2019 Tundra

nickw

Adventurer
Not really any different than driving a 3/4 ton gasser. I could easily get away with one, but I absolutely prefer the diesel for the times when I am towing... peace of mind-n-stuff.
As long as it's rated to tow it....how does a diesel help with piece of mind?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Not really any different than driving a 3/4 ton gasser. I could easily get away with one, but I absolutely prefer the diesel for the times when I am towing... peace of mind-n-stuff.

Yeah... To be fair, I knew what the answer was before I even asked.

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
why the Tacoma never got the 4.7/4.6 V8. Would solve all of the under powered complaints it gets. And still get about the same mpg.

v8 in a 2nd gen... I'd love that. But they didn't because they didn't need to... it would have likely scavenged Tundra sales.

bkg

Explorer
As long as it's rated to tow it....how does a diesel help with piece of mind?

I've towed ~7k lbs quite often across the country. Typically my xcab on an 18' 12k trailer.

I've towed with 03 Dodge Cummins, 04 Tundra, 06 Tundra, 11 Tundra CM, 06 Tundra, 15 Tundra, 16 F350 PowerStroke.

There is no comparison between my F350 and any of the Tundras. Much easier to tow with - easier to accelerate, safer braking, less movement when being passed by tractor-trailers or in wind, less struggle to get up hills or deal with traffic.

With the Tundra's, towing was what I call "active" driving... it took more concentration, more planning (for merging, etc)… So just because my Gen1 Tundra's were rated to tow the load, it's hard to say it did it with as much ease or confidence.

EDIT: One complaint about the Gen2 Tundra - tow-haul mode in the transmission. I overheated my 11 crewmax's transmission driving through Illinois... and struggled with my 15 for similar reasons... the tow-hall doesn't lock out 6th gear. Damn thing would hunt. So I ended up manually shifting and staying in 5th. Buddy has an 09 - has the same complaint. Fixing that would have made the towing experience easier in the CrewMax. I always towed in Drive on the gen1's... the 4.7 was happy @ 3k RPM's.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
I've towed ~7k lbs quite often across the country. Typically my xcab on an 18' 12k trailer.

I've towed with 03 Dodge Cummins, 04 Tundra, 06 Tundra, 11 Tundra CM, 06 Tundra, 15 Tundra, 16 F350 PowerStroke.

There is no comparison between my F350 and any of the Tundras. Much easier to tow with - easier to accelerate, safer braking, less movement when being passed by tractor-trailers or in wind, less struggle to get up hills or deal with traffic.

With the Tundra's, towing was what I call "active" driving... it took more concentration, more planning (for merging, etc)… So just because my Gen1 Tundra's were rated to tow the load, it's hard to say it did it with as much ease or confidence.

EDIT: One complaint about the Gen2 Tundra - tow-haul mode in the transmission. I overheated my 11 crewmax's transmission driving through Illinois... and struggled with my 15 for similar reasons... the tow-hall doesn't lock out 6th gear. Damn thing would hunt. So I ended up manually shifting and staying in 5th. Buddy has an 09 - has the same complaint. Fixing that would have made the towing experience easier in the CrewMax. I always towed in Drive on the gen1's... the 4.7 was happy @ 3k RPM's.
Gotcha - I was looking at it from a like for like perspective, what you are really alluding too is 1 ton vs 3/4 ton. I think comparing a gas F350 to a diesel F350, the only difference is going to be MPG and acceleration....

bkg

Explorer
Gotcha - I was looking at it from a like for like perspective, what you are really alluding too is 1 ton vs 3/4 ton. I think comparing a gas F350 to a diesel F350, the only difference is going to be MPG and acceleration....

True... Acceleration is nice to have... All depends on the load, too.

Clutch

<---Pass
it would have likely scavenged Tundra sales.

Never could understand that thought process. Why would it matter if it pulled from one model within the brand, as long as it pulling sales from the competition.

In my business, rather loose a little money to myself, than loosing an entire sale to the guy down the road.

Isn't that what Ford thought, after discontinuing the Ranger, believed they could of pushed people into the F150 (yet people bought elsewhere)...and here they are bringing it back.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Never could understand that thought process. Why would it matter if it pulled from one model within the brand, as long as it pulling sales from the competition.

In my business, rather loose a little money to myself, than loosing an entire sale to the guy down the road.

Isn't that what Ford thought, after discontinuing the Ranger, believed they could of pushed people into the F150 (yet people bought elsewhere)...and here they are bringing it back.

Good points... but... remember that Toyota was trying to break into the “full size” market at the time. V8 in the Tacoma would have likely complicated that effort.

Ford shuttered the ranger because sales sucked. Now, things are different. Things are cyclical...

Drove through a ford dealer yesterday looking at dually trucks. Why? Cause.. compensating... saw a ranger. Was nice looking rig. Much nicer than my 83 or 93... I’ve owned too many vehicles.

Clutch

<---Pass
Good points... but... remember that Toyota was trying to break into the “full size” market at the time. V8 in the Tacoma would have likely complicated that effort.

Ford shuttered the ranger because sales sucked. Now, things are different. Things are cyclical...

Drove through a ford dealer yesterday looking at dually trucks. Why? Cause.. compensating... saw a ranger. Was nice looking rig. Much nicer than my 83 or 93... I’ve owned too many vehicles.

True on the "full size" thing. And then again the 4Runner was offered with it, and the 4Runner is derived from the pickup. Just never made sense to me to offer it the midsize SUV and not the midsize pickup.

Ranger sales sucked because they refused to update it...of course some how not updating works for Toyota, go figure. :unsure:

You're as bad as my buddy, every time I turn around he is buying a new car or truck. Having to mess around dealers that much would drive me nuts. Between him and his wife, it is at least once a year for vehicles...few times a year with motorcycles.

bkg

Explorer
True on the "full size" thing. And then again the 4Runner was offered with it, and the 4Runner is derived from the pickup. Just never made sense to me to offer it the midsize SUV and not the midsize pickup.

Ranger sales sucked because they refused to update it...of course some how not updating works for Toyota, go figure. :unsure:

You're as bad as my buddy, every time I turn around he is buying a new car or truck. Having to mess around dealers that much would drive me nuts. Between him and his wife, it is at least once a year for vehicles...few times a year with motorcycles.

I’ve only owned 55-ish vehicles. Including ones I’ve parted. I have commitment and boredom issues.

Haven’t sold one in over 2 years now... I’m turning a new leaf.

Good point on the 4Runner... especially given the sequoia was available then. Now I’m not sure. A Tacoma with a v8 would have sold well... especially considering how many super chargers were sold...

A ‘12-15 CCSB tacoma with a v8... I’m all Bothered just thinking about it....

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
But why? Literally EVERYTHING on that list makes a Tundra more expensive, higher maintenance, and less reliable.

- Why re-engineer a transmission to have more gears, when it works just fine as is?
- Nothing wrong with leaf springs, I just don't see any logic or reason behind this
- Locker - Yeah I can get on board with that... OR, you could just pay for the locker when you buy the truck? (Or is it limited to specific trims?)
- What does a fuel management system even mean? Like... You just want data?
- Full time AWD - Buy a Subaru. Or a LTD 4Runner. Or a Lexus

The diesel will probably never happen. Which is fine. You don't want it, you just think you do. Leave the diesels to the domestics.

Well... All these items you have listed are available on the TLC 200, apart the leafs, which I agree may not be super important to update.
The 10 speed means better gearing and better gear ratios. The new RAM 2500 wagon has the grear boax replaced with the new 10 speed. As a result its crawl ratio drastically increased.
Primitive is not simplicity.
My wish is the tundra to be more closely related to the TLC 200 than to Amy Schumer of SUVs - The Sequoia

Clutch

<---Pass
I’ve only owned 55-ish vehicles. Including ones I’ve parted. I have commitment and boredom issues.

Haven’t sold one in over 2 years now... I’m turning a new leaf.

Good point on the 4Runner... especially given the sequoia was available then. Now I’m not sure. A Tacoma with a v8 would have sold well... especially considering how many super chargers were sold...

A ‘12-15 CCSB tacoma with a v8... I’m all Bothered just thinking about it....

Not even sure how many construction vehicles we owned, but those were all business owned.

I have only owned 8 personal vehicles, and two of those my wife drove. I get bored, just don't act on it.

Guys are always complaining how under powered the Tacoma is...would assume they would of sold like hotcakes. Oh well...will never happen.

bkg

Explorer
Not even sure how many construction vehicles we owned, but those were all business owned.

I have only owned 8 personal vehicles, and two of those my wife drove. I get bored, just don't act on it.

Guys are always complaining how under powered the Tacoma is...would assume they would of sold like hotcakes. Oh well...will never happen.

You are smarter than I. It’s taken me a while to grow up re: transportation. My wife has owned 3 vehicles in her young 42 years. Plus one of mine that she drove for two years. I admire her for that... she’s starting to balance me a bit .?

Clutch

<---Pass
You are smarter than I. It’s taken me a while to grow up re: transportation. My wife has owned 3 vehicles in her young 42 years. Plus one of mine that she drove for two years. I admire her for that... she’s starting to balance me a bit .?

For how much I am a gear-head, you would think I would of owned more. I just hate spending money is what it comes down to.

Mine could care less about cars...though she does have a fondness for aircooled VW's. She is more of a retro-grouch than me.

rruff

Explorer
A Tacoma with a v8 would have sold well... especially considering how many super chargers were sold...

Probably, but IMO things have gotten silly. The right amount of power and acceleration is always MORE. I drove a '84 with a 2.4l for a lot of years, carrying a load. What was it, 120hp? It got around well enough. My Tundra rarely gets off idle. All those horses that aren't being used still need to be fed... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan