2021 Titan XD Pro-4X w/ Ovrlnd Camper

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
No build thread. Maybe I should start one. I've kept it very simple as I like to use my truck as a truck most of the time so the bed is kept empty with no permanent buildout. I'm using a couple of Dewalt tough system drawer boxes and some OAT bags for storage inside the camper, along with a simple drawer and a 12v fridge in the back seat area of the truck. It only takes me a few minutes to install or remove the set up which is nice. I have a Jackery 1000 that powers the Truma heater and MaxxAir fan in the Topper and have the usbs and auxillary amber lights in the topper wired directly to the trucks battery. It really works well for us and by leaving the bed fairly empty we have a nice comfortable chill out/cooking space in the lower part with some folding stadium seats and counter space and the upper portion left for sleeping. Everything used for our outdoor camp is pretty much stored in two other boxes so it's quick and easy to pull out when we get to camp. I'll have to get some better pics of the setup to post here to show the simple way I've done it. Here's a few not great photos of how it looks on the exterior.

Your Titan looks awesome. How do you like the suspension upgrade over the stock. I've had a few aftermarket suspensions in my past Toyotas but have hesitated to do anything with the Titan. I don't do any hard trails anymore so I've been happy with the stock set up to this point. But your truck looks so nice with a little extra height. I may have to shop around for something!
Great looking truck. Jealous of the yellow! Best of Titan colors and am bummed they stopped offering it. After 3 silver SUVs I wanted something bright and the red alert red was the best available for the 2020s.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Do you happen to have any pics of the propane bottle cabinet you built? Looking at installing a propex in my OVRLND and saw your mention of this in another thread.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
What options did you get on the camper? Is there anything you would add or delete?

really well done rig

I got the vinyl windows in the top, barn doors, and a side hatch on the passenger side. I wish I would have had roof rails installed by ovrlnd along with the fan just for ease. I might add a small arctic tern window to the side hatch for the dogs. It's about perfect for my use. I could see skipping the barn doors on the next one but otherwise would build it the same.

I added a fan myself along with solar (275w), a home built 144Ah LiFePO4 battery, renogy dual charger controller, propex hs2000 heater, domestic fridge, bed rug, insulation, hella marine interior lighting plus a few other things.

Thanks for the compliment.

It's an excellent set up. The truck, suspension, and camper work excellent as a combo and it's awesome having it ready to all the time even for just small day trips. Every set up is a compromise but this works great for us especially for the overall cost.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Just wanted to say hello and thanks to the other one or two Titan fans in this forum.
Love that red king cab Mr. Mcgee. Wishing you many happy miles.
Just picked up my 2nd and 3rd Titans
A platinum reserve shorty for the Mrs. and an XD for myself. Probably won’t do much to them as camping needs are covered between moto and a cargo trailer slowly being converted.
I’ll let you know if skipping the P4X was a mistake or not. I never did like that it only worked in 4low…but it definitely did work in 4low. If I do make any notable changes, I’ll get a thread going. Until then, keep posting about yours!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Moving back to OR from CO and have driven back and forth a couple times in the last month. First trip out with the xt225 on the hitch, my wife, my dog, and a loaded up camper it pulled 16.5 mpg. Driving back again with a loaded truck, my dog, loaded camper, and 4x8 trailer loaded down it pulled 16 mpg. I also spent 13 hours in the drivers seat without any fatigue.

These are crazy good trucks!

plumber mike

Adventurer
Did I see you on Facebook asking about an XD? I definitely saw your truck. I love mine. I love my wife’s shorty Titan too, but it’s definitely not as capable as a truck. I haven’t done a thing to them, except remove the Titan boxes and under seat storage boxes. Both were kinda goofy and impractical for my use. Sounds like, sadly, if you want one you’d better get it before summer 2024.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Yep!

I think I will be holding out until more Tacoma details come out. Especially payload for the offroad double cab hybrid 6' bed. Otherwise I think I will pick up an XD Pro4x or just stick with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179