2018 Subaru Crosstreks have arrived (2018=all new)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The reason this has become a very typical dealer practice is due to customers never bothering to ask questions, and also read their owner service manual that lists each thing that needs to be done at roughly x mileage. Oil changes at the dealer include a quick check of brakes and other systems at no cost. But you buy a say 15k service and you just paid $600 for the same oil change the guy next to you paid $80 for.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I just spent a few hours poking around at the local AutoNation Subie dealer. I hate AutoNation, even though the Subaru store people are decent.
They only offered a $619 discount on a new Crosstrek.

I drove an 18 and 17 back to back this afternoon.

Direct injection and 4 additional HP on the 18, plus improvements to the CVT make it have better acceleration going down a freeway on-ramp.
The 18 is quieter in the aspect of road noise and engine noise.

I don't mind hearing engine noise when driving my Duramax, because that is "music to my ears"... but I'd rather not hear a little 4 banger like I hear my Duramax.

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
The head gasket thing is way long ago delt with. My 01 was ********** dead center of that mess. Subaru fixed it zero cost to me at 62k ad it was still going strong well past 180,000 hard miles.
My 2010 EJ same engine but highly tweaked and perfected from the 01 EJ I had is a completely different beast.

The biggest cause of HG failures are people overheating them, prior to the new 2010 platform the old wedge body had very weak cooling /heat shedding ability and was easily cooked by people not paying attention to running temps.

Nope, the 08-12 still had issues even though the head gaskets were redesigned.

orangeTJ

Explorer
My gut says "NO, DON'T DO IT!!!" (with regard to buying a Crosstrek.)

I really need something that's more multi-purpose.

ADVSubaru

Observer
I had a Crosstrek (you can find the build thread in my signature). I don't think I'd buy another one ever again. It was a solid car while I owned it but it had no power and there is no interior room. Towing a trailer 1800 miles through the northeast and around Canada was an... interesting experience with the lack of oomph. If I were to get another Subaru again, it would most definitely be either an Outback or Forester.

On the other hand, while my manual '05 CR-V isn't as capable with its AWD system (I did put KO2's on it), it has MUCH more power and it has tons of room on the inside and hell, a fold-able table over the spare tire area. I have zero regret on replacing the Crosstrek with a 12 year old CRV.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My gut says "NO, DON'T DO IT!!!" (with regard to buying a Crosstrek.)

I really need something that's more multi-purpose.

Just put the OB, Forester on the list. Both offer better power and space. Though keep in mind the current Forester sits on the Impreza platform so its load rating is much lower than the larger Legacy/OB platform.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 10's head vs block interface is different. So no thats not true

Nor is the HG design comment correct. The big external leaky mess was all early 2.5s mainly due to a single layer gasket. That was adressed by using a multi layer gasket, but a large % of those cars overheated due yo no coolant before the owners attempted to have them fixed, causing far more damage and problems after the HG was replaced. There are plenty of other failures atributed to over heating or non true surfaces etc, much like the two HG failures my Toyota had, which cost 15x the cost to fix over the Subaru which never had another failure unlike my Toyota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior