2023 F350 Tremor Build "Gandalf the Grey"

Bigc3031

Next step in prep for the ATO topper.

Today I sealed all of the seams, holes and around the bed lights then installed the bed rug. In the past I’ve had the traditional bed rug but this time tried the TPO version. I wish I would have gone full rug but this will work and likely be easier to clean.

I also mounted up the Builtrite extrusion to the bulkhead of the bed. I have MOLLE panels for that as well as the bed sides on the way. I had these on my last truck but wasn’t sure I’d want them. I already miss them and I plan to use them to mount my cabinets once I figure those out.

I’ll likely use Baltic birch but also kind of want to try 80/20. We’ll see.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1778.jpeg
    IMG_1778.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 60

Dougnuts

Haha! Ok, I can take a hint. I’ll get a full shot asap!

we-have-determined-this-is-a-lie.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the Sikaflex 221, I just ordered some to seal up my bed.

Bigc3031

That is hilarious! I’ll gat some on our road trip to NC to get the cap installed. My business is up 65% YTD ans last year was already great. I’ve been running myself into the ground. The trip is forcing me to take a little break and I need it!

Bigc3031

A little tip on the sikaflex or any other sealant.

Wear nitrile gloves, have a container of Lysol lemon scented wipes next to you and box to collect the used wipes.

As you apply it, wet your glove with a wipe, tool it then clean off the glove with a wipe. Toss in the box and repeat. The wipes are great if you apply too much as well. The lemon works the best. No clue why, but they do. I use this trick in my trade as well.

Sit the tubes in the sun for a bit if it’s below 70° outside. Cut the tip to have a peak on the trailing side to help shape the bead. I always cut the bottom of the tube to help flow as well.

Bigc3031

Prepping the bed for the cap install and brainstorming some layout. Not sure if I’ll throw the maxtrax on the roof or in the bed yet. I’m also considering going to minis since I have the winch too.

Getting some packout mounts for the Molle panels as well as for the fire extinguisher.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2729.jpeg
    IMG_2729.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Prepping the bed for the cap install and brainstorming some layout. Not sure if I’ll throw the maxtrax on the roof or in the bed yet. I’m also considering going to minis since I have the winch too.

Getting some packout mounts for the Molle panels as well as for the fire extinguisher.
I ended up using one of these plates, and mounted my Packouts to it at the front of my camper. The picture is before the plate was installed, but it’s in the exact same position just 1/2” higher now.

Mines on a Carbonized 7.3 Tremor as well. Just a 22’ lol

Attachments

• 8F20D4DE-C1DC-4FCF-A1DD-5221EDD4FCDC.jpeg
    8F20D4DE-C1DC-4FCF-A1DD-5221EDD4FCDC.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 21

Bigc3031

That’s a nice Packout plate. I have 4 from Milwaukee and they are pretty bulky.

Great build on the camper too!

We drove from michigan to Kentucky and stayed in a Caboose airbnb last night which was super fun and made it to North Carolina tonight for the install tomorrow.

Attachments

• 44FD344D-1C32-4D01-A052-92D84DA3F9DA.jpeg
    44FD344D-1C32-4D01-A052-92D84DA3F9DA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

Bigc3031

Install knocked out yesterday at Southern Overland Outfitters in Hickory, North Carolina. Chad the owner was awesome and so inviting. Josh the tech was meticulous and made sure it was done exactly as we wanted. I strongly recommend them for future work.

Total install time was 10 hours. Wiring probably half of that. We had a 3+ hour drive to West Virginia so we couldn’t stick around to long after the install was done but we all took some parking lot pics and we hit the road.

MPG through the mountains of Virginia ended up at 12.1 so I don’t expect a significant drop in my normal average.

The truck doesn’t feel top heavy compared to no cap which is nice. If anything the weight of the cap helped smooth out the rear end a little.

Wind noise is definitely there but not horrible. I’ll be researching fairings to see what looks good. I know Colorado fairing company is pretty solid.

Detailed review to come, i be camping in it this weekend. The welds and build quality are amazing. Whoever Mario has on the welding station, they are worth every penny and probably more.

Attachments

• IMG_3129.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3130.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3127.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 35

Bigc3031

Ran the battery down to 57% by the time I got down to NC which took 5 days with the fridge/freezer running. In about 6 hours of driving it's fully charged. Real world charging has averaged 21-22amps.

I'm going to test out the draw with the heater once I get home and settled back in but I think this makes me feel good about not spending a ton of money on solar.

I’ll be camping this weekend and teaching a land nav class. It looks like temps will be in the low 50’s at night so I’m not sure if I’ll even need the heat.

Attachments

• IMG_3137.jpeg
    IMG_3137.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3133.png
    IMG_3133.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3135.png
    IMG_3135.png
    406 KB · Views: 11

Bigc3031

Installed an Oregon AT bugnet on the cap. Good addition overall but it could be just a bit longer. Even with my bedbug there is a small gap at the bottom the bugs will find their way in. Better than nothing but for the price I would expect a better fit, still worth it I suppose. The quality of materials is top notch.

I need to find a local source for large panels of Baltic birch. I want to start the cabinet design/build.

Attachments

• IMG_3613.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 18

Bigc3031

Nothing to crazy today but I’m getting ready for the first campout this weekend. Installed one packout mount on the drivers side rear MOLLE panel for a first aid kit.

I installed a 20’ luminoodle led light strip I’ve had for around 10 years in my last truck. It’s not the brightest or fanciest but it’s held up well.

Attachments

• IMG_3682.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16

Bigc3031

Feeling no guilt breaking this in this weekend. It’s cold and raining. 25 scouts are ensuing the weather in tents on the ground while I have the truma fired up, a movie on and some barrel proof bourbon in my glass.

If you want a good mount, sea sucker is solid. I mounted this a week ago and weighed it down to test it. Superior to any suction cup I’ve used in the past for sure.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online