$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I might see if I can get my old novice call sign from 37 years ago as a vanity call-sign, but I think the FCC won't want that as I would be on bands that a grandfathered Novice license could not use. That is, it could sound like I am operating on bands that I not allowed to be on. Maybe a variation with a new prefix or ????
Techs and General can use any 2x3 or 1x3 call sign, the FCC doesn't bother with Group A, B, C, D and E call signs or require amateurs to change them if they move to a different region anymore (although new sequential issued ones are still regional). The 2x1, 1x2 and 2x2 call signs are still restricted to Amateur Extra, though. So if your old Novice sign is available you are eligible to get it as a vanity. There are still restrictions for prefixes to Hawaii (AH, KH, NH, WH) and Alaska (AL, KL, NL, WL).

lysol

Explorer
I'm placing an order for (2) "UV-5RE+" ($70 for a pair of them) this weekend. Going to keep one for myself as my first HAM radio. The other I'm going to repackage with a "Technician" study book to give to my dad. Also ordering a USB cable so I can pre-program it for him. Hopefully I can push him into taking the damn test... lol. I'm taking my Technician test on Dec 10th.

Funny, I went to the radio club meeting to get my "free radio" and ( won the raffle for another radio and thought of doing the same as you did lysol. There was a choice of cash instead, which I took and gave most of to a ailing HAM fund who had set-up most of the local repeaters. Never met him, but the club was giving money to the family to offset medical bills, so I figured I'd help.

Anyways, back to the radio - I "discovered" that it gets FM radio channels in addition to the flashlight and the alarm(?) function. Listened to a few conversations, but I have not talked to anyone yet. Made a call-out from kayak while I was night paddling the other weekend - thought it would make an "interesting" contact for someone, but no replies. 2M and 1.25M seems pretty dead almost all of the time near me - so much for this thing saving me when I have no cell coverage!

lysol

Explorer
Funny, I went to the radio club meeting to get my "free radio" and ( won the raffle for another radio and thought of doing the same as you did lysol. There was a choice of cash instead, which I took and gave most of to a ailing HAM fund who had set-up most of the local repeaters. Never met him, but the club was giving money to the family to offset medical bills, so I figured I'd help.

Anyways, back to the radio - I "discovered" that it gets FM radio channels in addition to the flashlight and the alarm(?) function. Listened to a few conversations, but I have not talked to anyone yet. Made a call-out from kayak while I was night paddling the other weekend - thought it would make an "interesting" contact for someone, but no replies. 2M and 1.25M seems pretty dead almost all of the time near me - so much for this thing saving me when I have no cell coverage!

How many channels did you try? I'm not sure if there is a popular one that everyone uses or not. Still learning.

Zam15

Explorer
Just picked up two along with the extended batteries. Hope they work out, the price was hard to pass up. They will compliment my 8900R.

How many channels did you try? I'm not sure if there is a popular one that everyone uses or not. Still learning.
The radio is programmed with all the Rhode Island repeaters, and I programmed a couple of SoEast Mass ones. I live in Mass, but work in RI.

Note you can change to frequency mode and scan the entire range the radio is capable of - or scan all your pre-programmed channels, or even the FM stations too!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
True, the cheap one isn't the + model, so it doesn't have the "more humanized" manual, or "Upgrade the frame material. Metallic, more durable and more fashionable", or even "The New 2013 packing, more beautiful and quite well-done" :)

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Just got 3 more UV-5R's off amazon for $30 each. One went to a friend studying, and the other two will be backups to hand out on trail runs to keep everyone in the loop.
Also convinced a different friend to go for his tech license. He already ordered, received, and has been playing with his UV-5R.

For the money, these are great for on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle