$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
It's great having a friend with a couple big lasers. Drew these UV5R "holsters" up and had them cut. Basically ready to finalize with however you want to attach it to anything. Going to make one into a mount for the jeep and gave a couple to friends to make mounts with.

eje9ymuq.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It's great having a friend with a couple big lasers. Drew these UV5R "holsters" up and had them cut. Basically ready to finalize with however you want to attach it to anything. Going to make one into a mount for the jeep and gave a couple to friends to make mounts with...

Can I be your friend? Those are cool!

smiper

Observer
It's great having a friend with a couple big lasers. Drew these UV5R "holsters" up and had them cut. Basically ready to finalize with however you want to attach it to anything. Going to make one into a mount for the jeep and gave a couple to friends to make mounts with.

eje9ymuq.jpg

I suspect that these would sell. Well.

jCubed

Adventurer
I can find out what the costs would be if there is interest. It's 14 ga sheet so pretty stout.

I'd be in for one depending on price. Couple guys in the local SAR team I'm trying to join might be interested. I can bring it up in our meeting in Jan.

JimBiram

Adventurer
Anyone use the Anytone Mobile?

I've been using the Anytone mobile for about 10 months. It is a LMR not just a ham radio so it can be used as a commercial radio with proper licensing. It has broad frequency coverage and it can monitor gmrs/frs frequencies as well as transmit in the 2 meter and 70 cm bands. Audio quality is quite good and it programs easily with software. With a bit of work I have also programmed in a couple of frequencies without software. Good value for $299 or less with separation kit and software. Crossband repeat is easy to set up. Only downside is that you can't add an APRS tnc. I know a few hams are trying to do that through the speaker mike but hasn't been done yet.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

lysol

Explorer
I hope you know that if you were to make these and set up an Amazon store account, you could make A LOT of money. When people go to the Amazon page for the radio, they will see the "Other Products People Viewed" and "Other Products People Bought" and see your product... Just sayin...

These radios are already selling like hot cakes. If you were to make a bracket for each version of radio, you would be in a hot market at least for the next few years.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor

OK. I got some more info together for everyone. These are made from 14ga (.07") steel sheet without any finish on them. They would be $10 each for the "holster" and I could fit probably a dozen of them in a USPS small flat rate box at $5.80.

Again, these were just an idea I had. I had these cut by a friend with the intention of welding, drilling, cutting, bolting, etc to get them to a working mount. I just wanted a way to mount the radio while I was in the vehicle. If there is enough interest I can have them cut to order as he regularly has 14ga running. If you want some, PM me and I'll get them going. Just give me longer than Amazon would to ship. I will be doing this on my rare free time.

Yudda

Adventurer
I would be very interested in two .
Shipped to FL :)

Have you thought of any way to mount them ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Its a lot better idea than my current method of letting it bounce in the passenger seat. I'll have to go see if theres room for one more item in the Jeep. Pretty crowded now.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Just put these to the test. Had 4 guys using them during our trail run on New Years. I had one set up in the vehicle with the cheap magnet mount external antenna and the speaker mic. All others had the standard hand held units. We were able to keep good clear communications all over the area we were in. At a couple different times we were separated by about 3-4 miles and down in a canyon. Amazingly we were still in clear FM contact. I must say I'm impressed with these. Prior to the trip I had also programmed everyone's radio with 12 of the open simplex frequencies under the AZ 2M and 70CM band plans. We were on 2M simplex the entire time.

I converted at least two more guys over to the world of HAM because of how well these worked. For $30 and a small test fee there just aren't many reasons not to do it. With my external antenna I've been able to drive all over the Tucson valley and keep in contact with the repeater near my house on the west fringe. I'll eventually install a dual band mobile in the jeep, but it's not a priority thanks to these units. The added bonus is that if you dump one and destroy it, you're only out a small amount versus the hundreds that the name brand units run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78