2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
interesting. the 6.2 should have more than enough for a truck camper. I have a 2018 F250 gas and tow a huge, heavy Work and Play toyhauler all over the Colorado mountains. You just have to let her rev and it's all good.
If you expect it tow at 1800 rpm like a diesel, you will be disappointed, but it will do fine.

Thanks for this feedback!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Do you have a timeline on your flatbed build? Would love to see the progress.

Just heard back from Alum-line on some questions. I need to call him moving forward as his email replies are taking weeks. :( 8wk lead time to build.

Paredneck

Observer
My diesel is an 04. 220k and 37” BFG ATs. Boxes came on the bed with the truck. I’ll see if there is a name on them. I wish they were a little taller. 717DBA5F-2C24-4E08-9124-63E2353BF430.jpeg I get around 14mpg with the camper on. My gas truck averages 11-12 empty.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
My diesel is an 04. 220k and 37” BFG ATs. Boxes came on the bed with the truck. I’ll see if there is a name on them. I wish they were a little taller. View attachment 563397 I get around 14mpg with the camper on. My gas truck averages 11-12 empty.

And your 6.2L gas truck in the foreground, 2009 maybe? Tell me more about that since you say it sucks; how many miles, what size tires, what axle ratio/gears, what MPG are you seeing?

Paredneck

Observer
The gas is a 2011. Bone stock Bare bones XL. 65k it might be that I don’t keep the rpms enough when I’m use to the diesel just chugging along. The diesel is tuned and that could be the difference too. I bought the 2011 with the thought of putting the camper and flat bed on it. That’s why I got the Supercab long bed again but I just can’t make the switch.

mobydick 11

I found the SpaceKap build for you; https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/truck-utility-spacekap-to-camper-conversion.199313/

So you must have the 400W(max)/110V plug in the right center of dash too?
Thanks I had followed that build ,buddy did a great job with it. My cap is different then that, as I do not have the cab overhang . I use a gear trailer ,so my build is just for sleeping for two .built in port a potty . sink to wash up and dining table . it is a challenge to get all that in a 4 X 8 platform widens to 6 X 8 when you get up 24 inches . And no I don't have the inverter . If I had ordered the truck I would have gotten the 400 w, duel batteries and skid plates . But I saved 10 G off list by taking this one . Usually we don't get much off list on a 250/350 in my area . I do take pictures end of everyday , some day I will pay someone to post them for me.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have a slide in on a flat bed. I would live a side entry over the rear entry option. My ideal custom camper would be a rear dinette layout but with a full length bed box notched into the drivers side of the camper. A mix of both I guess. One day I’ll get around to building it.

my big concern is the 6.2 gas motor. Maybe there is something g wrong with mine but the power and fuel economy suck! No way I would ever take the flatbed and camper off my diesel and put it on my gas truck.

We have a 6.2 at my office. It has no problem running 75 while towing 8-10k, 4 adults in the cab, and 1000 pounds of crap in the bed.

I think the problem isn't your 6.2... it's you comparing it to a diesel...lol.

D

Deleted member 9101

The gas is a 2011. Bone stock Bare bones XL. 65k it might be that I don’t keep the rpms enough when I’m use to the diesel just chugging along.

Yes...the 6.2 likes to rev!!! While it has plenty of low end grunt... It's not anywhere like a newer diesel.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
FWIW - I have had both slide in and a flatbed camper on a flatbed. Both Hallmark. The slide in had 9'-6" floor and the new flatbed model is 8' long. There is so much more useable space and open floor on the 8' model you wouldn't think it was smaller. Having the side storage was great but it just meant I hauled more stuff. Maximize your under bed storage instead of giving up floor space in the camper. 5S your tools and gear to figure out what you really need to haul. Stick with the flatbed model.

Also, Hallmark vs. FWC pricing. I priced both before I purchased my Hallmark. By the time I got what I wanted they were pretty comperable and I honestly think the Hallmark is a more solid build with the fiberglass panels. (Lots of FWC fans here so I suspect I will catch some flack for that)

Solar: I recommend you talk to AM Solar in Springfield. They sold me some "seconds" panels that had very slight cosmetic flaws and they have worked very well. I also purchased Victron solar controller and BMS through them. I did Battle Born Lithium batteries and the system has worked extremely well. The other thing to watch if you choose to go to Li batteries is make sure that the charge controller in your camper is for Li and not Lead batteries. It will make a big difference in how much charge you get when you are plugged in to shore power.

Last but by far not least: Make sure you know the distance from the flatbed deck to the top of cab of your truck. It will be different than a pickup bed since there is structure to the flatbed and you may or may not have a hump in the chassis. It may be that a pickup bed sits lower than your flatbed so you can have some room between the cab roof and the bottom of the camper overhang if its sized for a pickup. Hallmark has that dialed in and have created extra storage under the mattress to utilize that space.

ps. Before you hand that cash over on what ever flatbed you purchase pull a tape from corner to corner and make sure its square and the sides are parallel. Don't ask me why...just do it.

Last edited:

con kso

Adventurer
Not sure if thats for me, or the OP. If directed to me... ****... i dont even have a timeline of when the truck is going to arrive! :)
Heck yeah... applies to both of you crazy builders... I gotta live vicariously through you guys since my building days are done (I just fix stuff that breaks now)... love watching them come together, I learn a lot and will poach good ideas.

con kso

Adventurer
FWIW - I have had both slide in and a flatbed camper on a flatbed. Both Hallmark. The slide in had 9'-6" floor and the new flatbed model is 8' long. There is so much more useable space and open floor on the 8' model you wouldn't think it was smaller. Having the side storage was great but it just meant I hauled more stuff. Maximize your under bed storage instead of giving up floor space in the camper. 5S your tools and gear to figure out what you really need to haul. Stick with the flatbed model.

Also, Hallmark vs. FWC pricing. I priced both before I purchased my Hallmark. By the time I got what I wanted they were pretty comperable and I honestly think the Hallmark is a more solid build with the fiberglass panels. (Lots of FWC fans here so I suspect I will catch some flack for that)

Solar: I recommend you talk to AM Solar in Springfield. They sold me some "seconds" panels that had very slight cosmetic flaws and they have worked very well. I also purchased Victron solar controller and BMS through them. I did Battle Born Lithium batteries and the system has worked extremely well. The other thing to watch if you choose to go to Li batteries is make sure that the charge controller in your camper is for Li and not Lead batteries. It will make a big difference in how much charge you get when you are plugged in to shore power.

Last but by far not least: Make sure you know the distance from the flatbed deck to the top of cab of your truck. It will be different than a pickup bed since there is structure to the flatbed and you may or may not have a hump in the chassis. It may be that a pickup bed sits lower than your flatbed so you can have some room between the cab roof and the bottom of the camper overhang if its sized for a pickup. Hallmark has that dialed in and have created extra storage under the mattress to utilize that space.

ps. Before you hand that cash over on what ever flatbed you purchase pull a tape from corner to corner and make sure its square and the sides are parallel. Don't ask me why...just do it.
I own a FWC Hawk flatbed - and I really, really liked the Hallmark flatbed... it was just too expensive for me. My flatbed camper was 37k out the door with all the options that I wanted... the Hallmark version was easily past 50k. It was just too much for even this foolish spender. I also wanted a builder that was relatively close, had a big following and seemed to be constantly evaluating and upgrading. But really, in the end, I just couldn't afford Hallmark so it was FWC for me. I'm happy with it. I beat the ******** out of it.

con kso

Adventurer
Could be but it’s enough to never want the gas version again lol
Do you have the "legendary" 7.3L diesel? I bought a brand new one in 2003, the last year of them- supposedly all figured out and bullet proof. Except it destroyed an alternator and left me stranded on the beach in Pismo two years into owning it and I had to drive around with a Cam Positioning Sensor and a 10mm wrench in the glove box (which I actually used to fix a stranded 7.3L here at the beach)... yes, it was ************** to start it up and hear it clatter like a Panzer division - but I never pulled anything and I never saw more than 14mpg hand calculated and I got tired of expensive oil changes and more expensive fuel so I sold it to a contractor friend of mine and actually broke even on the purchase price! I will say this, the mystique of those things, however misguided, helped them keep their value.

rruff

Explorer
FWIW - I have had both slide in and a flatbed camper on a flatbed. Both Hallmark.

A question for the flatbed owners; do you have some kind of pivot or flex mount between the flatbed and frame? If not, is there a way to accommodate flex between the flatbed and camper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears