$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
madmax718,

Can you post up where you got the AAA pack?

Also, have you tried the battery delete adapater? The one that looks like a battery but plug straight into the 12v.

robgendreau

Explorer
There are a bunch of sellers, all from HK I think, on eBay selling AAA battery packs. Watch the voltage; I think you need a dummy battery with alkalines. NiMH should be fine without one I would expect, however. And I'm not sure the cases all fit the newer iterations of the UV5-RA or + or other variations.

I'm awaiting mine; I ordered a battery delete so I'll let you know how it works.

Rob

robgendreau

Explorer
I still have yet to receive my AAA battery pack (coming from HK), but I did get my battery delete and it works fine (from Etekcity/Amazon) with my UV5RA.

Great little radio; like the dual reception. Some issues with Chirp and programming on my Mac, but I've resolved those (driver issues; went to a FTDI chip).

Rob

robgendreau

Explorer
OK. Got the battery pack from 409shop in HK. Uses AAAs and a blank (you could probably just jump with a wire, but they sell these as well). Took about 2.5 weeks to get here.

The fit of the batteries is a bit iffy; I had to put a bit of the package it came with inside to make sure the batteries didn't move when I put it on the radio, otherwise I'd lose connection. But it fits the UV5Ra I just got from Amazon.

The battery delete also works well. Now I can just plug into DC in my vehicle. 409 also sells a cig plug to DC 10v out you can use with your OEM cradle to charge. Note that 10v... if you attach it to 12v using a pass-through you may fry your battery.

This is a fantastic little radio. I have a FT60 and it craps all over the UV5R in terms of receiving (and the squelch adjustment on the UV5R just stinks), but otherwise the UV5R is fine. And it has things like Vox, which the FT60 doesn’t. And a dual watch, which is handy. Can't beat it for the price.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
It looks to me like nobody has even mentioned MURS yet... The Baofeng made a perfect radio for car-to-car communications over the new(ish) MURS channels on our recent trip. We had three of them turned on for four days straight and never once heard another person using these channels.

(Yes, I know it's legally too powerful for MURS, but it's also not FCC certified for most of the other channels people have them on).

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, not type-certified for MURS either, but I'm not sure about the legality of that. You could always go low power; if you've got a good antenna that should be sufficient if you're working off-the-shelf MURS stuff.

I noted that if you search "MURS radio" on Amazon you come up with the Baofeng as the cheapest option...you'd have to research some to figure out you needed a license.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I noted that if you search "MURS radio" on Amazon you come up with the Baofeng as the cheapest option...you'd have to research some to figure out you needed a license.

From FCC.gov:
The Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required to operate a MURS device. You can operate a MURS device regardless of your age and for personal or business use so long as you are not a representative of a foreign government.The FCC service rules for the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) are located in 47 C.F.R. Part 95.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Yeah, not type-certified for MURS either, but I'm not sure about the legality of that. You could always go low power; if you've got a good antenna that should be sufficient if you're working off-the-shelf MURS stuff.

There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity at all about such questions:

fcc.gov said:
A MURS device must be certified by the FCC. A certified MURS device has an identifying label placed on it by the manufacturer...No MURS unit, under any condition of modulation, shall exceed 2 Watts transmitter power output.

7echo

Adventurer
Seems like a good radio option judging by reviews on Amazon and comments here. I think one of the best things is this particular Product Feature...

"More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features"

: )

madmax718

Explorer
I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but I was able to use the bao feng with FRS radio's. Worked reliably and well.

It could be of importance if you travel among other groups of people- more people today have the basic frs radios's than CB's and hams.

I got the cigarette lighter to base charger- its picky about its voltage, if anyone was curious. It would not work from my AC-DC converter, but did work from my DC battery directly.

My AAA pack did not come with a blank unfortunately. The fit was .. "eh". While I haven't tried the AA version (bigger pack physically) Im more inclined to give it a whirl.

robgendreau

Explorer
FRS and GMRS work, but again, not type approved for that. And there are power issues.

And speaking of power, be very careful about car charging. Some folks seem to be buying cig lighter plugs that fit into the OEM Baofeng cradle, and they charge this way. But if that cig lighter cable is just a pass-through you may be applying too much power to your battery. It'll probably charge, but runs the risk of overheating and doing a Dreamliner. The input voltage should be 10v, so check to see what your 12v cable provides. Many of the ones you see around just provide what your DC system provides; I had to search hard to find a 10v one to use with the stock cradle.

There's a TYT cradle with a 13.8 v (max) cable that fits the UV5R, but some even feel that puts in a bit too much juice for optimum charging, although there's not a risk of overheating since it's designed for the higher voltage.

User440

There may be a better thread for this, but does anyone have the higher power BaoFeng mobile/base units that can be mounted in a vehicle?

robgendreau

Explorer
I haven't seen a mobile yet, and it's not listed on their web page. Where'd you see one??

Wouxun makes one, and Powerwerx has what seems to be a nice mobile; both of these look to be of Chinese manufacture. And fairly cheap. The Powerwerx is a Part 90 radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears