2024 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Nothing too crazy or exciting here, just a commercial built fiberglass RV but since I plan to mod it a tad and use it to boon dock while on motorcycle trips and some hunting trips, I figured I'd start a build thread. We picked it up brand new, direct from the factory in Rice, TX (about 45 mins south of Dallas on I45) the third week of February. It's a 2024 Spirt Deluxe, deluxe means it has a wet bath. We opted for every single option short of their new gray wall material and the lower exterior gray gel coat. Being that this started as someone else's order we ended up getting a decent discount versus placing our own order (for literally the same thing) and waiting another 4-6 months for more money.

The Spirit model allows for a 4-seat dinette that turns into a Full/Queen bed (likely how we will have it setup full time) and a side 2-seat dinette than can convert into a single bed should you need to sleep an added guest. It has a kitchen with a two burner gas stove, deep kitchen sink and the microwave/oven cabinet is wired should we ever desire one. Odds are a simple toaster or possibly a toaster oven/air fryer is all it'll ever see as I plan to use that space as the pantry while on extended trips.

a5aMxxW.jpg

Highlight options include a Coleman Mach 8 Plus AC w/heat strip, Suburban furnace, Fiamma F45 awning, Group 31 AGM 100Ah deep cycle battery, Power MaxxFan, electric tongue jack and an outside shower.

On the sales side of things they were a pleasure to work with, our salesman was quick to respond to all emails and calls and come delivery day he provided excellent customer service. My only word of advice here, go over everything with a fine tooth comb before you pull away as make ready and the service delivery team definitely didn't do as good of a job as the sales team. No huge issues, but there were a few small things they should have caught prior to it leaving, that goes for myself as well.

(Picking her up from the factory)

O2q0Vd9.jpg

It'll be nice to have a proper shower and toilet while camping for once.

RcaDhM1.jpg

1pCmSzx.jpg

Mgi46A2.jpg

The full kitchen is a nice touch but we have no plans to cook inside very often if at all. Casita recently moved to a low profile, charcoal filter, ventless style hood. This eliminates another entry point for unwanted critters and cleans up the outside of the trailer as it now has one less vent.

Z1QZU4g.jpg

Upon getting her home I removed all of the decals for a cleaner look at my wife's request.

VoC4SlG.jpg

NymJ6kX.jpg

4qpjOjX.jpg

Last week I took it to Houston to have the Katy's Closet with LED light installed in the front closet. I did this for better organization and as a small mod for my wife's benefit as I have to do a few things for her along the way if I want her to be happy with this venture as well. They have a really smart design that maximizes the usability of the space and finishes it out nicer than any closet I have seen in a RV trailer. I also had them install a small shelf in the bathroom storage compartment, now it's no longer just a giant water tight cavity with things stacked on top of one another.

WSpMhBD.jpg

T20lyCr.jpg

My plans at the moment include the Torflex 3" axle lift and 30" BFG KO2's on the factory aluminum wheels and four BAL 7500 lb stabilizer jacks to improve stability and end user serviceability since they are bolted to weld-on plates in more proper locations on the frame. These stabilizer jacks will also eliminate the need for a separate bottle jack to change a flat as they will provide plenty of height and strength to lift the trailer off the ground in the event of a flat. Doug with Casita Works in Bryan, TX will do the install later this week. I also plan to have his receiver hitch installed in the coming months when they come back in stock. The trailer will sit and look similar to this older Casita pictured below.

PbzpBD0.jpg

Aside from having the windows tinted for privacy, better climate control and looks, we plan to use the trailer in this configuration for the remainder of 2024. If we find that the Casita is all we will ever need or desire (I want an Oliver Elite II really badly lol) then I'll likely take the trailer to Texas Customz next spring to have his World's Toughest Casita chassis up-fit installed which will give it a longer frame on one-ton running gear with larger brakes to match the truck along with true suspension and a rail mounted to the tongue to carry the KTM 500 or Honda Trail. This up-fit will also allow me to match the wheels on the truck and I will be able to jump up to a 33" tire as well.

I have an external solar port wired direct to the battery which will allow me to use my 200W solar suitcase to help keep the batteries charging while boon docked. I want to get a few trips under my belt with the 100Ah AGM setup before I jump to lithium but I do plan to eventually make the switch to lithium batteries and dedicated solar panels on the roof. At the moment I have a RedArc smart battery monitor to keep an eye on things and I'll eventually get around to installing the RedArc 1500W inverter as well. I might hold off on that until I make the switch to lithium so that I can have an altogether cleaner and more organized install.

Planned trips for this year include New Mexico this summer and Big Bend in the late fall. I have a few motorcycle trips in the works as well so it'll likely see some use there in Arkansas and possibly Arizona along with random quick weekend trips to the beach and Dallas.

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
That’s a great looking rig. I’m sure you will have lots of fun.

Something similar has been on my radar for a while.

I too want an Oliver, but they(even used) are going for stupid money.
I screwed up bad, there was an Elite II for sale one state away for 40k. It was 4 years old. By the time I’d done my homework it was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

I screwed up bad, there was an Elite II for sale one state away for 40k. It was 4 years old. By the time I’d done my homework it was gone.

how about a used one, they are all pretty much the same. they are asking $6,500.00!

Tex68w

Beach Bum

Yea $40K for an Elite II is the deal of the century lol. New 2024 models with all of the upgrade options are now north of $100K, wild stuff. I am still keeping the possibility of an Oliver in our future open as we might find ourselves on the road in a part time capacity in a few years if everything lines up and I can see the Oliver making more sense at that time.

how about a used one, they are all pretty much the same. they are asking $6,500.00!

Ehh, yes and no. Pre-2013 they are almost indistinguishable but the newer ones are much improved and the 2023+ trailers are even better than the 2013-2022 models. But generally speaking, yes, they are the same footprint since day one. That's a solid deal on that one you posted.

CCH

Adventurer
Cool rigs, and your future plans sound amazing. I get the Oliver bug, but that’s a lot of money. I looked at them pretty hard, but ended up with a “small” Arctic Fox.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Cool rigs, and your future plans sound amazing. I get the Oliver bug, but that’s a lot of money. I looked at them pretty hard, but ended up with a “small” Arctic Fox.

I have a buddy who had an Arctic Fox but I never got to check it out before he sold it. He really liked it and said he'd own another. And I agree, the Oliver is a financial commitment I am just not ready to make considering I am not even certain this whole experiment will last or stick just yet haha. There's at least 1-2 years minimum of Casita time in my future before I even come close to making a decision about pursuing an Oliver.

I'm sure olivers are good but they're not worth three times the price of a Casita.

I have to agree with you there. I'd say they are worth double but definitely not triple. They are an acquired taste as well, I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that find them too sterile. I on the other hand appreciate that attribute and prefer to have a cleaner look, or as some might call it, a more sterile look when it comes to something like a camper because I am not into the early 90's cheap cabin feel that so many campers embody. Apparently I am not your average buyer because it appears most gravitate towards that type of interior.

Like anything else, there's a point of diminishing returns on all things and you have to figure out where you personally draw that line in the sand. For myself, I can see $70K, maybe $80K for a late model, very lightly used Elite II but I'd have a hard time spending any more than that.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Between the lift and the new larger tires, 'Chancho' gained about 4.5" in ground clearance today. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, IMHO it's a major improvement in terms of ground clearance, approach and break over and just all-around looks. Four (4) new 7500lb jacks and mounting plates were installed as well but I've chosen to leave the front ones off for the time being or at least until I see how it does after the first few trips. Tint is up next!

fjHuh2f.jpg

dflwFzb.jpg

wA8a2G1.jpg

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Looks great!! My top choice for a trailer. I LOVE FIBREGLASS!! Had a Northern Lite truck camper and the shell was the biggest selling point. SO much easier to maintain and much stronger than most other building material.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Looks great!! My top choice for a trailer. I LOVE FIBREGLASS!! Had a Northern Lite truck camper and the shell was the biggest selling point. SO much easier to maintain and much stronger than most other building material.

Agreed, fiber glass was the only option in my eyes. There are some great options out there, Scamp, Escape, Big Foot, Oliver, Cortes, BackPack, Snoozy, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior