2M Antenna Recommendations?

Hedge

Adventurer
I am interested in a hood channel mount short whip antennae that can be installed opposite the factory radio antennae.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a hood channel mount bracket for a Toyota Tacoma and a good antennae to insert into the bracket?

I envision mounting it above the fender on the drivers side of the hood halfway between the windsheild and the headlight in the hood/fender channel/gap.

gamiviti.com/html/products_antennamounts.html

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
How about any special considerations for mounting dual antenna on the roof of a truck (refering to distance apart, in line (front to rear) or mounted side by side)? I am finally upgrading to 2M and need to retain the CB for most trail work (not my choice, just who I am out with) and I'm thinking of doing 2 NMO roof mounts, one for CB and one for 2M/70cm. I've found multiple recommendations about distance (24-36 inches seems the norm). Who is running dual roof mounted and what recommendations do you have on how they are mounted? Any interference issues? I figure if I am going to drill one hole, 2 won't hurt more...

Expedition Leader
How about any special considerations for mounting dual antenna on the roof of a truck (refering to distance apart, in line (front to rear) or mounted side by side)? I am finally upgrading to 2M and need to retain the CB for most trail work (not my choice, just who I am out with) and I'm thinking of doing 2 NMO roof mounts, one for CB and one for 2M/70cm. I've found multiple recommendations about distance (24-36 inches seems the norm). Who is running dual roof mounted and what recommendations do you have on how they are mounted? Any interference issues? I figure if I am going to drill one hole, 2 won't hurt more...

Just put them far enough apart that the antennas can never touch each other, even when flexed, and you will be OK. Interference if any will depend on the radios and how well they're shielded. I have both dual-band 2M/70cm and cb radios in two different trucks; transmitting on 2M will break squelch on the Cobra 75 in one truck but not on the Uniden 78 in the other truck.

4RunAmok

Explorer
My two Larsen NMO mounted antennas are 24 inches apart, and they have touched numerous times on trails, and it's never been an issue even once.

I also do not have the interference issues some have, and my Cobra C19DXIV is mounted piggybacked to my Yaesu 8800. So everyone's mileage will vary.

The only issue that I have, since I used NMO mounts on my roof, the position of my front antenna (HAM antenna) limits how far forward I can put my roof top tent, and I can't even use my rear NMO (CB antenna) at all with the tent mounted.

Expedition Leader
My two Larsen NMO mounted antennas are 24 inches apart, and they have touched numerous times on trails, and it's never been an issue even once.

Fortunately, they have not touched while you were transmitting on 2M!

4RunAmok

Explorer
For the vehicle action to make them touch, I'm surprised I'm able to hold on to the steering wheel, let alone worry about keying the mic! lol

457279216_Rr2sh-L.jpg 457280033_omamn-L.jpg 457280930_ThnaK-L.jpg

They do get movin'!

foxhunter

Adventurer
I just passed my test(for tech license) and will have my call sign in a week or so. I am looking at a yaesu ft 8800r radio(dual band). I am going to mount it on a unimog u500 rv(which I won't have till around August, so I have time to think about it). I am trying to decide on the best antenna and where to mount it( roof or front bumper). The antenna selections are confusing to me. Anyone have a suggestion?

4RunAmok

Explorer
Roof mount antennas are best because you get to use the vehicle as the ground plane, but on a MOG, you have height issues to be concerned with if you plan on taking it under trees etc...

Bumper mount is "ok"... But you want to make sure you compensate for what you'll be missing from a rooftop mounting. In particular, height and ground plane.

To fix some of the ground plane issues, you can get a Comet antenna, very stout strong antennas that are "ground plane neutral", meaning they don't require some huge flat metal area to get an excellent pattern.

In HAM antennas, height is everything, so get the tallest one you can get away with. One that fits your personal preference (Don't want you feeling it looks stupid! :D) and functions well. There is a sacrifice here; looks vs. function, you give up one for the other.

So, in short... if you're roof mounting, get a good NMO mount and a LARSEN antenna.
If you're bumper mounting, choose a good mount (may also be NMO if you have a nice flat plate steel bumper to drill through) and a Comet antenna.

foxhunter

Adventurer
Ham for mog

CIMG0096.JPGCIMG0097.JPG
My mog is a month away from completion. I am planning on ordering a Yaesu ft8800 R, Larsen NMO 2/70B antenna and Larsen NMOK mount. Anyone see anything I should do differently?

Charlie56

Adventurer
My mog is a month away from completion. I am planning on ordering a Yaesu ft8800 R, Larsen NMO 2/70B antenna and Larsen NMOK mount. Anyone see anything I should do differently?
You might consider a Kenwood D710 or a Yaesu FT-350 for the APRS capability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior