2nd Gen INFINITI QX56/QX80 Build

jackddavis

I am thinking about a coilover conversion for the rear. Replace the Coil Bucket LCA with a control arm which accepts a coilover and has adjustability for Toe. I would use a Ballistic joint instead of a heim. I believe the same coilover which works in the front could also be used in the rear, but spring rate will need to be lower for the rear.

PUrp8A3h.png
If you plan on producing this for the rear Id happily buy a pair or the LCAs ad the coilovers! That would be a wonderful solution for the Armada/QX80 platform when trying to build for offroad.

leeleatherwood

If you plan on producing this for the rear Id happily buy a pair or the LCAs ad the coilovers! That would be a wonderful solution for the Armada/QX80 platform when trying to build for offroad.

I don't have any plans to produce them, they would be expensive for me make for sale simply because I'm just a dude with a Garage.

I would be willing to make a pair or two for sale but in reality that would be it. I would also be willing to share CAD files and even let an off-road shop produce them royalty and license free.

I plan on making my set soon, just broke my leg so I am out of commission for about a month, but after that I will start working on them.

• Sad
Reactions: SRN

SRN

Adventurer
That sucks man. Broke my leg two years ago today on a ski trip. You'll have lots of time to get caught up on your internet surfing!

Aaron1

Welp, I installed the 1.5” rear spacers hoping they would work, and the ride in the rear is nothing like stock. I think the factory air shocks are just controlling the height so spacers really don’t do anything except make the spring rate more harsh. My wife loved the plush ride, and she’d hate this. After adjusting the rear air leveler, I’m at 37.5” height. From the factory it comes at 35.25”. If I lift the front with spacers it’d be around 38.5” which would be okay, a little higher in the front like it comes from the factory but I don’t think I’m going to. This sucks. Wish there was an easy way. I think I’m going to take these rear spacers out and just adjust the rear leveler to 36” matching the stock front and put 34” tires on. I really wanted a 1” to 2” lift.

On the 20's the factory shocks aren't long enough for a 2 inch lift. I got a set of shock extenders for a early 2000s f250 that I put in for now until I figure out what I want to do with the air ride. With the shock extenders installed it's right back to riding smooth

USMC8541

In the beginning of January I took a trip with WCORA to Death Valley. I was 30 minutes late to the start time and the group had already left. In a rush to catch up, I was going very fast, in excess of 60 to even 80mph at times over some rough terrain. As a result I bent a lower control arm in the rear, the Y62 platform has 2 lower control arms in the rear as mention before in my post about the airbags. I bent the one which holds the coil spring (and airbag), this control arm is the one which affects the toe.

Over the course of the day, it gradually got worse, to the point where I was unable to drive further because the vehicle was literally driving sideways LOL.

We were 2 hours from nearest town, and 4 hours from nearest junkyard (Las Vegas), a cool dude from our group rich gave us a ride to Vegas to get a new (used) control arm, we made it back out the next day and did a field repair and made it back home. Had alot of fun even though I didnt get to do the whole trip, the experience of breaking down in such a remote area and having to leave the vehicle undefended was scary but exciting at the same time. Rich is an amazing guy and actually lives full time out of his 4-Runner and travels America, he has countless great stories to tell.

I have bee
So, in Australia they have Billet Aluminum LCA's to resolve this issue. I have been waiting like 5 months now just for springs to arrive from there so I really dont want to order LCA's now and wait.

Instead I am going to modify the factory LCA's to make them stronger. Brand new OEM LCA's are only like $40. One issue is the rubber bushing is not replacable, and also the area around the bushing can not be strengthened because the rubber will melt if welding anywhere near it.

Instead I will replace the bushing with a much stronger and replaceable poly urethane one, its also greaseable.

The next issue and greatest issue with the factory LCA's is that there is an area of significant weakness on the top of the LCA near the frame side mount. Because it is not boxed on the top, it can widen apart and bend. If this alone was boxed, I think it would be much stronger, so I will do that.

I am also going to combine 2 lower control arms into 1 by splitting one in half, using it as a shell to place over a complete LCA and then weld them together. This will effectively double the wall thickness from .125" to .25", which is pretty thick and should be plenty strong.

I think the pictures will explain what is going on, this is still a work in progress, I ran out of daylight today.

Poly Bushing Housing with grease fitting:

Split LCA down the middle:

Place half and tack in place:

You can see how its sandwiched perfectly:

Stitch welds as I go along:

damn good idea. I’m diving your thread. My wife’s f150 was totaled in a head on with a drunk driver a couple weeks ago and your rig has convinced me to buy a qx56/80 and build it up for her. Seeing all the mods you are doing on your build will save me lots of brain damage on my build?

2to4wheels

Adventurer
I've been a lurker here for a bit...currently have an 06 Montero and am considering moving on to something a bit larger for the growing family. Did I see that Nisstec is now importing the Dash predator bumper? I hadn't been on their site in a bit but I don't remember that last time I checked.

GViz

Any suspension recommendations for a 2019 armada?

Would like to upgrade the shocks front and rear also the springs front and rear. what combo could still retain the camber and geometry of the suspension. Don’t mind gaining an inch or remain standard.

I know it was covered here but Would like to ask again to make sure I don’t mis out any small parts that’s needed to complete the project.

Would just changing out the shocks (ome, bilstien 5100, Ironman shocks) give me that? What springs are recommended to not go over 2inches? please advise and thanks in advance.

e61outside

Any suspension recommendations for a 2019 armada?

Would like to upgrade the shocks front and rear also the springs front and rear. what combo could still retain the camber and geometry of the suspension. Don’t mind gaining an inch or remain standard.

I know it was covered here but Would like to ask again to make sure I don’t mis out any small parts that’s needed to complete the project.

Would just changing out the shocks (ome, bilstien 5100, Ironman shocks) give me that? What springs are recommended to not go over 2inches? please advise and thanks in advance.

I recommend the Ironman kit and then adjust from there if needed. Next step would be SPC upper control arms. (Or similar spring and shock combo) Most folks will never need more than that. With the iron man or others you would also want to consider weight. If mostly stock then go standard spring rate, or if planning on drawers, bumpers, etc then go with the next load rating up. You won’t need to do more with the geometry if you stay below 2 inches of lift. Whole different ball game if you want do more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e61outside

I am thinking about a coilover conversion for the rear. Replace the Coil Bucket LCA with a control arm which accepts a coilover and has adjustability for Toe. I would use a Ballistic joint instead of a heim. I believe the same coilover which works in the front could also be used in the rear, but spring rate will need to be lower for the rear.

PUrp8A3h.png

Did you ever do this? Curious how it turned out if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MirageMobile

Nice build man! I have an opportunity to get a Gen1 2010 QX56 with 80K miles for $13K.

how much of the suspension mods and bumpers are also applicable to gen1 QX56?

I saw some really nice builds here, and would like to share mine as well. I like how it rides on road with the HBMC so the build is trying to maintain that system as much as possible. All my previous research indicates that QX80 is a Y62 Patrol underneath, so I planned my build with the availability of Y62 mods in mind. However, there are quite a lot subtle differences (in suspension geometry and parts) between QX80 and Patrol. I learnt this the hard way when trying to fit the Y62 mods I purchased from Australia and China.

2015 Infiniti QX80 (with HBMC)
  • Front 2" lifted OnTrack Y62 Patrol lower control arm (to maintain front HBMC shock)
  • Front RoughCountry Titan upper control arm (Y62 patrol arms will NOT fit)
  • Rear ToughDog Y62 patrol 2" lifted coil spring
  • Rear Y62 Patrol OEM HBMC shock absorber (deletes factory air suspension in exchange for greater travel)
  • 18" Titan Pro-4X wheels with grey powder coating
  • BFGoodrich KO2 tires
  • CY Offroad Y62 Patrol steel sear bumper with swing out
  • Front Y62 Patrol predator bar (aluminum facia)
  • Front Y62 Patrol cross member (welded onto frame for mounting predator bar)
  • Redarc BCDC1225 charger
  • 4x20AH AGM battery in trunk compartment
  • Custom drawer system 60:40 split units (removable to use third row seats)
  • DFG offroad tiled fridge slide
  • Dometic CFX50 fridge
View attachment 580242

View attachment 580243
This looks fantastic mate:)
Im having all sorts of issues trying to find a winch bar here in Aus for my 2017 InfinitiQx80 and am considering doing the same thing. My brother has a 2015 Patrol with a winch bar on his, and that was what i disciovered too is the chassis rail is about 55mm longer on mine, so i would have to cut them to makle the bar sit right, but was nt sure whether the crossmember was required for the winch cradle but from what you have said it is... is this normally bolted in the ptrol or welded?? If so, how did you find one would it need to be an actual crossmember oor perhaps a piece of steel box section??
Also, did your rear patrol bar simply bolt up or was it a massive mod to fit as well??
Cheers
Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior