2023 F350 Tremor Build "Gandalf the Grey"

Bigc3031

In the middle of Nov. 2023 I retired my F150 which I posted my build here previously. It was an amazing truck but with almost 250k on the odometer almost always fully loaded and has been properly off roaded it was tired. In 2022 I ordered an F350 Tremor and had the order cancelled as Ford couldn't make enough so I tried again on Oct. 27th of 2022 I placed another order and it finally arrived mid Nov. 2023.

I wanted a mostly stock truck that could handle everything I will give it without extreme mods that always seem to compromise ride quality or reliability/durability. I purchased a 2023 Ford F350 crew cab lariat ultimate tremor with the 7.3L gasser and warn winch. I not only use this for fun but also daily while operating my commercial and residential inspection company.

Plans for 2024 are to purchase an AT Overland Summit Topper(tax man says I've used up my write offs this year so I need to be patient) and dial in the camper set up with drawers, storage, etc. and most importantly hit the trail.

I'll post up mods as I go, I always appreciate comments, suggestions and feedback as we can all learn from each other.

One of the most important mods was to add a 12v cig adapter under the hood to light up the wreath and spread some cheer. Note the clean warn winch install and Factor 55 pro link. I also have a factor 55 shackle for the rear receiver and Weigh Safe adjustable ball hitch.
IMG_5803.JPEG

I added a Leer cover for temporary tool storage until the AT Summit gets installed. I also couldn't stand the fact that Ford put incandecent bulbs in the rear of the truck so I ordered LED replacements from Apollo Optics which have been great so far.
IMG_5805.JPEG

I installed Baja Designs Squadron Pros on the A pillar for Ditch lights and mounted them on SDHQ mounts which are just awesome. I also mounted a pair of Baja Designs S2 Pros under the rear bumper for reverse lights(these are wired into the stock reverse lights).
IMG_5802.JPEG

Simple shot of the temp tool storage. Millwaukee Packouts are pretty amazing if you need overlanding storage I'd give them a throught instead of the pricey custom stuff.
IMG_5807.JPEG

Built Right dash mount installed with In Reach, this will also house the screen for the future HAM, I haven't finalized which radio I'll get for this rig but it is leaning towards a Yaesu.
IMG_5799.JPEG

Bigc3031

I wanted a power solution for the new rig but couldn't find anything that fit the bill so I dove into the depths of the internet to learn about batteries and this is what I came up with.

I use Millwaukee Packouts for work and likely for overlanding storage to some extent. I love the modularity and durability. I chose the Large tool box to house my power system. The core is a Sun Fun Kits 300 amp hour Lifepo battery using EVE auto cells with heaters.
IMG_5808.JPEG

I installed a push and a pull high quality 120mm cpu fan on opporsite sides and contoll them thermostatically in the case to prevent overheating components.
IMG_5809.JPEG

On the left is a kill switch that cuts all power from the battery incase of failure, the Anderson plugs are as follows: Yellow for solar panels on the topper, Red is for DC/DC charging from truck and Grey is to power the truck topper. These all are fused and a breaker in the case of the solar panels.
IMG_5811.JPEG

The left plug is a hella plug dedicated for the National Luna 60 liter dual compartment/controlled smart Fridge. The panel to the right of it has 3 cigarette adapters all switched. I went this route instead of dedicated USB chargers because tech changes and I want this to be as universal as possible.
IMG_5812.JPEG

The system contains a Victron Smart Shunt connected to this Monitor and below it is the NOCO 120v plug to accept shore power.
IMG_5814.JPEG

This photo displays the solor charger on the left with the blue sea fuse box below it, center is the solar breaker with DC/DC charger below and to the right is the Shore power charger. All wiring has proper terminations and shrink wrap for performance, reliability and safety.
IMG_5815.JPEG

Image of 1 of 2 busbars used for power distribution.
IMG_5816.JPEG

Image of the front panel from inside the box, yes, most of the wiring if oversized which made it a little more difficult to work with but worth it in my book(plus I had most of it laying around)
IMG_5818.JPEG

Field replacable fuses were used throughout. All systems can be disconnected independantly with seperate fuses for safety.
IMG_5819.JPEG

Image of the Victron Smart Shunt during final assembly.
IMG_5820.JPEG

I also have a small packout box that holds spare fuses, adapters and cables for the power system. This has been a fun project!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Congrats, we have similar trucks so I know you’ve got to pumped because I know I am. I have the winch and Apollo rear leds sitting in the garage waiting to be installed, I need to get on that. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build come together.

Last edited:

Bigc3031

...and from farther away. We can't tell much by all the closeups.
I’ll definitely get some more pics asap. Thanks for the likes everyone!

I’ve taken in the woods on some solid trails but
Keep forgetting to stop and photo the rig.

The trail turn assist is a game changer for full size trail rigs. I thought it was going to be a gimmick but it’s awesome.

SimplyAnAdventure

Awesome truck!!!!

If you haven’t already swing over to the Ford Tremor forum and sign up over there too. A lot of cross over between people on here and the Tremor forum including at least 3 people commenting on this thread already. 😉

Tons of pages of info on Tremors and Offroad camping on here. I think you’re going to love your Tremor even more when you get your camper!

Bigc3031

Awesome truck!!!!

If you haven’t already swing over to the Ford Tremor forum and sign up over there too. A lot of cross over between people on here and the Tremor forum including at least 3 people commenting on this thread already. 😉

Tons of pages of info on Tremors and Offroad camping on here. I think you’re going to love your Tremor even more when you get your camper!
Awesome, will do. Thank for the link!

Bigc3031

IMG_3673.jpegIMG_3674.jpeg

Not a huge update but I had a local shop install a new fog light kit. As great as Ford’s LED headlights are, the fog lights stink. BMC makes a great, fairly stock looking retrofit kit. I chose a combo with Baja Designs S2 pros with wide cornering lens wired to the factory fog harness and Squadron Pros with the driving/wide combo lens wired to the upfitter switches on the cab. I ordered amber replacements(they were supposed to come that way but this was a slip up with the vendor). I prefer amber and find they work better for me.

The kit took the shop about 3 hours to install and likely would have taken me 5ish hours. The only downside to the sleek install is that you have to remove the trim to adjust the lights.

This system is great and blends in well. My only complaint is that the lights spread is slightly blocked on the inside edges due to being inset a bit. Minor issue and worth it in my opinion. I have to say the quality of build is top notch and the trim piece is OEM quality.

This with the ditch and reverse lights complete my exterior lighting system.

I placed the order for my ATO Atlas camper through Southern Overland Outfitters. Chad the owner has been awesome and an to drive down for the install around June/July. I can’t wait to get that cap not only for camping but also for daily use. ATO has been awesome to work with and we’re super fast to answer my technical questions.

The options I selected for my Atlas are as follows:
Pre wire for solar(no panel as I don’t think I’ll need it)
Aircraft track the length of the top but no rack
Max air 6200 fan located in the “C” location
Truma heater with passenger side exhaust and heater mounted in the front bulkhead
Driver side awning mount
Tern euro windows on both sides.

I may add an arctic insulation package later and I plan to build my own cabinets. I will also seal gaps and cracks after the cap install.

I am very interested in a cell booster but not sure what route I will take.

My next project will be to install my Yaesu FTM-300 HAM with MARS mod, external speaker and Larsen ant over the next couple of weeks.

Any ATO owners have mattress suggestions?

I’m also torn on the awning. I liked my previous Alucab Shadow 270 awning with the square back and stout build. I’m researching a replacements but may end up with another shadow.

Bigc3031

Nothing too crazy for this update. Yaesu FTM-300 with MARS Mod and a Larsen antenna on an NMO mount I modified to fit the truck.

Wiring will happen next week, no time for now. The Yeasu head unit has an odd sized threaded insert that no big company makes an adapter for RAM mounts. I tried a LIDO QR mount and it rattled like crazy and felt pretty cheap so
I tried a different one from them and modified it to match up with a RAM ball. The radio itself is in the lower glove compartment and will be wired to an upfitter switch. I’m also running a micro USB to the Garmin InReach for constant power. I’ll add a cigarette adapter to the glove compartment to power that soon.

My previous mobile HAM was an ICOM ID5100 which worked very well however the screen faded over time and was much larger. The new version looks a little better however the size would block too much of the windshield view with this truck.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpeg
    IMG_5058.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5057.jpeg
    IMG_5057.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5059.jpeg
    IMG_5059.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads