3.0 CRD Lj?

JPFreek1

Explorer
It would be much easier to put a cummins 4bt in it. waaaaaaaaaay better than the 2.8 and i would say better than the 3.0. I am also assuming it would be an easier swap!

I actually asked Dave @ AEV about the Cummins option as a viable engine for the Jeep TJ and/or JK and his feelings were that the engine is just way too heavy to be a reasonable option for conversion. The frame would have to be stiffened significantly and additional weight added to the rear to handle the front-end weight increase.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I actually asked Dave @ AEV about the Cummins option as a viable engine for the Jeep TJ and/or JK and his feelings were that the engine is just way too heavy to be a reasonable option for conversion. The frame would have to be stiffened significantly and additional weight added to the rear to handle the front-end weight increase.

I'd have to agree with dave there. That is just not a light truck engine. Its too tall, and too heavy for a TJ. Fairly well suited to 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

They are also unreasonably expensive given the cult of 4bt swap people. In most cases you can source a 6bt for less than a 4bt.

I'd love to get one of the International 2.8s that you see in some landrover swaps.

That toy swap part sounds pretty good though. I might have to look into that.

Jason

Burningtree

After much reading I think the easiest, simplest, least expensive, most reliable route would be the Cummins. Its probably also the loudest option though. If anyone is interested, just found this....4BTswap.com

or pay 50 grand and get the J8 through AEV.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior