2019 Tundra

nickw

Adventurer
Quite possibly. I’m sure people said that about EFI and going from a 3-speed to 4-speed trans... or central axle disconnect.

All are more complicated, but how many people would realistically “go back” to a truly non-complicated world? I think about putting locking hubs on my tacoma at least 1x month... but I use 4wd every time I drive it... convenience is nice, too.
I had the same thought on my 01' Tacoma. I wanted the ones with the red dials because it looked old school. Leave the suckers locked, not going to hurt anything, particularly if you use 4wd that often.

nickw

Adventurer
Funny, I thought the newer / updated '18 F-150's looked more subdued / refined than the '15-'17 trucks. I prefer the newer front end to mine.

But yeah, for the most part newer trucks are all about how big a grill you can fit on the front. Actually.... I think that goes for most newer cars too.... (Ahem, Toyota / Lexus)

Yes, yes... I know... big grills are required to cool the 1,567 HP / 89,896 lbs / ft of torque we 'require' diesels to have nowadays....
The diesel wars, just like the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's...it's ridiculous. But judging by the amount of toy haulers and enormous 5th wheels I see, maybe folks need rigs like that....or maybe it's the other way around.

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny, I thought the newer / updated '18 F-150's looked more subdued / refined than the '15-'17 trucks. I prefer the newer front end to mine.

But yeah, for the most part newer trucks are all about how big a grill you can fit on the front. Actually.... I think that goes for most newer cars too.... (Ahem, Toyota / Lexus)

The new F150's aren't half bad, same with the new 1500 Rams...toned them down a bit. I still find the Tundras and 3rd Gen Tacomas hard to look at. Two of my neighbors have brand Tundras, they look ridiculous to me.

Yes, yes... I know... big grills are required to cool the 1,567 HP / 89,896 lbs / ft of torque we 'require' diesels to have nowadays...

Ha ha! Wonder when it is going to stop? :D

nickw

Adventurer
I like the more subdued look of the older trucks. It is comical of what they have become. Though the new Ranger and Colorado aren't bad.

Don't even want to know how much that Navistar is. Wonder what the payload would be if it didn't have armor and bullet proof glass.
I really like the new Rangers, which I why I bought one, even knowing it will apparently be redesigned in 3 years. I'm concerned it too will grow in size or become more US focused and lose some of it's global charm. It has all the bells and whistles inside, but still retains a somewhat utilitarian exterior.

I think in general Ford does this better than Chrysler or GM, a stripped down XL Ford is a pretty workhorse / utilitarian looking rig.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The new F150's aren't half bad, same with the new 1500 Rams...toned them down a bit. I still find the Tundras and 3rd Gen Tacomas hard to look at. Two of my neighbors have brand Tundras, they look ridiculous to me./QUOTE]

i see Toyota released a teaser image of an updated 2020 Tacoma. I wonder what changes we'll see? I think it said something about new headlights. Maybe the grill and drive train might be updated?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26078536/toyota-tacoma-pickup-confirmed-2020/

2020-tacoma-teaser-da93ba7c70e78264fd01c74a473243d64b78e520-low-1548792472.jpg

nickw

Adventurer
Maybe the 5th wheel / toy hauler crowd just needs to skip 1 tons all together, lol

View attachment 496886

View attachment 496887

View attachment 496888
I wonder what other countries think when they see this? Funny side story, I worked with a guy that relocated from London. We went someplace together and I picked him up in my 01' Tacoma, 32's, 2" lift and he was blown away by how big it was and asked what the fascination was with Americans and their "Lorry's". This was 10+ years ago, things have only spiraled more out of control :)

Can get a used one cheaper than a current 1-ton though!:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/spokane-2014-kenworth-semi-trucks/6787169357.html

Nevermind maintenance of replacing 18 tires....

Clutch

<---Pass
Maybe the 5th wheel / toy hauler crowd just needs to skip 1 tons all together, lol

View attachment 496887

Best friend in high school dad had one of those old Macks. Had something like 3 Million miles on it.

Those guys just need to break down and get a lil' big rig. :D

landscape-1454702189-lil-big-rig-1-600x450.jpg

I really like the new Rangers, which I why I bought one, even knowing it will apparently be redesigned in 3 years. I'm concerned it too will grow in size or become more US focused and lose some of it's global charm. It has all the bells and whistles inside, but still retains a somewhat utilitarian exterior.

I think in general Ford does this better than Chrysler or GM, a stripped down XL Ford is a pretty workhorse / utilitarian looking rig.

Was watching a Ranger vs Tacoma comparison yesterday. Ranger seems to be about the Goldie-Locks. 300ish ft/ lbs of tq is about right for that size of truck. Like the 1st gen Tundra, which was around 315, not under powered, not too much....just riiiiiight. Wondered why the Tacoma never got the 4.7/4.6 V8. Would solve all of the under powered complaints it gets. And still get about the same mpg.

Like that XL package. Prefer the under the radar looks of it over the Tacoma.

dqh-numwsae7gkj-jpg.579

2020 Tacoma

Sounds like new headlights, power seats, maybe new bigger informant screen.....and wait for it.

BOLD NEW GRAPHICS

...maybe they kill off the manual trans too.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Best friend in high school dad had one of those old Macks. Had something like 3 Million miles on it.

Was watching a Ranger vs Tacoma comparison yesterday. Ranger seems to be about the Goldie-Locks. 300ish ft/ lbs of tq is about right for that size of truck. Like the 1st gen Tundra, which was around 315, not under powered, not too much....just riiiiiight. Wondered why the Tacoma never got the 4.7/4.6 V8. Would solve all of the under powered complaints it gets. And still get about the same mpg.

Like that XL package. Prefer the under the radar looks of it over the Tacoma.

dqh-numwsae7gkj-jpg.579

Sounds like new headlights, power seats, maybe new bigger informant screen.....and wait for it.

BOLD NEW GRAPHICS

It's a sweet engine, lots of torque. It's a good package, it may not have the best specs in each an every category, but ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Yeah, looks like a Hilux. Throw some 235/85's on that and a 1" lift....your set. I'm actually really liking those steel wheels, I may need to get a set for winter.....

*Edit - not that I'm one to start tuning rigs, but the 2.3 Ecoboost has a lot of potential from simple tunes + intake tweaks vs adding superchargers and the like, here is a mustang.

1548873921760.png

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
It's a sweet engine, lots of torque. It's a good package, it may not have the best specs in each an every category, but ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Yeah, looks like a Hilux. Throw some 235/85's on that and a 1" lift....your set. I'm actually really liking those steel wheels, I may need to get a set for winter.....

*Edit - not that I'm one to start tuning rigs, but the 2.3 Ecoboost has a lot of potential from simple tunes + intake tweaks vs adding superchargers and the like, here is a mustang.

View attachment 496898

Really comes down to splitting hairs over the Tacoma, each has their pluses and minus. The toned down looks and more TQ of the Ranger would have me lean towards the Ford. But the available manual trans and Toyota known reliability would have me lean the other way. (my Tacoma is getting close to 400K)

Not much into tuning either, but a lot more potential than the Taco.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
The diesel wars, just like the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's...it's ridiculous. But judging by the amount of toy haulers and enormous 5th wheels I see, maybe folks need rigs like that....or maybe it's the other way around.

There's a bunch of dudes at work with one tons. I asked the question one day how big their 5th wheels were... I kid you not, THREE of them all admitted that they didn't have a trailer, or haul anything ever.

Buy a frickin diesel VW then...

bkg

Explorer
Ha ha!

Ya know...I tend to run hot, a/c seats don't sound half bad. :D

I have a buddy w/ an F150 with cooled seats... he always uses his remote starter and gets them cool before he jumps in... something about feeling great on a sweaty ****** after a workout...

bkg

Explorer
There's a bunch of dudes at work with one tons. I asked the question one day how big their 5th wheels were... I kid you not, THREE of them all admitted that they didn't have a trailer, or haul anything ever.

Buy a frickin diesel VW then...

Not really any different than driving a 3/4 ton gasser. I could easily get away with one, but I absolutely prefer the diesel for the times when I am towing... peace of mind-n-stuff.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a buddy w/ an F150 with cooled seats... he always uses his remote starter and gets them cool before he jumps in... something about feeling great on a sweaty ****** after a workout...

Nothing worse than plastic seat sweat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears