2M Antenna Recommendations?

xtatik

Explorer
You don't need a steel roof to have an excellent ground plane with a "through-roof" mount.

All you need is a copper sheet, about 18"x18" (inches, not feet, you don't need a stonehenge size sheet) in size.
If the antenna were mounted in the middle of this 18"x18" sheet, it would only present an approximate 1/8 wave counterpoise. Not ideal for an elevated vertical that wants a tuned counterpoise. Truth is, vehicle mounted antennas rarely get what they want.
Extending a full 18" away from the base of the antenna would better approximate a 1/4 wave counterpoise.

Last edited:

xtatik

Explorer
no ground plane needed for 1/2 or 5/8s wave mobile antennas. You only need to support 1/4 wave mobile/base antennas with a ground plane.

so mount whatever 1/2 or 5/8 wherever you want on your vehicle.

Higher the better of course.

This depends on how they are loaded doesn't it?

Jeremy Fisher

All you can really ask for in a whip antenna are two things: quality materials (for longevity, durability and corrosion/rust resistance) and a high gain. Other than that, whip antennas are all the same.

That being said, I can personally vouch for both the quality and performance of Laird Tech antennas. Mine has not only held up throughout being drug through various tree limbs but honestly shows no signs of corrosion or even any film internally (in the base) or externally after about 3 years of being used and abused as well as being stored outdoors. Granted, I was diligent about sealing the base and NMO connector with silicone.

The Laird had (at the time) the highest gain available for a 5/8's wave whip antenna to boot and was priced very reasonably to boot.

xtatik

Explorer
Anyway, I just have to say that the difference in TX and RX between the mag mount and through the roof mount is pretty amazing. For those of you who cringe about drilling through your roof, there are ways to plug the hole for when you resell the vehicle.

This would be expected. The mag mount isn't electrically continuous with the vehicle as would be the case with nearly any other type of fixed mount. Unlike other fixed mounts, when you use a mag mount you are providing no counterpoise to the antenna. Having said that, in my company vehicle, I use a 5w HT with a tiny mag mount thrown onto the roof and can hit any repeater in the LA metro area and others up to 80 miles away(K6BB in Big Bear....has Dumbo ears). Of course, all of these repeaters have me beat by about 5000 feet in elevation, on average. When comparing antennas you need to control, dismiss or take into account a lot of variables(like an ungrounded mag-mount).
No doubt, with line of sight signals there will be an optimum mounting position afforded on every vehicle, but actually measuring the differences would be difficult. Hearing the differences at either end of a QSO becomes even more difficult. Trying to maximize the efficiency of a station is one of the tenets of being a ham, so I don't want to be completely dismissive of these efforts. However, at some point when trying to maximize distance it can be a lot easier to just upgrade license class and use a more efficient mode. For those unwilling to drill a hole in a perfectly fine roof the gain in simply upgrading license class is measured in additional hundreds and thousands of miles.
Some of the guys I've met on runs are bent on the "chase truck look" that the NMO provides. When this is the case, by all means, go for it. But, when I run into someone that actually travels to remote areas and is strugging with the distance afforded by FM, my first advice is to upgrade class and radio and quit stressing about wringing out a couple of extra miles from their FM rig.

Last edited:

Mashurst

Adventurer
But, when I run into someone that actually travels to remote areas and is struggling with the distance afforded by FM, my first advice is to upgrade class and radio and quit stressing about wringing out a couple of extra miles from their FM rig.
This is an interesting statement and a good point. I hold a General License so that is not an issue but I dont have the funds for much of a radio these days. I make due with the used FM only VHF/UHF I have. I have also only spent precious little time actual on the HF bands using other guys setups so I dont really even have much of an idea of what can be done. But I wonder how reliably one could make contact from point A to point B using HF for emergency work for instance. With a 100w 20m ssb rig for instance would you expect to have reliable, day and night contact from say death valley to LA? I suppose with an all modes all bands rig one could make something work.
Also with the way the bands come and go as conditions change how would one arrange to meet up with someone monitoring back home?

xtatik

Explorer
But I wonder how reliably one could make contact from point A to point B using HF for emergency work for instance. With a 100w 20m ssb rig for instance would you expect to have reliable, day and night contact from say death valley to LA? I suppose with an all modes all bands rig one could make something work.
Also with the way the bands come and go as conditions change how would one arrange to meet up with someone monitoring back home?

The bands really aren't that fickle. In fact, they are very reliable. Knowing which bands work during the different times of day and night is the trick.
A 20m signal isn't going to work well at night unless the SFI is above about 110. When it's above 110 (like right now), it becomes a nearly 24 hour band. In average propogation conditions, during the early morning hours 40m works well. From late morning until sundown 20m is the most reliable choice. In the evening, once again 40m, and as the evening progesses 80m can become the best choice.
Although I do it often, it's not always easy to schedule a contact as close as from Death Valley to LA. Sometimes the HF bands will "work long" and won't offer very good short range contacts like this. In an emergency, it would be simple to contact someone a state or two away. Using the bands and times I've given above I could always find someone on the air to assist me.
Here's some helpful info:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46807

Tennmogger

Explorer
One trick to know how the bands are doing at any time is to just listen. No license needed for that! Pick an active frequency, like 14,300 kHz and listen to the almost continuous nets there. Hundreds of people check in every day and you will know where the band is open by who you hear.

Bob
WB4ETT

Mashurst

Adventurer
Sometimes the HF bands will "work long" and won't offer very good short range contacts like this.
This is where I question your argument that one needn't worry too much about optimizing their 2m setup. It seems if you want to cover all ranges you need 2m to fill the gap?
Maybe what you're saying is if you have full HF capability you can be sure you can reach someone some where out there even if its not the guy you want. Maybe I'm trying to apply the way I use 2m to HF and it doesn't really work the same.
I'm saving my pennies. So I guess I'll find out once I get a radio in my rig.
Thanks for being the sage expert with the patience for learners.

xtatik

Explorer
This is where I question your argument that one needn't worry too much about optimizing their 2m setup. It seems if you want to cover all ranges you need 2m to fill the gap?
Maybe what you're saying is if you have full HF capability you can be sure you can reach someone some where out there even if its not the guy you want. Maybe I'm trying to apply the way I use 2m to HF and it doesn't really work the same.
I'm saving my pennies. So I guess I'll find out once I get a radio in my rig.
Thanks for being the sage expert with the patience for learners.

Let me clarify. I'm not dismissing the use of FM. It should be on board and be used when close to help and for on-trail purposes. If you've got available repeaters where you're traveling, why not use them? But, if someone were seriously boondocking and it's all they've got and they're dead-set against upgrading....he!!z yeah, they better be doing everything you can to maximize efficiency. But then, they also need to realize that despite all their optimization efforts, it's their reluctance to upgrade that's more likely to leave them seriously stranded. This is where I mention the HF and upgrade advice. I'd never suggest one in lieu of the other. In fact, most hams, including the manufacturers wouldn't either. That is why most HF mobile radios are packaged in the way that they are, and why they include the FM bands.

In order to give better perspective, let's use your earlier example. In your example you're wanting to make a "point A" to "point B" contact from Death Valley into LA. How would you use your supremely optimized 2m rig to do so?
I've operated numerous times (should say, attempted to) in Death Valley with my old 2m rig. It was no slouch for a rig. It was a Yaesu FT-8900 into a Diamond CR8900r. This antenna is 5/8 wave and specifically optimised for the radio. The antenna was checked for performance using both my MFJ-259b and a field strength meter as all my rigs are both here at home or on my truck. I don't believe in SWR meters alone. It was about the best match you could expect to put on a vehicle. And yet, from most of Death Valley, it was useless as a long distance communicating device. If I were to run into trouble, with Death Valley's distant and hit or miss repeaters such as Mazourka, Upper Potosi, Silver Peak, etc., it could not in my opinion be relied upon in order to contact help.
If I were to use a 2m for a simple "sked" check-in with someone back in LA, I would have to time my travel to coincide with being at a spot in the park where I knew for certain that I could open squelch on one of the linked machines that would present my signal in LA. As far as I know the only linked repeater that would afford that luxury would be the WinSystem repeater in Lone Pine or atop Silver Peak. It's unlikely I'd hit Lone Pine due to obstructive mountain ranges (Inyo's). I've been able to open squelch on Silver Peak from Saline Valley (barely) and from Eureka Valley (easily), but from anywhere else in the park...no luck. I've been able to open squelch on Potosi only from the Furnace Creek end of the park, but it's set up to serve Vegas and is not linked into LA.

Having said that, I have immediate access to help (people with telephones) at any time of day, from anywhere in the park, using HF. And, in most cases by knowing and using the appropriate HF bands, I can make either direct or relayed contacts with a specific station.

Last edited:

Mashurst

Adventurer
Thanks for laying it out Randy. I sure do want an all modes all band rig. Maybe I'll start a thread about which one. :drool:
I hope I can get my company off the ground and have toy money again in the next year or so. I picked a bad time to finally get off my butt and get my ticket. The last year since I got my license I have been poorer than any time since college.
Mark
KJ6EUO

xtatik

Explorer
Thanks for laying it out Randy. I sure do want an all modes all band rig. Maybe I'll start a thread about which one. :drool:
I hope I can get my company off the ground and have toy money again in the next year or so. I picked a bad time to finally get off my butt and get my ticket. The last year since I got my license I have been poorer than any time since college.
Mark
KJ6EUO

Wishinya' the best of luck. I know what yer' talking about...I'm in the building industry and I'm seeing a lot of people struggling right now. Hang in there!

upcountry

Explorer
Hello HAM users.

Thanks for putting together this thread. I am new to HAM, studying for the exam, and picked up a 2M YAESU FT-2900R which seems to get good reviews, it was a good price, and I dont need somethign too complicated as a beginner.

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZYS-FT-2900R&gclid=CIOB5uPloq4CFQZeTAodAQhrRA

What I am confused about is what antennae to purchase.

I have a double cab tacoma with a front ARB bumper and rear swinggate tire carrier bumper.

I live in Seattle and park in parking garages every day, so I dont want a whip and dont something on the roof that sticks way up in the sky, even though it sounds like that is the best opiton for reception?

I am interested in a hood channel mount short whip antennae that can be installed opposite the factory radio antennae.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a hood channel mount bracket for a Toyota Tacoma and a good antennae to insert into the bracket?

I envision mounting it above the fender on the drivers side of the hood halfway between the windsheild and the headlight in the hood/fender channel/gap.

I have seen these, but have been unsuccessfull finding them online (maybe I am not searching the right keywords?)

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Also, I know this may not be the best setup for the purpose of reception, rooftop would be preferred, but with a lifted truck in a parking garage I am already about 1" below the max height in most garages in Seattle.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan