Texas Hill Country Trip

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Working on projects as grand in scope as the Overland Routes Project requires plenty of scouting trips, and sometimes lots of patience. Fortunately for us, this trip required very little patience, and was by far the most successful scouting trip (with the least number of setbacks) that I have been a part of...

As much as I am making this sound like work, it wasn't. :) These trips, even when met with frustration from time to time, are usually just what I need to recharge my soul.

The group:

Mr. Leary, BattleWagon, Poot - 1999 Toyota 4Runner
Valkyrie - 1996 Toyota Tacoma Extra Cab
Coonass - 2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab
MikeWhoTroung - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Ash - 1997 Lexus LX470
Strizzo - 2010 Nissan Xterra

I'll start by telling this tale from my own perspective, and my companions can relay their experiences as well in the thread. Here we go...

The journey began on friday for me, as I finished hard mounting my GPS to my truck. I have also been plagued with electrical gremlins of late, and had attempted to resolve some of the issues, to no avail...

I headed down to Toyota of Dallas, and met up with the gang before leaving again to pick up two friends (BattleWagon and Poot on ExPo) and we rejoined the rest of the gang (Coonass and Valkyrie) outside Hico, TX.

We caravaned down to Inks Lake State Park where we camped the first night. Good friends and good times... perhaps a little too good. Epic conversations and plenty of adult beverages. We all agreed that we could not remember the last time we had laughed so hard for so long! :coffeedrink:

The following picture pretty well sums up the night...

IMG_0529.jpg

The following morning.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

After some aspirin and some water, we were all feeling like people again, and it was time to break camp and set off to meet up with MikeWhoTroung and Ash, who had caravaned in from Houston. While we were leaving the park, we noticed that Valkyrie's transfer case was leaking some fluid, and decided to investigate when we stopped for fuel. A transfer case flush and a new gasket later and the problem somewhat fixed, and we continued our journey to San Saba.

At San Saba city park we met up with the rest of the group, had a short meeting, and set off down 190 towards to the first dirt track. A typical Texas gravel and bladed road, it cut across the countryside with all the expected twists and bends that can be expected to access the hunting properties and ranches that dominate the landscape in the area. This area was relatively flat and the roads were well maintained, allowing us to travel quite quickly over the track. This road is where we encountered our only closed road section, which was immediately following a creek crossing, where the county road had apparently been closed and privatized, for about a 100 meter section (Insert choice words here). :mad:

Luckily it was not much of a setback, and we were able to find a very pretty little trail that looped us back to the north, where it rejoined the road, and we traveled back to the north for a few miles before catching a road to the east, which led us briefly to pavement.

This is where the trouble started. I missed the county road that we were supposed to take, and we ended up traveling through a very pretty section of wildlife managment property. Coonass had some trouble getting his 4wd to engage. Finally he got it to engage, and we were off up the steep climb to the top of the hill, where we meandered through a small valley, and encountered a gate... which was unlocked... lucky for us. After unwittingly entering a WMA that is county controlled and requires a permit, we exited as quickly as we were able. Sometimes this stuff happens. It was regrettable, but these unmarked trails can sometimes end up like that... and you don't realize that it is off limits until you come to the exit.

IMG_0550.jpg

After we closed the gate, we got out for a short water break, and I needed a few minutes to figure out exactly where I had gone wrong. We heard some trouble over the CB... Coonass could not get his truck back into 2hi. He and Valkyrie tried every trick under the sun to try to get the case to switch back to 2hi. Nothing worked. At this point, we decided to remove the actuator on this 2006 Tacoma and see what we could accomplish. Getting the actuator off proved to be a task in itself, but we eventually got it off and inspect the workings. The transfer case shifting rod was not moving freely, most likely due to lack of use (the previous owner had not ever put it in 4wd, and Coonass has been the owner of the truck less than a week). Valkyrie pulled, pushed, and hammered the stubborn rod into submission, and after burning himself on the catalytic converter multiple times, :coffeedrink: was ready to re-assemble the actuator and return it to its place on the transfer case. We all agreed that Coonass should leave his truck in 2wd until after returning home, in case the fix was not performed correctly.

It was hot. We were quickly coming to appreciate the finer points of air conditioning. A quick junction route on pavement through the small town of (forgot the name fill in later), we encountered an old homestead that had been burned out years ago... we stopped to take some pictures.

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
We were off again, traveling over the rolling hills, where we could see some very interesting rock formations from time to time. It was at one of these areas, a dried up creek bed, that we stopped for a group photo, which ended up looking more like a Toyota commercial.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Coonass overlooked a hole that swallowed the front half of the truck. A quick pull with the snatch strap and he was out. On the road again...

We set off down the road to rejoin the highway to Mason, TX.

Group picture... a little out of order...

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Coonass' very pretty Tacoma.

IMG_0541.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
We reached Mason, TX and decided to go ahead and top off the tanks while we waited for Strizzo to join us.

With the whole gang topped off, we headed south to James River Road, where we hoped to find a suitable campsite. A short search revealed an old trail down a dried up creek bed that ended at a very pretty and flat patch of limestone right on the James River, which was flowing at around six inches deep this time of year. A small drop off was all that separated the vehicles from the campsite that we had been searching for...

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

We made camp on the bank of the river, where we drew the attention of several bulls who stopped their grazing to familiarize themselves with their new neighbors.

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

A short diversion from the tale... The_Mrs. and I collect heart shaped rocks from the areas that we visit. I found something on the bank of the river that was rock and was sort of heart shaped, but decided that taking it with me was not feasable. :)

IMG_0603.jpg

Another wonderful evening with both new friends and old. Some not so fine wine and the proximity of the river convinced me that I was much better off in the river then on the fire ant riden shore line.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
During the night, the wind picked up, and I started to worry about what kind of trouble we could be in if there was rain and the river level rose more then about two feet... ended up with no rain and no issues. A wonderful morning to wake up to, and the river was refreshingly cool... felt good on my bitten feet.

We ate and then broke camp. Valkyrie and Coonass had prior engagements, and departed for home. The remaining travelers quickly found themselves thrust back into the beauty of the hill country and the not so common things that can be found there... a short river crossing (and a beautiful Lexus Cruiser BTW), then...

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

The road meandered over hill tops, through small valleys and creekbeds, and around natural rock formations that continued to dominate the landscape.

One of the may creek crossings that we encountered on our journey towards the bigger hills.

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Shortly thereafter we returned to free range cattle land. There was a Loose Livestock sign which warned us of what was to come. They were not kidding. Shortly after the sign, I saw this guy crossing HIS road. He was large and in charge (my guess 1200 lbs or so). :sombrero: We waited a few minutes for him to let us pass...

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

Mooooooooove!

IMG_0625.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Nearing the end of the trip, we found ourselves in the area with the most elevation change in the whole trip. Big hills (Texas mountains) and big dry river beds, with lots of trails leaving the road... most of which terminated at deer feeders or stands. We never could quite get close enough to a lone mesa that we spotted, but found an interesting little spot in the process.

IMG_0628.jpg

Strizzo climbed the nearby rock garden, and we returned to the main road.

IMG_0629.jpg

Another short trail stopped short of a rock formation that we were trying to investigate.

IMG_0630.jpg

Back to the road again... and we could see lots of neat looking trails, which were unfortunately behind closed gates. We passed an interesting cedar post fence that was just begging for a quick picture, and we were off again, sensing the end of our journey.

IMG_0632.jpg

One of the last things we saw seemed very fitting at the end of our 300 mile trek...

IMG_0633.jpg

We aired back up, and the group parted ways.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

Another great trip with a great group of folks. I always enjoy making new friends and seeing old ones again. I can't wait for another trip, maybe in cooler weather.

I took a picture of the result of my preferred weekend footwear. Near the end of the summer, Mr. Leary's feet look like this! It almost looks like I'm wearing white sandals! :coffeedrink:

IMG_0637.jpg

This is the end of my tale, but hopefully my companions will help me out for the places that I have missed, and to share the adventure from their perspective. :)

Last edited:

DarinM

Explorer
Sounds like a good time. Hope things will work out that I can make it out for the next one. Ended up dealing with work issues for much of the weekend - would have been a bad thing if I'd been out of touch.

Strizzo

Explorer
yeah no joke, we nearly drove right past without even seeing them, until someone said "hey, look zebras!"

central texas is home to a lot of exotic game ranches, but its usually just some axis deer or pronghorns, never seen a zebra before...

KSJeep

Explorer
Great trip guys, goes to show, you can still find adventure even in a place with minimal public land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior