Goodyear Announces a new variant of the MT/R

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Interesting. The GYMTR has always been my favorite all around tire... i can't wait to see the reviews on this version.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The side lugging is definitely more stylized. What I liked about the original MTR was just basic blocked "U" shape side lugs.

This tire reminds me of a Pro Comp.

Last edited:

milo12

Adventurer
Here is a link to the datasheet.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+MT%2FR+with+Kevlar&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

These may be a good replacement for my Toyos. The only complaint I have about the Toyos is they are load rating E so they are kinda stiff. These Goodyears come in a C and D rating for a 35 inch tire.

There is also this tire that looks interesting for more snow driving.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+DuraTrac&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Good call on this size: LT285/75R18

Wonder if they're hiring down at the local Kwik-E-Mart
685925717_ba6d1a4755%5B1%5D.jpg
so one could pay for them.

durango_60

Explorer
I like the looks of the DuraTrac, looks like competition for the Cooper ST which is what I think suits my usage best.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I like everything about the MT/R's I've run except the fact GY can't seem to make them round. I finally gave up after 3-complete sets of MT/R after experiencing the same out of round/difficult to balance/keep balanced issues and went to Toyo. Others I know have witnessed the same issues.

If they actually take care of the manufacturing issues described above this new version could be a great tire. And ditto above: Hope they offer them in a 10.5/11.0" x 35 diameter (16 or 18 wheel) AND 255R85 16!

106223.jpg

Honestly the Dura Trac seems like the PERFECT tire :drool: for my driving needs. 90% street commuting in Colorado with occasional heavy winter snow/ice & spring rain with the remainder of my driving on (usually dry) mountain dirt track and some, but very little, rock crawling. But alas no 33x10.5x15 offered :(

If only I had 16" rims, the 285/75/16 Load 'E' is right on the money....some day.... :Astrologist: I'll just have to settle for the BFG KM2's until I can afford 16" rims.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The DuraTrac does look tire like a great tire to compete with the Cooper ST.

I want them to make it in a 255/85R16 'load range D'

I like the looks of the DuraTrac, looks like competition for the Cooper ST which is what I think suits my usage best.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Goodyear requesting mileage warranty & addition future sizing information, since I couldn't find it on the website. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon.

I think I might buy some inexpensive 16 steel rims just to run this tire in the 285/75R16 size (p/n: 312005027), but that's an E load range tire so I'm concerned about the sidewall being too stiff and giving a rough ride??

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I hope they actually reply to you with actual information. I usually get the form letter "The requested information is not available at this time"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior