J8 Expedition Project:

I have still never been able to find a well documented article on the actual differences between the J8 and JKU platforms? I have heard a lot of speculation but never any concrete information.....

Anyone?

This may not answer specific questions regarding differences between the JKU and J8 frames, but it's entertaining nonetheless -try not to dance to the music though. Jeep J8 frame being built at the factory.

Maybe if you ask Scott nicely he will indulge your curiosity. :chowtime:

Rancho

Supporting Sponsor - Rancho Suspensions
I would love to see a specific list of the modifications and differences between the two vehicles. With pictures :)

Here is an album of our 4 door to a JK-8, FYI.

RCH_2870.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150308872229635.343845.111413864634&type=3

Rancho

Supporting Sponsor - Rancho Suspensions
Yeahhhhhhh I think were talking J8 not JK-8 haha. but still a nice album!

Ha! went back in reread it again. Correct, I saw the JKU as JK8. :)
And thanks it is fun to drive, that is for sure. Lucky to drive it a few times a year, will be mine for the first half of the King of the Hammers.

Mbogo

Observer
This may not answer specific questions regarding differences between the JKU and J8 frames, but it's entertaining nonetheless -try not to dance to the music though. Jeep J8 frame being built at the factory.

This frame looks hell for stout! It appears from the video that these frames are being built by a defense contractor. As fast as Jeep is cranking out JKUs, I wonder if their frames get the same loving attention shown in this video.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
No different from the $140,000 camper you drove around in for a few years.

Oh yes it is very very different as you of all people are very well aware but for the sake of the unwashed masses let's lay it out :) Oh and it was $111,000 but that is only a detail :)

1) Ordering it off the shelf:
J8..show me where to order it? Not something AEV builds, not something I have to put together but how does the average guy get a J8???
Sportsmobile...as an advertiser in OJ the info is there for contact, you can visit with Alan, Liz & Johnnie at the Overland Expo and climb all over one. You can visit the SMB West factory in Fresno and get a full tour and you can spec it out as you wish.

2) Paying for one:
J8...well since you can't get one this is a moot point. But if you do try to build your own (isn't the same thing) you have a tough road getting a bank to pay for that.
Sportsmobile...it is an RV so you can get a loan lots of places. I am an ICU RN, just a normal guy and I got a loan through State Farm Bank (my insurance guy told me about them). I also got the 2nd home deduction which helps make it affordable. Also as an RV you get longer term loans which isn't the smartest thing to do but hey I was doing it to help the disabled and have a cool toy right?

3) Insurance
J8...well it isn't a USA production rig so there are some mightly hoops as far as registration & insurance go depending on where you live
Sportsmobile...just a 4wd van RV, lots of ways to register and plenty of companies to insure

4) Ownership cost
J8...parts could be a problem, oh and who will service it
Sportsmobile...any Ford dealer and almost any mechanic for the Ford stuff, any 4wd shop for that part, any RV shop for that stuff...pretty basic so I would trust almost any decent mechanic shop

So which is really unobtainium? The rig of which there is 1 and we have to read about how great it is for the OJ guys to have. Or the one that has an entire other forum sportsmobileowners.com and it's own section here on Expo? Big ol' smiley :) to show I am not angry, just making a point.

I think it is great that you get cool toys like this from Jeep...but it ain't reality for the rest of us.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think it is great that you get cool toys like this from Jeep...but it ain't reality for the rest of us.

But that is true for dozens of vehicles each year built by Land Rover, Mopar, Skunkworks, etc. Manufacturers build and test vehicles all the time that are not available to the public. We have an active role in testing vehicles for the OEMs because of the unique and challenging nature of our travels.

Threads like this are critical feedback to the manufacturer as they can gauge interest and critical review. Sure, we have the only J8 in civilian hands, but that is great news for everyone, as at least Jeep is evaluating suitability for this market. Despite this, the primary reason we have the J8 is our active involvement with US military training and equipment testing/specification.

If you look critically at your argument, it seems to be only seating in the emotional view that "you have something I (others) don't, so that is not fair". I would submit that you consider the reason we have the truck and why it benefits the community as a whole. Vehicles like the Trailhawk are based partially on feedback we provide the manufacturer during field testing. I do realize that we are very lucky (blessed) to have access to these trucks and we take our job seriously in testing and evaluating these platforms.

Unobtainium vehicles have always been tested/owned/driven by the few, but the manufacturer gauges the response to those vehicles by the masses to determine suitability for wider distribution.

Healeyjet

Explorer
I for one and am glad there is a J8 out there being tested. Then maybe there is at least a small chance they will end up for sale to the general public. Remember when the H1 was out, no one ever anticipated they would end up being sold to the general public. I have no problem living a few minutes a month vicariously through Scott as he drivers in places and in vehicles I wish I had access to. I just wish for a change that I was the one that people wanted to live vicariously through! I also wish I could drive a Sportsmobile as they look to be an awesome platform as well. I had the opportunity to crawl inside one in Pomona this fall and they are very nice! Life is about the choices we make both with our careers and funds. Scott chose to take a risk and start a magazine and website that at the time he thought "may" someday allow him to test some wild vehicles and get to some great locations. His gamble seems to have paid off well. Now if he could just convince Chrysler to make the J8 public in North America I would be very grateful!
Ward

Frank

Explorer
Not sure if this link has been posted yet, but here is a website with a great deal of info about the J8

http://www.jeep-j8.com/

Also, if I may add my $.02 on 'special vehicles' ...all big-3 automakers cater to the go-fast crowd in production form with one-off/low production vehicles. No reason they cant do the same to the off-road/overland crowd.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Unobtainium vehicles have always been tested/owned/driven by the few, but the manufacturer gauges the response to those vehicles by the masses to determine suitability for wider distribution.

This is where I'm confused. AEV has been talking about the J8 officially coming for what, years now? I assume that means they have lots of interest, could actually sell many of them...that AEV wouldn't be getting us all jacked up about the J8 only to let us down, they don't seem like that type of company. However, from what I've read from AEV, hurdles with Chrysler aren't allowing the J8 to be released.
It'd be sure nice to know the fully skinny about what's holding it all up.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This is where I'm confused. AEV has been talking about the J8 officially coming for what, years now? I assume that means they have lots of interest, could actually sell many of them...that AEV wouldn't be getting us all jacked up about the J8 only to let us down, they don't seem like that type of company. However, from what I've read from AEV, hurdles with Chrysler aren't allowing the J8 to be released.
It'd be sure nice to know the fully skinny about what's holding it all up.

Chrysler pulled the plug, there was nothing AEV could do.

The program is done, AEV will not be releasing J8's to the public.

-Dan

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Please Keep the J8 posts coming! Even though I can never own one I am very intrigued by the J8. A modern jeep with a 3/4 ton chassis is an awesome concept to me! To think if the US had a small SUV option that you could drive for 20 years with little more than routine maintenance and little to no "fluff" with a bulletproof drivetrain and frame! A new ferrari is unobtanium to me but that doesn't mean I don't want read about or dream about one!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Chrysler pulled the plug, there was nothing AEV could do.

The program is done, AEV will not be releasing J8's to the public.

-Dan

Thanks Dan. Strange though, not sure why Chrysler chose to do that. Anyone from Chrysler want to chime in?
Don't you see the aftermarket bliss of JK owners spending $5-45k on mods on their trucks?? J8 would get some love like this too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998