2021 Titan XD Pro-4X w/ Ovrlnd Camper

dstefan

Yep!

I think I will be holding out until more Tacoma details come out. Especially payload for the offroad double cab hybrid 6' bed. Otherwise I think I will pick up an XD Pro4x or just stick with this.
So, I know you’ve really loved your Titan from reading your posts. I’m just curious what’s prompting you to want to move from that platform so soon?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Kinda interested in doing a flat bed and also having doors for the back seat. Also carrying a motorcycle on a hitch hauler and occasionally could use a bit more payload. Also put over 30k miles on the truck since I bought it and the truck value is still at a good point so it might make sense.

Reality is I will likely just keep with this truck ha but the XD prices might be tempting enough to grab one before they're gone. Just kinda huge.

dstefan

I get it. I was kinda interested in the XDs myself, but then found out they discontinued the King Cab 139” wheelbase model.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
the XD prices might be tempting enough to grab one before they're gone. Just kinda huge.

Will the XD being discontinued not make the service harder in future? Parts, warranties, etc.
How does this get sorted out?
I am curious to know as well. I always liked the XD, although some say the 5.6 V8 might not be enough for them. Is this true?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Will the XD being discontinued not make the service harder in future? Parts, warranties, etc.
I am curious to know as well. I always liked the XD, although some say the 5.6 V8 might not be enough for them. Is this true?
It shouldn't. Federal law mandates parts availability for 10 years and Nissan is still providing a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Reality is Ford, Chevy, Ram all redesign their trucks constantly and therefor the truck as it exisits is basically discontinued. Even the Tundra is completely new...

Folks are really struggling to get warranty repairs and parts on their current or two year old Fords so I have zero issue with buying another Titan.

As for the power, 400hp and 413ftlb tq seems like plenty to me in my regular Titan. Just towed a 5x8 trailer loaded relatively heavy with the camper on and also loaded down with stuff over 1,000 miles from CO to OR. Truck had zero issue running in top gear cruising along at interstate speeds and this engine has a nice flat torque curve. Even managed 16mpg with e load all terrains, the camper, trailer, and lift. I find it pretty impressive given what I see unloaded midsized trucks get and it indicates to me a low stressed drivetrain.

The XD has a little bit lower gearing to help with the larger towing capacity and heavier package. Starting to lean towards picking one up....some are starting to be 8-12k off sticker with 0% financing which puts them in a pretty awesome bells and whistles vs price category.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The XD has a little bit lower gearing to help with the larger towing capacity and heavier package. Starting to lean towards picking one up....some are starting to be 8-12k off sticker with 0% financing which puts them in a pretty awesome bells and whistles vs price category.

This is what’s so intriguing. In my area, you can find a bright new Titan XD SV for the same price (or very close) as Honda Ridgeline.
I don’t think Honda Ridgeline a bad truck but it’s far behind the Titan XD for the truck things.
And 5 years of warranty is not something you can just overlook.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
This is what’s so intriguing. In my area, you can find a bright new Titan XD SV for the same price (or very close) as Honda Ridgeline.
I don’t think Honda Ridgeline a bad truck but it’s far behind the Titan XD for the truck things.
And 5 years of warranty is not something you can just overlook.
Yep. If more folks actually drove one and poked around the under carriage etc they would likely end up buying one. Everyone complains about complicated trucks loosing a simple V8 but then no one buys the truck that does what they say they want. Consumer psychology is weird ha.

01tundra

Explorer
I can still buy parts for my '03 Tacoma just about anywhere - aftermarket, dealership, etc.

Same situation with 2nd Gen Tundra, I'm fairly certain that nothing from the 3rd Gen will swap over (which is probably good news for second Gen owners.....but that's a completely different topic).

There's many vehicles that have been discontinued, but parts can still be sourced.

And it's not the just the XD being discontinued, it's the entire Titan lineup after 2024 from what I've read.

My Titan is strong and tows our travel trailer with ease, there's nothing underpowered about it.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
When it comes to the Titan and the Titan XD,
Why would someone get an XD over a regula Titan?
I understand there is a size and probably towing difference but what are the benefits you would get from an XD.

Some say that if one needs a larger truck he might as well get a 3/4 or 1 ton track…
I am skeptical of this reasoning but this what the reviews (like FL trucks) say.

Wyo37

I bought my titan xd to pull a camper. It does that well. If I didn't tow, a regular titan would be fine.

I like it much more than the five or six tacomas I've owned.

01tundra

Explorer
When it comes to the Titan and the Titan XD,
Why would someone get an XD over a regula Titan?
I understand there is a size and probably towing difference but what are the benefits you would get from an XD.

Some say that if one needs a larger truck he might as well get a 3/4 or 1 ton track…
I am skeptical of this reasoning but this what the reviews (like FL trucks) say.
I traded in my '17 2500HD Denali Duramax on the XD.

The XD has good payload and built heavy duty, yet drives more like a 1/2-ton when not towing.

For us, it's the perfect sweet spot between 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton for our trailer.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
As for the power, 400hp and 413ftlb tq seems like plenty to me in my regular Titan. Just towed a 5x8 trailer loaded relatively heavy with the camper on and also loaded down with stuff over 1,000 miles from CO to OR. Truck had zero issue running in top gear cruising along at interstate speeds and this engine has a nice flat torque curve. Even managed 16mpg with e load all terrains, the camper, trailer, and lift. I find it pretty impressive given what I see unloaded midsized trucks get and it indicates to me a low stressed drivetrain.
The VK56VD + 7-speed is a rad setup. It's got a lot more personality than the other brands combo IMO, and responds nicely to spirited driving. I was shopping Coyote + 6-speed F150's recently, and came back disappointed and decided I'll just keep my QX56.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The VK56VD + 7-speed is a rad setup. It's got a lot more personality than the other brands combo IMO, and responds nicely to spirited driving. I was shopping Coyote + 6-speed F150's recently, and came back disappointed and decided I'll just keep my QX56.
Mine has a 9 speed. It's a great motor and trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger