3.0 CRD Lj?

762X39

Explorer
I am not a jeep guy but I seem to remember there being a company out there that does this conversion. They also do the little CRD engine from the Liberty as well as Hemis if I remember right.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I hope you're referring to someone other than AEV. They have done the 2.8, but have no plans to produce it.

Not only won't they produce it. That white brute is one of the hardest thing to get details about from those guys. Its a beautiful Jeep. I got to talking to Dave of AEV @ Sema 2 years ago. Conversation was going along good. lots of info on the brute and highline kits. We asked about the 2.8 white brute.. Silence... nothing...

I get the impression the 2.8 was a real pita to do.

the 3 might be a whole different story. The dash might be fun though. LJ will be PCI bus, I think those CRDs are probably CAN bus. haven't seen anything off the shelf to convert the signals, though I might have to make one at some point for a CAN Hemi we have a M725.

Jason

Burningtree

Umm...yeah, must be a REAL PITA....

The following is a snipit from an email I just received from DieselToyz...

"We use the 6 speed manual found in factory CRD Wranglers overseas(AU). The parts total for 2.8 I4 is $10k and installation is $10k. This includes all parts/labor. The 3.0 V6's are a little more work as the wiring and fabrication required is excessive. I would estimate the install labor to be $15k and parts $8-10k range."

I had NO idea it would be so expensive, $20-25k:Wow1:. I was thinking maybe $6k(including the totalled donor vehicle). The wiring seems to be the biggest hassle, but Hotwireauto.com can do a harness for $1500.

XXXpedition

Explorer
depends on where you're at...
i'd know a guy who does things like this.
he's in LA - chatsworth, california:

seems from previous posts that you're up north...

JPFreek1

Explorer
The best bet is a company in San Antonio, Tx named Dieseltoyz (www.dieseltoyz.com). I'm planning on using them for a 2.8L CRD conversion at some point in the near future.

I have heard that the 3.0L is a much more difficult and intricate conversion platform than the 2.8L but if you've got a 3.0L to use and it's at the right price, throwing that sucker in an LJ would be AWESOME! Keep us posted on your plans, and good luck. :)

Burningtree

JPfreek, check out post #6. If you're figures are different let me know.

It'd be my luck that once committed to such an undertaking, the JK would be offered Stateside with this option. On another note...I do understand that these shops are basically adapting/mating an engine to an unintended platform, but why sooooo expensive? Even the 300 TDI(non-electrical Land Rover familial goodness) that ECR puts into D90s is up there...

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
It would be much easier to put a cummins 4bt in it. waaaaaaaaaay better than the 2.8 and i would say better than the 3.0. I am also assuming it would be an easier swap!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I have seen Burnsville's work. They had a couple JK's out a the 4wd Hardware jambo this summer. Very nice work. I can imagine they get top $$ for the work though.

JPFreek1

Explorer
JPfreek, check out post #6. If you're figures are different let me know.

It'd be my luck that once committed to such an undertaking, the JK would be offered Stateside with this option. On another note...I do understand that these shops are basically adapting/mating an engine to an unintended platform, but why sooooo expensive? Even the 300 TDI(non-electrical Land Rover familial goodness) that ECR puts into D90s is up there...

Completely missed that when reading the thread. The figures I had were based on the 2.8 without a wiring harness using an engine pulled from a totalled CRD Liberty. Came out to around $12k so yes, something in the $15k range is probably accurate. For the 3.0 I can see it costing more due to the wiring difficulties of that platform.

As for the expense, I agree it sounds like a TON. However, take into account too that if doing such a conversion on a vehicle that has lived a long life span, it makes more sense to go this route than spend $30k plus on a new vehicle, particularly if you love the vehicle you currently have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan