J8 Expedition Project:

Scott Brady

Founder
The J8 still showing its worth after years of hard work. This time we used it with the USMC on a field evolution. Metric-ton capacity, FLIR, small-displacement turbo diesel and bomber drivetrain.
23368_10151623054753275_2123576812_n.jpg

306514_10151623054993275_1468003113_n.jpg

6403_10151623055043275_297477601_n.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
And pretty much completely unobtainium for the average US overlander....right?

Don't get me wrong, super cool and if Jeep would offer it in the US then I would be seriously thinking about one instead of converting my old burb to diesel.
But they aren't.
And they won't.
Regardless of how often they hear from our community the reality is we are a tiny voice in a sea of vehicle buyers/Fed reg's/cost analysis.

So very cool that is working for you, even cooler that you and other in the Overland Empire get to play with unobtainium toys but the reality is the rest of us are like Ghetto kids riding by the private school playground looking out our window wistfully.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
And pretty much completely unobtainium for the average US overlander....right?

Don't get me wrong, super cool and if Jeep would offer it in the US then I would be seriously thinking about one instead of converting my old burb to diesel.
But they aren't.
And they won't.
Regardless of how often they hear from our community the reality is we are a tiny voice in a sea of vehicle buyers/Fed reg's/cost analysis.

So very cool that is working for you, even cooler that you and other in the Overland Empire get to play with unobtainium toys but the reality is the rest of us are like Ghetto kids riding by the private school playground looking out our window wistfully.

Which is a bit strange since Mopar seems to be the manufacturer with the coolest Skunkworks, take their Skunk rigs to Easter Jeep Safari, etc etc. But yet when it comes to a very usable and cool rig like the JK8(haven't they seen how popular their JK's seem to be?), it doesn't arrive. Political red tape and bureaucratic B.S. perhaps?

As Scott has stated previously, Jeep is selling as many JK's as they can make right now.

Besides, It's unlikely they would sell very many J8's on the U.S.market. For example, most pre 2012 JK owners complain about the under powered performance of the 3.8L engine. The J8 probably accelerates in the same disappointing manner. But what about the other perks? Sure, it has a D60 in the rear, but those can be had on the aftermarket either new or you can build your own; it's leaf sprung in the rear, if in 2007 Jeep had released the JK with rear leaves, nearly all Jeep enthusiasts would have picketed Jeep headquarters; it's not any more capable off road than a JKU Rubicon, in fact it's probably worse in some scenarios -it has open differentials. It's possible that they may sell a few to contractors, but they don't have the same cargo space as a pickup or industrial van. In all likelihood, they would probably sell 300 or less a year, hardly an incentive considering their success with the current line up.

So what do you really get with the J8? Better fuel economy, torque, a more rugged construction, and a much increased load capacity. What do you get with the JKU? A better ride, ergonomics, agility, 500lb lighter chassis, much quieter interior, lockers, ...and with a ~20% lower price tag. What you do with that extra $15,000 will most likely make you much happier in the long run.

*Just the casual observation of someone who has no actual experience with the J8 (but still wants one too).

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The J8 still showing its worth after years of hard work. This time we used it with the USMC on a field evolution. Metric-ton capacity, FLIR, small-displacement turbo diesel and bomber drivetrain.

Hey Scott,

Where is that J8 registered?

Thanks,
-Dan

AFSOC

Explorer
As Scott has stated previously, Jeep is selling as many JK's as they can make right now.

Besides, It's unlikely they would sell very many J8's on the U.S.market. For example, most pre 2012 JK owners complain about the under powered performance of the 3.8L engine. The J8 probably accelerates in the same disappointing manner. But what about the other perks? Sure, it has a D60 in the rear, but those can be had on the aftermarket either new or you can build your own; it's leaf sprung in the rear, if in 2007 Jeep had released the JK with rear leaves, nearly all Jeep enthusiasts would have picketed Jeep headquarters; it's not any more capable off road than a JKU Rubicon, in fact it's probably worse in some scenarios -it has open differentials. It's possible that they may sell a few to contractors, but they don't have the same cargo space as a pickup or industrial van. In all likelihood, they would probably sell 300 or less a year, hardly an incentive considering their success with the current line up.

So what do you really get with the J8? Better fuel economy, torque, a more rugged construction, and a much increased load capacity. What do you get with the JKU? A better ride, ergonomics, agility, 500lb lighter chassis, much quieter interior, lockers, ...and with a ~20% lower price tag. What you do with that extra $15,000 will most likely make you much happier in the long run.

*Just the casual observation of someone who has no actual experience with the J8 (but still wants one too).

Very well developed post. I agree with your points. One thing I do think that the J8 holds over the JKU that cannot be addressed in the aftermarket is exclusivity. The J8 is a great package but isn't a formula for commercial success. For 99.99% of any consumer application it is a solution looking for a problem. The JKU can do most anything a J8 can do but is much more palatable for the masses.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
The problem with exclusivity is that in order for it to make sense for a company to offer, it will be very expensive...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have still never been able to find a well documented article on the actual differences between the J8 and JKU platforms? I have heard a lot of speculation but never any concrete information.....

Anyone?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I have still never been able to find a well documented article on the actual differences between the J8 and JKU platforms? I have heard a lot of speculation but never any concrete information.....

Anyone?

What kind of stuff do you want to know?
like the J8 has a reinforced frame, bigger axles, bigger breaks, leafs in the rear, etc. etc.

Obviously Dave from AEV knows everything, he's always happy to answer questions over at the AEV discussion forums.

There is also a guy in some other country who just got a J8 and is driving it around there...he's answered a few questions for us.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would love to see a specific list of the modifications and differences between the two vehicles. With pictures :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998