Having recently driven both '17 Outback 2.5 Limited and 3.6R Limited, I don't mind the CVT so much especially in the 3.6R.

Subaru Subaru recently increased the CVT transmission warranty from 5 years/60k to 10 years/100k on 2010-2015 models. Shame they didn't do the same for head gaskets!

CVT Warranty Extension

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) is extending the New Car Limited Powertrain Warranty coverage for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) on the above listed models and model years from the original five (5) years or sixty thousand (60,000) miles (whichever comes first) to ten (10) years or one-hundred thousand (100,000) miles (whichever comes first). This change is not in response to any specific condition, rather it is to provide customers with added assurance regarding the function and overall performance of their CVT. Additionally, vehicles which are more than ten (10) years old or beyond one-hundred thousand (100,000) miles at the time customer notification letters are mailed are being offered additional coverage for a period of one-year from the date of the customer notification letters.

APPLICABILITY:
2010-15 Legacy/ Outback 2.5L NA CVT
2015 Legacy/ Outback 3.6L NA CVT
2012-15 Impreza 2.0L NA CVT
2013-15 Crosstrek 2.0L NA CVT
2014-15 Crosstrek Hybrid CVT
2014-15 Forester 2.5L NA CVT
2014-15 Forester 2.0L Turbo CVT
2015 WRX 2.0L Turbo CVT

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Having recently driven both '17 Outback 2.5 Limited and 3.6R Limited, I don't mind the CVT so much especially in the 3.6R.

Subaru Subaru recently increased the CVT transmission warranty from 5 years/60k to 10 years/100k on 2010-2015 models. Shame they didn't do the same for head gaskets!

The head gasket thing is way long ago delt with. My 01 was ********** dead center of that mess. Subaru fixed it zero cost to me at 62k ad it was still going strong well past 180,000 hard miles.
My 2010 EJ same engine but highly tweaked and perfected from the 01 EJ I had is a completely different beast.

The biggest cause of HG failures are people overheating them, prior to the new 2010 platform the old wedge body had very weak cooling /heat shedding ability and was easily cooked by people not paying attention to running temps.

Not only did Subaru extend the cvt warranty but all owners recieved a reimbursment form this was largely due to a bad batch of torque converters that would fail to unlock and stall the car at a stop. Dealers were ripping off customers telling them they needed a $6000 new cvt then replacing the $1500 torque converter and telling customers they installed a new cvt. Plus Subaru was getting parts supplier discounts on failed TQ converters and covering most if not all the replacement cost for customers who reported it to mother Subaru. However very few people realize dealers are not the same as the Auto Maker. So to eliminate this dealer rip off issue Subaru issued the extended warranty and the reimbursment form.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
When dealers do Warranty related work its done at a low prefix price / labor rate. Dealers hate warranty work because regardless of how long it takes their reimbursement is a fixed price. Not only that but if the dealer is big on "dealer service packages xxxx mile service etc" that tech time spent on warranty fix rate repairs costs them shop time that could be 500% mark up oil changes aka "suggested dealer service / mileage based packages"

If your local dealer pushes mileage based service packages really hard when you ask for an estimate for a spark plug service or brake fluid flush then your dealer is already addicted to the 500% mark up "Dealer Service" scam and may even say no we only offer a 60,000 mile service that includes x etc. Or they will quote you an obsured price for a simple service item. Such as $240 front and rear differential price that really has a fair service price of between $35-$40 per differential. Basically the dealer cant sell fairly priced service items without cutting into how many 500% mark up service package they can do per day etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior