J8 Expedition Project:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
But that is true for dozens of vehicles each year built by Land Rover, Mopar, Skunkworks, etc. Manufacturers build and test vehicles all the time that are not available to the public. We have an active role in testing vehicles for the OEMs because of the unique and challenging nature of our travels.

Threads like this are critical feedback to the manufacturer as they can gauge interest and critical review. Sure, we have the only J8 in civilian hands, but that is great news for everyone, as at least Jeep is evaluating suitability for this market. Despite this, the primary reason we have the J8 is our active involvement with US military training and equipment testing/specification.

If you look critically at your argument, it seems to be only seating in the emotional view that "you have something I (others) don't, so that is not fair". I would submit that you consider the reason we have the truck and why it benefits the community as a whole. Vehicles like the Trailhawk are based partially on feedback we provide the manufacturer during field testing. I do realize that we are very lucky (blessed) to have access to these trucks and we take our job seriously in testing and evaluating these platforms.

Unobtainium vehicles have always been tested/owned/driven by the few, but the manufacturer gauges the response to those vehicles by the masses to determine suitability for wider distribution.

Of course I am jealous, who would not be when reading about this fantastic platform....and being reminded time and again how great it is working for YOU while the rest of us just keep on typing how we want a small, simple, high payload diesel.

But I think YOU have to admit that the only reason you posted the pics was to promote YOU and all the cool things YOU get to do with toys WE don't get to play. Sure this is a forum that needs lots of eyeballs so that sponsors will PAY money to YOU and your partners that own this site. I get it, but the part that should be clear is that this is something no one else can have.

If you had posted an update of mileage, miles driven, service cost and long term eval that showed why Jeep should offer this and why we are correct or maybe incorrect to want this along with those pretty pics then I would not have felt as strongly the need to make it clear it is a fantasy vehicle.

Scott you mention eval'ing the rig for the manufacturer, well we would like to hear those thoughts also. That will draw some eyeballs and move the discussion forward. A bunch of pics and a "we still love it" is just promo fluff without meat.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks Dan. Strange though, not sure why Chrysler chose to do that. Anyone from Chrysler want to chime in?
Don't you see the aftermarket bliss of JK owners spending $5-45k on mods on their trucks?? J8 would get some love like this too.

I think the bankruptcy forced their hand.

I know Dave from AEV said he had been planning to release the DoKA way back in 2008/2009, but the economic crash caused him to put a hold on it. He has resurrected that now, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope the same thing might happen with the J8 in a few more years.
I'm an optimist, and I figure if AEV were 100% certain the J8 was never going to happen, they would have removed that entire section from their forums to stop people complaining about why they can't get it.

-Dan

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think the bankruptcy forced their hand.

I know Dave from AEV said he had been planning to release the DoKA way back in 2008/2009, but the economic crash caused him to put a hold on it. He has resurrected that now, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope the same thing might happen with the J8 in a few more years.
I'm an optimist, and I figure if AEV were 100% certain the J8 was never going to happen, they would have removed that entire section from their forums to stop people complaining about why they can't get it.

-Dan

Hopefully this will spur the J8 diesel on.... http://www.expeditionportal.com/veh...ed-2014-grand-cherokee-with-diesel-power.html

JDaPP

Adventurer
The primary objectives that were laid out for the J8 Habitat conversion are to create a utilitarian set of solutions to storage, water containment, sleeping arrangements, food preservation, cooking and power. All of the solutions that we have created will apply to any JK unlimited. All of the solutions have been defined in stages.

• Stage 1 means that the solutions preserve the factory rear seat configuration
  • Stage 2 means that the solutions require removal of the 2/3 section of the rear seat configuration
  • Stage 3 means that the entire factory rear seat configuration is removed.

All of the Stage levels are compatible with each other. For example, if you started with Stage 1 and wanted to go to Stage 2 or 3, all of your Stage 1 components are part of Stage 3 and hence all compatible etc. The vehicle can always be returned back to stock if desired.

The J8 will receive a Stage 2 set of solutions. The thought process is to build the vehicle to support 2 travelers while preserving the 3rd seat in the event of traveling in a country that may require hiring a "Fixer" or "Facilitator" to travel in restricted areas.

Our first part of this project is to create additional storage. We focused on the tire carrier. We decided that we needed a secure spot with quick & easy accessibility for recovery gear such as our snatch strap, shackles, winch controller & gloves. We adapted a prototype of a new product by Little Boys Offroad Toys called a "Gearsafe"

The J8 has a different tailgate structure than the JK so we started by cutting off the factory J8 tire carrier plate and welding in place the Gearsafe adapter plate.
Painted to match and Gearsafe installed
And there you have it! 11 gauge tough, powder coated and with a nifty combo lock.
More to come...

Are the gearsafes still available I can't find them on at's site, and I can't find the manufacturer site?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior