2019 Power Wagon Build

Did you paint the salta caps? I was getting ready to order some saltas since i bent one of my OEM rims. That would look sweet on my red truck. Onyx finish on the rims?

PeteEinMT

Observer
I painted them with Plastic Dip. Well see how they hold up. I color matched them to Granite Crystal so pretty close to Onyx

PeteEinMT

Observer
I have about 2,000 miles now and just towed a decent load for the first time. I will say I am really happy with the transmission. It doesn't seem to hunt for gears and tows smooth. I played with tow haul some and since this load wasn't super heavy it didn't seem to make a difference. I did order airbags when I got home with daystar cradles. I could feel the lightness of the front end and want to keep the headlights level. Gripes so far. Gas mileage still sucks in these so unless I get better as it breaks in I was lucky to get 9 towing. Lower console cup holders, not sure why they did away with this. Gas tank could be bigger. Other than that we were happy Hit some pretty bad roads as it had been raining but thats the extreme of it for now.

Attachments

• IMG_2625.JPG
    IMG_2625.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 112

Halligan

Adventurer
My guess on the lack of lower cup holders is it was ultimately a cost saving decision. However, I bet if you asked the person who authorized the said cost saving measure about why it was done, the "corporate line" would be because the PW has a center seat cushion and seat belt so they decided to give the center passenger an actual place to rest there feet when riding there.

I like my console and use the cup holders daily so losing them would suck. Overall though I have some 2019 PW envy.......

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I love the truck @PeteEinMT and look forward to watching where this build goes.

It's silly but we miss the multitude of cup holders that were in our PW almost daily, it's the most talked about feature we reminisce over haha. I love the new redesign/facelift on the PW's, the missing cup holders suck and I am not a fan of the odd handle looking pocket molds on top of the fender flares either. Other than that though the truck looks great and I'd be lying if I said we weren't considering one for our next truck likely coming later this year. Part of me wants to go back to a Super Duty diesel or a Ram diesel for towing ability and part of me loves everything about the PW. It's the gasser in the PW and it's limited towing abilities that give me pause and in the same breath it's the lack of a manual t-case shifter, front locker, winch, and better suspension that make me question my decision to get back into a diesel. I need to work this out in the coming months but the 2019/20 PW is a strong contender.

PeteEinMT

Observer
I looked at the Fords just so I felt I did my due diligence. Less features for more money and they felt plasticky to me. Also by the time I did the mods I would want I'd really be more expensive. It tows fantastic its just the mileage but for me in cold weather I wanted Gas this time (I have a dually flatbed for towing so am biased needing another diesel) but even when I had my 15 Cummins the mileage wasn't that great!!! The nice thing with the facelift most all other existing parts still fit so your not waiting on everyone to roll out the new products (Like a topper) so when the next Gen comes out I'll look at that after they've been out for a year or two. Overall there is not another truck I would want that is out currently and with all the emphasis on the offload/overlanding segment we may see some good stuff in the next 5 years. What I would really want is a Power Wagon crew cab Ram Charger or a new similar capable Excursion. To me I'd take that over a truck and run that and a gladiator

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I looked at the Fords just so I felt I did my due diligence. Less features for more money and they felt plasticky to me. Also by the time I did the mods I would want I'd really be more expensive. It tows fantastic its just the mileage but for me in cold weather I wanted Gas this time (I have a dually flatbed for towing so am biased needing another diesel) but even when I had my 15 Cummins the mileage wasn't that great!!! The nice thing with the facelift most all other existing parts still fit so your not waiting on everyone to roll out the new products (Like a topper) so when the next Gen comes out I'll look at that after they've been out for a year or two. Overall there is not another truck I would want that is out currently and with all the emphasis on the offload/overlanding segment we may see some good stuff in the next 5 years. What I would really want is a Power Wagon crew cab Ram Charger or a new similar capable Excursion. To me I'd take that over a truck and run that and a gladiator

I've owned quite a few Ford's, the most recent was a 2017 Superduty F-250 King Ranch. I personally feel like the appointments in the Ford are nicer but at this moment in time that truck is a few years longer in the tooth and the Ram wins out in the interior design. If Overland style travel is the most important thing to the buyer then the PW is hard to beat, at least until the Ford Highboy comes out and people have the choice between a gasser and a diesel in the same platform, something Ram should have been doing all along but let's not beat that dead horse any longer. The facelift 2020 Superduty will be out in September so it'll be interesting to see what changes they've made.

A four door Ram Charger would be cool but seeing how Dodge has never done well in the SUV department I highly doubt we will ever see such a vehicle. A new Excursion would shoot to the op of my list, but again I just don't see it happening. I like the Gladiator but it doesn't give me anything that the 4Runner doesn't already have other than a front locker and a straight axle for more money and with more issues and less reliability. I have owned a few Wranglers in the past, they've always been Rubicons and I do love them especially off-road, but given their reliability track record, unless it's a third or fourth vehicle I don't see us buying one anytime soon. We are currently doing the two SUV's thing and I'll admit, we miss having a truck in the garage.

My purchase needs to be something that will carry two dirt bikes anywhere I want to go along with the misses and two large dogs and have the ability to pull a boat and a travel trailer when needed. Should we decide to buy a 35'+ toy hauler the gasser will be out of the question. The PW is the front runner at the moment, but that could change depending on how our needs change over the course of the rest of this year. I have been sniffing around at vans lately as well, I am a bit scatterbrained lol.

PeteEinMT

Observer
Im always on the quest for the perfect vehicle Had a 2016 Sprinter and sold it Great rig but lack of glow plugs and being able to plug it in made cold starts impossible at times. The new ones look more refined but still not convinced and with heavy winds it was white knuckle driving. Just sold our 16 LC. Handled and drove great but for the price it was lacking Technology is behind and cup holders sucked. I couldn't even turn the fan up without navigating through the screen.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Im always on the quest for the perfect vehicle Had a 2016 Sprinter and sold it Great rig but lack of glow plugs and being able to plug it in made cold starts impossible at times. The new ones look more refined but still not convinced and with heavy winds it was white knuckle driving. Just sold our 16 LC. Handled and drove great but for the price it was lacking Technology is behind and cup holders sucked. I couldn't even turn the fan up without navigating through the screen.

Haha we must be kindred spirits because we've owned or are interested in the same vehicles. We have a 2019 LX570 and I do hate the cup holders but I like that it has fan buttons on the center stack lol. The Sprinter has long been an interest in the Sportsmobile trim but I am aware of their mechanical issues and I can only imagine that they are a struggle to keep on the road in high winds especially if you have the high top version.

I need a truck, plain and simple, the LX can be our SUV and then eventually I can add a third fun vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle