battleaxe

Captain Obvious
What I personally expect / wish in the Tunda 2020 is

- New 8 or 10 speed
- a new rear suspension (like Ram)
- Rear locker on all trims
- Fuel management system
- 120V outlets in the bed and in the cabin
- Full time awd, like the TLC200, as an option for people who care less about towing big stuff.
- May be a diesel too.

More suggestions and wishes accepted

But why? Literally EVERYTHING on that list makes a Tundra more expensive, higher maintenance, and less reliable.

- Why re-engineer a transmission to have more gears, when it works just fine as is?
- Nothing wrong with leaf springs, I just don't see any logic or reason behind this
- Locker - Yeah I can get on board with that... OR, you could just pay for the locker when you buy the truck? (Or is it limited to specific trims?)
- What does a fuel management system even mean? Like... You just want data?
- Full time AWD - Buy a Subaru. Or a LTD 4Runner. Or a Lexus

The diesel will probably never happen. Which is fine. You don't want it, you just think you do. Leave the diesels to the domestics.

bkg

Explorer
But why? Literally EVERYTHING on that list makes a Tundra more expensive, higher maintenance, and less reliable.

- Why re-engineer a transmission to have more gears, when it works just fine as is?
- Nothing wrong with leaf springs, I just don't see any logic or reason behind this
- Locker - Yeah I can get on board with that... OR, you could just pay for the locker when you buy the truck? (Or is it limited to specific trims?)
- What does a fuel management system even mean? Like... You just want data?
- Full time AWD - Buy a Subaru. Or a LTD 4Runner. Or a Lexus

The diesel will probably never happen. Which is fine. You don't want it, you just think you do. Leave the diesels to the domestics.

None of those things mean less reliability. They just don’t.

Clutch

<---Pass
LOL +1.

Seems funny there are a handful of guys pining for all these techno-gadgets and comfort features and the other side is pining for simple stripped down, roll up window, N/A diesel Cruiser pickup.

Although heated steering wheels are nice....

Would like to have a super trough chassis/drive train, but without the bloated machismo sheet metal. Really can't stand the "chest thumping" look of most of the new trucks. I am ok with Nav and blue tooth for my music. But would like to be able to hose out the interior, save the "soft touch" materials for luxury cars.

https://jalopnik.com/there-is-is-nothing-special-about-the-special-forces-ne-1694594128

Check out the payload 3000-4000 lbs. You know how many sets of golf clubs you could haul!?

https://www.navistardefense.com/Nav...erations_vehicle/special_operations_vehicle_b

635677949582717641-IMG-2212.jpg

Attachments

• 635677949582717641-IMG-2212.jpg
    635677949582717641-IMG-2212.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Would like to have a super trough chassis/drive train, but without the bloated machismo sheet metal. Really can't stand the "chest thumping" look of most of the new trucks. I am ok with Nav and blue tooth for my music. But would like to be able to hose out the interior, save the "soft touch" materials for luxury cars.

https://jalopnik.com/there-is-is-nothing-special-about-the-special-forces-ne-1694594128

Check out the payload 3000-4000 lbs. You know how many sets of golf clubs you could haul!?

https://www.navistardefense.com/Nav...erations_vehicle/special_operations_vehicle_b

View attachment 496858
I'm with you on new trucks.

Cool find, I've never seen that before. It's basically a medium duty truck wrapped in a light duty skin. Seems like there would be a market for that here in the US in agriculture or construction.....but at the $, may be easier to buy (4) F150's.

bkg

Explorer

View attachment 496858

Don’t be threatening to take away my a/c seats and heated steering wheel... ?

bkg

Explorer
Yeah that's fair. They make them unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.

Quite possibly. I’m sure people said that about EFI and going from a 3-speed to 4-speed trans... or central axle disconnect.

All are more complicated, but how many people would realistically “go back” to a truly non-complicated world? I think about putting locking hubs on my tacoma at least 1x month... but I use 4wd every time I drive it... convenience is nice, too.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm with you on new trucks.

Cool find, I've never seen that before. It's basically a medium duty truck wrapped in a light duty skin. Seems like there would be a market for that here in the US in agriculture or construction.....but at the $, may be easier to buy (4) F150's.

I like the more subdued look of the older trucks. It is comical of what they have become. Though the new Ranger and Colorado aren't bad.

Don't even want to know how much that Navistar is. Wonder what the payload would be if it didn't have armor and bullet proof glass.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I like the more subdued look of the older trucks. It is comical of what they have become.

Funny, I thought the newer / updated '18 F-150's looked more subdued / refined than the '15-'17 trucks. I prefer the newer front end to mine.

But yeah, for the most part newer trucks are all about how big a grill you can fit on the front. Actually.... I think that goes for most newer cars too.... (Ahem, Toyota / Lexus)

Yes, yes... I know... big grills are required to cool the 1,567 HP / 89,896 lbs / ft of torque we 'require' diesels to have nowadays....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears